1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible translation is a business

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by BobinKy, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

There are many Bibles available for distribution at what I consider rock-bottom prices. It is not the copyright that keeping them from being distributed. Christianbooks.com has more than one ESV NT for $0.99 cents a copy. If the ESV were not copyrighted, there is still no way could I take my time and make the copies for that price. my printer would run hot and my ink (which costs many more times than 99 cents) would run out. When I was media center director, I bought cases of Bibles annually for $3.99 a Bible and we gave them away at every possible turn. I thought they were a fairly nice volume. They were more like trade paperbacks rather than the mass marketed kind. I've seen people carrying the similar ones to church.

There is a pretty price that can be spent on personal Bibles - I just saw one for $600, but that price isn't keeping Bibles from being mass marketed that can in turn be given away. In fact, the higher prices paid may well enable companies like Crossway to mass market and sell at those very low prices. AND with Internet access, then we do have free access to print and often audio of many, many versions. (biblegateway & esvonline) We can copy and paste small amounts for use. The thing is that those that need a copy of the Bible don't have computers or internet and a small version like the $0.99 ones above would be better suited to that purpose.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

My point is this- a copyright does not prevent anyone from having or using God's Word. The ESV copyright does not even put a verse limit, they only ask that you give credit where credit is due by placing (ESV) at the end of the quotation.

I don't see why having a copyright is wrong and now I guess you don't either, since you said-

"I never said there was anything wrong with it. I'm just giving supporting evidence of the topic "Bible translation is a business". I agree that it is a business. I happen to like business and private enterprise. "

And...

"Of course they are in it for the business. I've never disputed that or said that it is wrong from them to do so."

So remind me- what is it we were discussing again??:laugh: :thumbs:

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Uh, scuse me but I cannot print out full KJV Bibles and have them placed in any kind of folder that will last (besides paper that will withstand use---copy paper won't), printer powder and etc. for anywhere near the price of a Pew NIV.

I work for the government and my boss will not even let me print out safety regulation procedures unless there is no other way to read it. So, we read our pdf's on screen.

Hey, that's an idea, place wireless mini-laptops at each seat. I'm using a 300 dollar Dell right now on a wireless home DSL and it works quite well.

Then I can check my e-mail while I read the KJV! :wavey:

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

My point exactly, well said. The ESV NT's are a result of overprinting of the Marketing versions that were sold a year before the entire book was released (at about $35 each with poor binding--their marketing mistake), same thing with the Holman, I think they were giving away NT's for churches; while working part-time janitorial help, I picked up many in the youth department (where the kids laid them when through--typical of kids today).

They were obviously well used; however, so don't turn down a free or inexpensive ticket. Good post mcd!

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The JW's and Mormons are heretical sects -- not denominations!

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman:
    Wrong. They don't know the worda God cuz they don't pick up any of those translations & READ'em.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Or because they listen to what other people say about them and therefore don't read them!

A Bible translation you read and understand is better than a Bible translation you don't read because it is hard to understand.

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman:
    Wrong. They don't know the worda God cuz they don't pick up any of those translations & READ'em.

Now ya contradict yourself. First, ya said that multiple translations were the causa folx not knowing God's word. Now ya say they didn't understand God's word when the KJV was just about the only commonly-used English version. Shall we now blame the KJV for the birtha such pseudo/quasi-Christian cults as the JW, LDS, or SDA?

The REAL reason is because people DON'T READ GOD'S WORD ENOUGH, regardless of which translation(s) they have available.

While it's true that some translations are made for $$, & others are made for specific denoms, there are some made cuz the translators believe they can do it better than their predecessors.

Ya holler about the footnotes in some versions. Obviously, ya haven't read the AV1611 closely.Virtually every page of it is fulla marginal notes. It contains more such notes than almost any later English version.

Electronic gizmos? They can be used for either good or evil, depending upon WHO'S using'em, same as a knife. GOD allowed us to discover howta make'em for HIS reasons, & we should take advantage of EVERY tool He makes available.

OF COURSE BVs are made for $$. the AV men took so long to make the AV cuz they hadta earn a living. They were not paid by KJ to make it.

The "copyrights" thingie is a false premise, invented by some KJVOs looking for an excuse to support their man-made doctrine. It should be totally ignored in all serious BV discussions.

Again, GOD'S WORD IS ALIVE. He has given it to ALL men; He still superintends it, keeping it understandable in all major languages & in many, many languages less-used. And again, given the many possible English meanings of a vast number of Hebrew or Greek words/phrases as found in the ancient Scriptural mss, a variety of translations gives the average English reader a broader view of the Scriptures. I fully believe this is GOD'S will.

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Both are very fond of the KJV... They prefer their own texts, but they default to the next one that is easy to mis-read and mis-apply.

10. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Hi! I got back from West Virginia--a few weeks ago. This thread certainly covered a lot of discussion. I hope everyone said what they had to say.

Thanks for the discussion.

...Bob

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Don't they always :tongue3:

12. JohnHunton

JohnHunton New Member

My personal taste

I normally study from Green's interlinear with Hebrew for the Old Testament and Greek for the New Testament , When I am preaching in English Ii use the they old trusty KJV When I am preaching in Spanish then I use the 1960 REINA - VALERA version. Maybe I shouldnt have done this but anyway I did There was a Church in Louisville KY who wanted to question me before they would send mission support for the effort in Guatemala ok no problem happy to answer any questions. THIS DEAL WAS ABSURD. I went along calmly and answer all the questions one guy ask me what kid of Bible I had so I told HIM a standard King James Version and sometimes I use the original KJV it went over his head. Almost a year later I was invited to teach a private lesson to this same Church so I did but this time I used an ORIGINAL 1611 version of the KJV the same guy stood up after the text an said here we only only believe in the KJV you should have seen his face when I showed him what I was using I wouldnt have done this normally but enough is enough and we were in a private setting

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Loox like typical KJVO erudition to not know the AV1611 when they see it.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thread off topic - closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.