1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Quotations by Early Baptists

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Jerome, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this the Geveva Bible being quoted?
    (From the First London Baptist Confession)

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, they appear to be from the KJV. But if you check the notes you will find that Article 15 references the Geneva:

(Emphasis added)

Be not called doctors: for one is your doctor, euen Christ. Matthew 23:10, Geneva Bible.

Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, euen Christ. KJV, Bishops

So it would appear that the Baptists who crafted the document were in transition, having adopted the KJV but still retaining the memory of the Geneva, to which they referred when they felt it appropriate.

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

The verses do seem to be more like the KJV than most Geneva editions I looked at. But the quotations are not very precise, which is probably why you questioned them. For examples, Matthew 5:11 is completely missing the phrase "and persecute you". They did not include the first words of John 18:23 ("Jesus answered him"). There are some other individual missing words in the Confession verses ("for", "but", and "shall" twice).

For some unknown reason, the two verses from Psalm 74 are displayed in reverse order.

Additionly, there are some word differences between the verse citations and the KJV. For examples, the Confession has "mine own cause" but the KJV has "thine own cause"; and the Confession has "foolish man blasphemeth" (Coverdale's choice) but the KJV has "foolish man reproacheth" (Psalm 74:22). The confession has "that we have seen" but the KJV has "which we have seen" in Acts 4:20. Plus there are several spelling, punctuation, and capitaization discrepancies.

That is a lot of anomalies in a few (mostly short) verses.

#3 franklinmonroe, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
  4. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since there were some early Baptists in England who had knowledge of the original languages and who could have make their own English translation of verses, that could be a possible reason for the differences.

Another possible reason for variations could be that someone wrote a verse from memory rather than copying it from an actual printed edition.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I try to do all my exposition from the Greek. Using a variety of Greek texts. If folks here and I started discussing theology and pulled out verses, many I think would do our own translating or pull up phrases from various favored translations. Few would be sticklers word-for-word for any single translation.

Remember, the 1644 (later revised in 1670's and printed in 1689 as 2nd London Baptist Confession) was already 30 years - a generation AFTER the beloved Geneva Bible had been forbidden to be printed in England.

I take good care of my "main" preaching Bible version, but it usually lasts 10-15 years tops before I must shelve it.

Side note: I'm not sure what was the worse crime against Baptists - offering a new improved Anglican Version or stopping the printing and importation of previous translations.