1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Study Courses

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Dianna, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Dianna

Dianna New Member

I hope it is ok to post this here. I have been trying to find a good way for me to study the Bible. I have run across a number of bible studies courses online, some correspondence. I worry that I will get one, and it try to push false teaching...have had that happen once before, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any courses that do teach God's word, that would help me in study. I am not too good on studying on my own, I do much better with structure so to speak. I do not at this time have a church I attend, so no Pastor to turn to in regards to this.

Dianna

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Libery University offers some terriffic courses through their Distance Learning division

www.liberty.edu

They also offer a Home Bible Institute for those not interested in college level work

www.lhbi.org

#2 ktn4eg, Sep 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2006
  3. Dianna

Dianna New Member

Ok..did not see that second link for some reason. Will check that out, as degrees and credits is not something I am looking for at this time. Thanks :) Will see what they offer for the Home Bible Institute. Thank you.

Dianna

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

The Charles Stanley Institute also offers web-based learning programs.

And there are a couple of others, but I will have to search for the links.

5. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Those are two great sites but do you know of anything that is free online?

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SBC seminaries offer online courses. You can find links to the Seminaries (I'm sure) by visiting the Southern Baptist Convention website. You should start with survey courses to get an overview.

I suggest you get a biblical dictionary. They will usually give an impartial definition of the terms you are going to run across without pushing one view over another. They also have a good source of historical information that can lead you to other references for study.

Don't get in a hurry in accepting one view over another. Try to understand all points of view.

One final warning. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know compared to how much is out there. And how little time we have to study it.

peace to you:praying:

8. Dianna

Dianna New Member

I will check it out. I have to say I know basically nothing about Southern Baptist..but maybe going to the site you suggested will give me more info even on Southern Baptist, as I would like to know more.

Yes I am learning, and sometimes the hard way, not to take much of what anyone says at face value without making sure I check it with what the Bible says.

9. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Diana--
    In your OP you mentioned that you aren't a member of a church, yet in your profile you did list a church name. I'm a little confused about that.

At any rate, although all the above mentioned Bible study courses are probably very good, you still need to be in a good Bible teaching local church. If you're not in one now, you need to pray that God will help you to find one.

Living where you do in RI, there may not be as many good Bible teaching churches as in some other places [which is a real pity since RI was founded by Baptists], but that ought to be a very high priority for you.

Maybe some of our BB friends might be able to recommend some good churches for you in that area.

God bless you in your efforts to find out more about His Word and in a good local church fellowship where you can get solid teaching.

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are well on your way:thumbs:

You might also consider looking at "statements of faith" by various church bodies. They will often give scripture to support the statements made. Compare, learn the issues, and then learn the arguments from all sides. Good luck.

peace to you:praying:

11. Dianna

Dianna New Member

The reason there is a church listed is that is the church I was with when I orgainlly joined the site years ago...when I came back the other day I was not for some reason able to remove that from my profile...when I go to edit my profile, it does not show up...but when I view my profile it is there...that is why. Sorry for the confusion.

I am moving into a new area of Rhode Island in December..to the Newport area..I am searching for churches now in that area. Waiting to hear back from a few church via email, to find out more about the church than what the site offers in information.

Dianna

12. Dianna

Dianna New Member

Good idea..thanks :)

Dianna

13. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I knew I had a site that was floating around somewhere in my favorites. I don't know anything about it other than it's free, so proceed with caution. I just saved it in my favorites so I could check it out when I got some time and haven't had the time yet, but you might.

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/index.php

14. Dianna

Dianna New Member

Thank you. I will check it out :)

Dianna

15. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #15 Deacon, Oct 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2006
  16. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

Dianna,

go to blueletter.org . look up any verse you want to study, then start clicking on the little blue thingies next to the verse. start with the "C".

17. Dianna

Dianna New Member

That is very helpful. I had never been to that site before. Thanks :)

Thank you all for your suggestions and links, much appreicated :)

Dianna

18. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

19. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

These are so great! Get on their mailing list also but you can order free courses here and they will even grade and critique your answers if you like!

[email protected]

20. Dianna

Dianna New Member

Found studies...wanted to share

I finally found some studies that I was able to print and were what I was looking for.
    http://my.execpc.com/~combapt/bstdl.html

I would say that if you are a Biblical Scholar, have the bible memorized from front to back, these stuidies probably aren't for you. I have printed them all out and am working through them and learning more than I ever thought I would. The thing I like about these studies is man's doctrine is not pushed...God's word is what is stuided. Each question you search the scripture for the answer. It does happen to be on a Baptist church website, but for who ever does these they will not be getting what the Pastor thinks..just what God thinks.

Enjoy :)

Dianna