1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Scholarship.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Ehud, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Ehud

Ehud New Member

I was wondering if there are any Bible scholar(s) - translator(s) today that could match the scholarship of any of the translators of the 1611 or that of Tyndale.

Tyndale new 8 languages as if they were his native tongue.

Lancelot Andrews was the Chairman of the overall committee and was the greatest linguist of his day, being conversant with fifteen languages! His manual for private devotions, prepared by him, is wholly in the Greek language.

John Bois was able to read the Bible in Hebrew at the age of five years! He was a proficient Greek scholar at the age of fourteen and for years he spent from 4 o'clock in the morning till 8 o'clock at night in the Cambridge library studying manuscripts and languages. His library contained one of the most complete collections of Greek literature ever assembled.

Ehud

2. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Yes, if it weren't for Bois, the Apocrypha would not be as eloquent in the King James Version as it is.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm teaching my two year-old grandson Hebrew.
    Maybe someday...

Anyway people travel more widely and more easily than in past centuries.
    Multi-lingual people are not that rare.

One need only read a modern-day Biblical Hebrew (or Greek) grammar book to see that the study of biblical languages has advanced beyond what was know 400 years ago.

Rob

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ehud:I was wondering if there are any Bible scholar(s) - translator(s) today that could match the scholarship of any of the translators of the 1611 or that of Tyndale.

Of course! They now have tools such as these PCs, a whole barge load of mss not known 400 years ago, the ability to communicate with other instantly while thousandsa miles apart, and all the work of their predecessors, to name a few of their advantages.

5. Ehud

Ehud New Member

Computer vs. human intellect

I would think artificial intelligence is different then real God gifted human intellect.
    I am talking about personal intelligence. Not some one who can just push buttons to bring up a language he really knows nothing about.

Ehud

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

How can you make this claim? Listing the accomplishments of 3 scholars from long ago...how does that prove that a modern-day scholar is ignorant?

I don't get that leap of logic.

7. Ehud

Ehud New Member

rbell reply

I did not say Modern day scholarship is Ignorant. Nor was I trying to Prove they were

I have many Greek programs and Hebrew programs on my computer. I can tell you
    "In the original language" or "In the Greek this word means" this and I can compare Greek words throughout the New Testament. This does not mean I know the language.

this does not prove a person is smarter or dumber. I could communicate with a thousand freshman seminary or other scholars. This does not make a person smarter.

This statement has already proven not true on the Greek text thread.

Put Tyndale or one of the translators in the same room with the top scholar of today, who would come out on top. How would the scholarship stack up man for man, brain for brain, learning for learning.

Ehud

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever argued that these guys did not do a good job with what they had???