1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Colleges Citation Styles

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by kathleenmariekg, Dec 3, 2020.

1. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What citation style did your Bible college use? Do you use a citation style, now? Which one(s) and for what?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Turabian preferred, although at times I have had to use MLA or APA, depending on the professor or course.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did anyone use SBL or straight Chicago for their Biblical papers, instead of Turabian? Are undergraduate Bible course papers sometimes written in MLA, or just gen ed course papers?

Because of my "print disability" I do have access to a lot of textbooks and some style guides, even though I have no access to Atla. I was able to download the SBL style guide. I have to redownload it thought, because I seem to have lost it on my harddrive. I can be such a scatterbrain at times.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Turabian is basically a short version of Chicago, I would see no benefit in using (or paying for) the latter unless you were a printed book publisher.

As Turabian states, it is intended for papers, theses, and dissertations.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience, knowledge and opinions on this topic!

6. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    #6 kathleenmariekg, Dec 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Turabian seems to be the preferred. I am writing an historical article for a denominational publishing house, and the editor of the project prescribed Turabian, 9th edition. I have a third edition from the old days. He said that one of the main changes in the 9th edition is that "ibid" is no longer used. I found a 9th edition style guide online (I didn't intend to buy one).
    https://lib.trinity.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Turabian-9th-ed-Author-Date_rev.pdf

Short rant: sometimes it appears to me that (at least in certain cases) prescribing a certain style is as much or more about maintaining a position of control than it is about presenting footnotes in a format that is intuitive for any general reader.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks!!!

It is a challenge to take all that I learned previously at a secular college and apply it to scripture and the professed purpose of Christian writing.

I took a class on the myths and stereotypes of Latinx culture and so many things we talked about concerning language were so different than what was taught by our white English professors. Privately, a few of us students talked about the overlap of a variety of different kinds of experiences we had in churches on the topics of distrust of academia and issues of language and poverty.

In the secular world, access to scholarly articles keeps the classes separate. Most of our professors had far more access to databases currently and during their their schooling than we had access to. And "plagiarism" was taught as illegal in general, and then the definition of plagiarism was extended far past what was illegal. I had more access than my peers through some unusual contacts, but I cried through conversations where we discussed this topic in general. And then I wrote a paper on the disparity of access instead of staying more tightly on the topic assigned. I struggled to write the assigned paper because I was being locked out of information entirely or banned from using what my contacts gave me and told me unless I could prove I got that information from behind a Western paywall, I got more and more angry and disillusioned with the professed goals of our college and academia in general.

And now ... I am even more confused.

I understand that a secular publisher is a business and setting a standard that everyone adheres to creates consistency for intended audience of the publisher. That is usually the most profitable and efficient method to make profits. This is easier for me to submit to than lack of access to information. But it still is an issue, because the lengths that it takes to follow all the rules are increasingly relieved with expensive software. When high-prices colleges set up and maintain templates that students just type in short bits of info or merely click and it spits out the required "legal" version, those students are at an advantage.

The primary goals of Baptist education are what? All this facilitates that?

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    APA, MLA, and Chicago/Turabian.

I think it depends on the type of writing, but am not sure (it may be that things simply change). When I started college my major was computer related and we used APA, and later studying business we used APA. I think when studying literature we used MLA. I know in seminary we used Chicago/Turabian.

But my education was across two colleges and two universities, so maybe it was preferences of the school?

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    The MLA and APA sounds typical of what I would expect in those courses at a any secular school, but I am no expert. Writing an community college paper on this topic definitely doesn't make me an expert, even if I had a passion for the topic. My English professors found me tedious at times, and one once literally begged me, "Just answer the prompt, PLEASE!"

• Like Like x 1
  11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on what types of courses you are taking. There are three main types being mla (english courses), apa (psych courses) and turabian (theo courses).

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some high schools and community colleges extend MLA past what it is designed for because they only fully teach one style. I was not sure if some Bible colleges extended whatever they used for Bible papers to the other courses, especially if those classes were taught with a very Bible centered approach, focused on non-secular goals like spreading the Gospel.

As I continue to poke around on college websites, the goals of Bible colleges seem to be the same as secular colleges and Bible seems more pasted onto secular goals than part of the goal. So I guess, now, I expect the typical secular assignments of styles.

I think I am disappointed. I think I wanted to find ... I don't know what I wanted to find, but something different.

I just found a list of student papers that I am not sure if I had access to or not. The titles were so meaningless that I just closed the tab. If that is the endgoal of some colleges, I know that is NOT what I want to learn.

13. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it ironic that this article is behind a paywall.

Project MUSE - Biblical Studies, COVID-19, and Our Response to Growing Inequality

Biblical Studies, COVID-19, and Our Response to Growing Inequality
    Roger S. Nam

SBL promotes the academic study of biblical texts to foster the understanding of religion and to cultivate empathy in our diverse world.

—Society of Biblical Literature
    Our interpretations of what it means “to cultivate empathy in our diverse world” have surely shifted since the beginnings of the present pandemic. This brief essay will explore the potential impact of COVID-19 on our guild, particularly as it relates to the growing inequality made stark in recent events. As a comparison, I will present a summative review of shifts in the field of economics in light of the 2008–2009 Great Recession and the 2020 pandemic. This review will propel a self-reflective question: How will the biblical studies scholarly communities respond to the experiences of COVID-19? As an academic society, we may choose to ignore the inequalities magnified by the pandemic and reify the existing norms of our field. Or perhaps these events can catalyze the beginnings of a transformation to more profound societal impact congruent with our official statement. I propose that the tragic pandemic and its racialized responses can compel biblical scholars to renew our commitments to mediate between texts and reading communities, particularly in the face of endemic patterns of inequality. By doing so, we may more effectively abide by our own stated mission to cultivate empathy.

14. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the record, this is a politically incorrect term despite what the media and the Democrats think.

Second, Liberty used Turabian for all School of Divinity papers.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Latinx was the title of my class, and the reason Latinx was used as the title describes the content of that class, which included discussion of linguistics and politics. Latinx is a very controversial term. Thank you for pointing out, that I might not want to carry over the term used in the title of my class to describe current events, unless I am choosing to carry over the worldview taught in that class.

Thank you for the information about citations at Liberty!