1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible College

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by scraver, May 2, 2003.

1. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Neither do I. Let me explain. I came from a Pentecostal Charismatic background. I'm in a distinct possition to refute certain things according to personal knowledge. Tongues that are being spoken in the charasmatic church, bare no resemblance to the tongues of the Bible.

True tongues are when a person speaks and it is understood by believers in their own language, no matter what language it is spoken in. Acts 2:6.

Now, if you differ in your finding of when they will cease, I understand. Some think that "that which is made perfect" means the second coming of Jesus Christ. Some believe that because tongues were meant to communicate God's word preceding the Bible, that the Bible is "that which is made perfect".

The thing I have a problem with , is understanding what tongues were, and what they are today, and why they aren't the same? If a beleiver should be able to understand that which is spoken in tongues in their native language, then why don't more people understand it? I wonder sometimes if this hasn't been perverted into an "Emperors New Cloths" kind of thing for the same reasons.

In Christ,
    Laurenda

editted to add: P.S. I realize that you didn't post this for debate. So, I won't continue to debate the issue of tongues if you don't address what I've said, it will just drop.

I do feel however that you would be hard pressed to find a Baptist Bible College that believes in the practice of speaking in tongues today. You may have to look outside of the Baptist denomination. As I believe someone has already suggested. ;)

[ May 12, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Wisdom Seeker ]