1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Museums and Collections

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Feb 17, 2009.

1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

You should open your own museum!

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whew, don't get me started on samurai "ethics" and "morality." This is the land of the "ethical" suicide.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a tremendous collection which you obviously took much time and trouble and finances to collect. Do you ever display it in public?

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After seeing Logos1560's list of his fabulous collection, I'm kind of shy about listing more of mine. But anyway here are some fairly old Greek NTs that I have.

I have the Critical Greek and English Testament of M. A. Scholz (1794-1852). It has no date, but judging from Scholz's life must have been printed well before the Civil War. It is a TR giving the readings of the 1550 Stephanus, 1598 Beza, 1633 Elzevir, as well as Greisbach.

I have the 1838 Stephanus TR of Cura C. Williams.

I have the 18th edition of Nestle's, 1952. Not so old, but kind of historical.

I have the two volume American edition of Westcott and Hort, 1887. The interesting thing about this one is that it had in it an 1883 letter from Westcott to an American.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a few interesting versions in other languages.

1926 edition of the Wordsworth & White Latin Vulgate NT. It is interesting because it has an apparatus of the Latin mss.

I have a Chinese Bible in the mainland script (the Communists simplified many of the characters) which was printed here in Japan for smuggling into China back in the early 1980s. I gave out many of these to Chinese people from various places (China, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc.) while I was in Japanese language school 1981-1982. The Taiwanese would not take them because the mainland script was illegal there.

I have a reprint of the Ainu NT published in 1897 by John Batchelor. The Ainu were the indigenous people of Japan, mostly wiped out or assimilated for many centuries. Many of the place names here in Hokkaido are Ainu.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ll mention just three more Bibles I have and be done. These are all three English and fairly recent, but unusual I think.

I have a lovely little KJV NT brought to me as a gift by my sister when she went to the Holy Land. It has solid olive wood covers that are beautiful.

An ex-Green Beret friend gave me a paperback NIV pocket Bible that is given out to all the Green Berets. I don’t know if there is some ministry that gives these out; it is printed by the International Bible Society. It has a photo of paratroopers on the front and the title “The Way to Liberty.” The back has the Special Forces logo and Latin motto: De Oppresso Liber, “To Liberate the Oppressed.” Inside are many helpful notes, references and explanations, including an invitation to trust Christ. The only thing I don’t like is an idolatrous prayer to “St. Michael the Archangel,” supposedly the patron saint of airborne soldiers. I think it’s bizarre that this would be included.

My treasure and favorite of all English Bibles and Testaments is my 8½ x 11 size pictorial NT put out by the ABS in the 1960’s. On every single page it has sepia photographs of the Holy Land, manuscripts, artifacts etc. It’s just beautiful! But what makes this NT even more special is that it was given to me by my beloved grandparents on my 14th birthday in 1965.

The inscription says, “To John Rice Himes. Congratulations on your 14th birthday and love and pride and great expectations from your Granddad and Grandmother Rice. God bless you.”
    (Signed) John R. Rice, Ps. 126:6
    (Signed) Lloys C. Rice, Ps. 16:11

My grandparents named me and helped my parents raise me in many ways. When I went to college, I found I had to prove who my grandparents were to a skeptical hall monitor with this NT. Ironically, shortly after joining the BB I was also asked by a the BB powers-that-be to prove I was John R. Rice’s grandson. After college, I lived with Grandma and Grandpa Rice for over a year and on their property for several more, prayed with them, read the Bible with them, played games with them and served God with them. Their memory is very precious to me.

I thank God for my grandparents, but even more for my parents. (Mom was their second daughter.) When I was called to preach, Dad called me into his pastor’s study and among other encouraging things said, holding his Bible, “Son, always base everything you preach on this Book.” I’ve always tried to obey that. I deeply love the Word of God, and my best days in the ministry are when I can spend much time, sometimes all day studying, meditating on, preparing messages from and translating God’s Holy Bible. I hope you feel the same.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Where did you come across these? I would love to have one of these. But what I really want is at least a page of an actual 1569 Reina.

Not to highjack the thread at all, but the history of the Spanish Bible is a worthwhile study even for non-Spanish speakers to study. Its a wonderful testimony of the preservation of the Scriptures.

8. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had obtained them through a KJV-only web site[Valera Bible Society, Pensacola, Florida].

The 1569 Spanish Bible facsimile had actually been printed by Mestiza Press, 1555 N. Vermon Ave. #207, Los Angeles, CA 90027
    ISBN 978-0-9743696-7-9
    www.mestizapress.com I don't know if this original printer of the facsimile has any more copies available.

When I later ordered the 1569 facsimile, the Valera Bible Society had been out of the 1602 Valera Spanish facsimile. I do not know if they were able to obtain any more.
    The 1602 Spanish Valera facsimile had been originally reprinted by Sociedad Biblica in Madrid in 2002. ISBN 84-8083-075-1

9. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a number of other translations that could be considered interesting or unusual. I also have copies of several of the present day English translations.

