1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible software

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by av1611jim, Dec 12, 2004.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Hi gang!
    I have a couple questions.
    1. What Bible software do you have/use?
    2. What are you opinions of Sword searcher?

And now if you will indulge me for a moment: I would like to test my new stuff and ability to use it. I have gotten really frustrated trying to type the passages I refer to in my posts, so I am here testing A NEW SKILL !
    -------------------------------------------------
    From Matthew Henry's commentary;

Joh 1:1

The apostle and evangelist, John, seems to have been the youngest of the twelve. He was especially favoured with our Lord's regard and confidence, so as to be spoken of as the disciple whom Jesus loved. He was very sincerely attached to his Master. He exercised his ministry at Jerusalem with much success, and outlived the destruction of that city, agreeably to Christ's prediction, ch. Joh 21:22. History relates that after the death of Christ's mother, John resided chiefly at Ephesus. Towards the close of Domitian's reign he was banished to the isle of Patmos, where he wrote his Revelation. On the accession of Nerva, he was set at liberty, and returned to Ephesus, where it is thought he wrote his Gospel and Epistles, about A. D. 97, and died soon after. The design of this Gospel appears to be to convey to the Christian world, just notions of the real nature, office, and character of that Divine Teacher, who came to instruct and to redeem mankind. For this purpose, John was directed to select for his narrative, those passages of our Saviour's life, which most clearly displayed his Divine power and authority; and those of his discourses, in which he spake most plainly of his own nature, and of the power of his death, as an atonement for the sins of the world. By omitting, or only briefly mentioning, the events recorded by the other evangelists, John gave testimony that their narratives are true, and left room for the doctrinal statements already mentioned, and for particulars omitted in the other Gospels, many of which are exceedingly important.

The Divinity of Christ. (Joh 1:1-5) His Divine and human nature. (Joh 1:6-14) John the Baptist's testimony to Christ. (Joh 1:15-18) John's public testimony concerning Christ. (Joh 1:19-28) Other testimonies of John concerning Christ. (Joh 1:29-36) Andrew and another disciple follow Jesus. (Joh 1:37-42) Philip and Nathanael called. (Joh 1:43-51)

Way cool!!!!

Thanks for your indulgence in this "kids" new found "toy" and testing his ability to use it.

In HIs service Jim

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Jim, after you add several different versions, pick a verse and try the comparison screen.

That is how I have posted many verses with multiple versions for comparison, including Hebrew and Greek. The ESV comes free with Sword-Searcher. This is a positive since most new translations require a royalty payment.

Free versions include:
    English translation of the Septuagint
    Regular 1769 KJV
    1769 KJV+ with Strong's numbers
    ESV
    Darby
    and many other Bibles including the Geneva.

Some of these translations are only available for Sword-Searcher. My second favorite program is Online Bible found at www.onlinebible.net. Note the "NET" instead of "COM".

It is extremely easy to use and has a lot of freebie translations and has a fairly reasonable fee for some royalty Bibles. I use both, because each offers some different translations and commentary. They are FUN. But, nothing beats holding a book in your hand for long reading spells.

3. Joman

Joman New Member

e-sword.net The best bible software i've ever seen.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Amen to E-Sword and the cd that comes with the ESV Bible.You can also get into many archive pages just by typing the name of Pink,Gill,Wesley, ect.... in your search window.In addition if there is any subject you are interested in type the lead word or words (Bible prophecy,theology,hermeneutics)in your search window and you will have many choices.

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Thanks for the tip Phillip.
    I have only the free down load right now and am ANXIOUSLY waiting for the CD.

I will also save the link in my browser for the on-line bible.

Have you been to www.blueletterbible?

Thanks also to you other guys.
    This is fun!
    It is soooo cool to get a HUGE library in such a little cd.

In His service;
    Jim

6. Broadus

Broadus Member

1. I use Bible Works 6 and E-Sword. I just downloaded E-Sword a couple of weeks ago. It's great, especially being free.

2. I'm not familiar with Sword Searcher.

Bill

7. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

I use Laridian and The Net Bible. Laridian has quit a selection of Bible versons and helps. The most I have seen so far. I have Quickverse deluxe on my desktop. I would love to get Bibleworks but have spent enough on Bible programs for awhile. [​IMG]

Tim

8. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I have always liked ccel.org. It isn't software, it is old documents, many from old church fathers.