1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Commentary

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by broken4u, May 7, 2011.

1. broken4u

broken4u New Member

What is a good Old Testament Commentary to complement my Macarthur, New Testament commentary set? I have a few NAC Old Testament commentaries, but they are NIV based and I’m looking for something based on the NASB translation. Thank you for your help.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

NICOT is good but incomplete. Keil/Delitzsch is quite good but you need a little Hebrew knowledge. Tyndale's OT series is good.

I would not buy all the NACs for the OT or NT. While a few are very good, most are snoozers. NICOT/NICNT are good, but the Hendriksen set (also with Kistemaker) is IMHO the best available, but only availble on the NT. If there was a comparable one for the OT, I'd chuck the rest of my commentaries in my library!

Don't ignore Calvin's volumes (an exegetical master) nor the Matthew Poole 3 vol set.