1798 Scarlett's New Testament [photocopy]
    1851 English translation of Syriac Peshitta N. T. by James Murdock [photocopy]
    1933 English translation of Syriac Peshitta by George Lamsa
    1862 Young's Literal Translation [paperback reprint]
    1874 American Bible Union N. T. [second edition]
    1881 Revised New Testament
    1885 English translation by John Nelson Darby [later edition]
    1897 Rotherham's The Emphasized Bible [later edition]
    1901 ASV
    1912 Improved Edition published by American Baptist Publication Society

1853 English O. T. by Isaac Leeser [later edition of it]
    Magil's Linear School Bible [Genesis-Deut.]
    1916 English O. T. by Alexander Harkavy
    1917 Holy Scriptures According to Masoretic Text by Jewish Publication Society
    1985 Tanakh

1953 edition of John Wesley's 1755 N. T.

1833 revision of KJV by Noah Webster as reprinted in 1987
    1962 Children's Version of the Holy Bible by Jay Green
    1962 Teen-Age Version of the Holy Bible by Jay Green
    1967 New Scofield
    1970 King James II New Testament in paperback by Jay Green
    1987 Interlinear Bible with Literal Translation by Jay Green
    1990 Modern KJV
    1994 21st Century KJV
    1994 Majority Text Interlinear
    1998 Third Millennium Bible
    2000 KJV2000
    2002 King James Easy-Reading Study Bible
    2006 AV7 or New Authorized Version

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

¡muchísimas gracias!

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does this edition include both Testaments?

How do they principally differ from one another?In particular, how much do they differ from the KJV?

Is this another Jay Green production?

What publisher?How much does it differ from the Blayney?

Which publishers?How much do they differ from the 1769 version?

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And once again you've blown me away. :love2: I haven't even heard of some of these!

13. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it includes both Old and New Testaments. I do not remember the source from which I ordered and obtained it in 1996. The listed publishers on the back of the title page are Believers Bookshelf Inc., P. O. Box 261, Sunbury, PA 17801 and Believers Bookshelf Inc., P. O. Box 242, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont. Canada

14. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not had time to compare Green's Children's Version and Teen-Age Version. Since they are both copyrighted the same year, it could be possible that they are the same in text. At least the layout and page numbers of the text of both editions seem to match. For example, the last page of the book of Revelation in the New Testament end with the same page number and begin with the exact same words of the middle of verse 2 of chapter 22. They were both printed by McGraw-Hill.
    The updating and revision work of Jay Green in these 1962 Bibles for children and teenagers likely were much of the foundation for his later 1972 KJV II and later Modern KJV.
    Yes, the Modern KJV was edited by Jay Green. The edition I have was printed in 1990, but I think that the first edition may have been earlier. I do know that there are some differences between Jay Green's 1972 KJ II Bible and his later Modern KJV. I know that there are even more differences between Green's Modern KJV and his Literal Translation in his Interlinear Bible that was also be printed as a separate translation.For one thing, while the MKJV has Jehovah many times where the KJV does not (Exod. 15:3, 2 Sam. 7:20, 28, Ps. 8:1, 9, 140:7, 141:8, Song of Sol. 8:6, Isa. 10:16, 38:11, Ezek. 25:3, 32:31, 34:10, 17, 30, 36:23, Hab. 3:19, etc.), Green's Literal Translation seems to have "Jehovah" consistently for "LORD" as the 1901 ASV did.

I cannot say with certainty, but Green's Modern KJV does not seem to vary as much from the KJV as the NKJV does. Green's changes are perhaps mostly updating of archaic words and phrases, but there are at least some translational differences with the KJV with some of them in agreement with the NKJV.
    Here are some examples:
    Gen. 30:37 hazel (KJV) almond (NKJV, MKJV)
    Gen. 36:24 mules (KJV) water (NKJV) hot springs (MKJV)
    Exod. 20:13 kill (KJV) murder (NKJV, MKJV)
    Lev. 11:19 lapwing (KJV) hoopoe (NKJV, MKJV)
    Lev. 11:30 ferret (KJV) gecko (NKJV, MKJV)

15. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 1994 21st Century KJV or KJ21 and the 1998 Third Millennium Bible are both copyrighted by the same publisher Deuel Enterprises. The 1994 KJ21 is claimed to be only an updating of archaic words or language in the KJV, and that claim is accurate at least over all. The main difference between the KJ21 and the 1998 TMB is that the TMB includes the Apocrypha. There are at least a few slight differences in the text of the O. T. and N. T. between the two. They both would be more like than the KJV than either the MKJV or the NKJV. It is very likely that there are many fewer differences between the KJV and the KJ21 than there are between the 1611 KJV and the 1568 Bishops' Bible.

The publisher of the 2002 King James Easy-Reading Study Bible was a KJV defender. D. A. Waite's son had assisted in some of its updating and most or perhaps all of it is based on the definitions in Waite's DEFINED KJB. Its publisher is listed as G. E. M. Publishing, P. O. Box 5040, Goodyear, AZ 85338 www.swordbible.net ISBN 0-9668907-6-0 It likely has less updating than the KJ21, perhaps much less. It updates the archaic verb forms such as the "eth" endings and the archaic pronouns "ye," "thee," and "thy" and a few archaic words. For some archaic words it underlines them and gives a definition for them at the end of the verse. It has four pages that lists the words that it changed.

The 2006 AV7 was compiled and published by Communication Architects for the New Authorized Version Foundation [Meza, AZ] [www.AV7.org] Its title page stated: "AV7 closely follows the time-honored traditional English text commonly known as the Authorized Version or KJV, with recognized errors corrected, obsolete and archaic words and phrases updated to present-day English, and with many refinements and enhancements." I have not had the paperback edition of it I obtained very long and have not yet compared it to other updated KJV editions.