1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible promises

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by trainbrainmommy, Feb 9, 2007.

1. trainbrainmommy

trainbrainmommy New Member

Are there promises in the Bible made to specific individuals that do not apply directly to us today? I guess I am thinking of OT saints, mainly.

Personally, I feel there were promises made that are not for us to claim, but am not sure I could sustantiate my opinion at this point. And how do we differentiate between when we can or can't claim them personally?

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course there are many. God promises David to make him the King of Israel. That doesn't apply to us.

God promised Simeon he would not see death until he saw the Christ (Luke 2:25). I expect to die before I see Christ.

and so on

peace to you:praying:

3. johnp.

johnp. New Member

John 16:23 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.

One doesn't need to collect on the promises of God they are ours. LK 15:28 "The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, `Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!' 31 " `My son,' the father said, `you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.

JAS 5:17 Elijah was a man just like us.

How is that trainbrain?

john.