1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Translators of the Received Text required

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Nigel, Nov 6, 2007.

?
  1. yes

19 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. never - the King James Version is the only one acceptable

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. no- the Received Text is not inerrant

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. yes - but every word must correspond to a word in the Received Text

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Nigel

Nigel New Member

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the things I particularly love about the Authorised Version of 1611 is that it shows you clearly where the translators feel they need to insert a word to allow a phrase to read, by inserting a word in italics. This gives you, the reader, the freedom to read and remove that word in italics, knowing that such a word is not in the original text. This is a very accurate way of reading the Bible.

Well , I disagree . The KJV revisors ( they really didn't do much translating and were more versed in Latin than the original languages ) used italics inconsistently and rather sparcely at that . F.H. A. Scrivener has said that "inconsistencies occur in the same expressions in parallel passages , on the same page , and even at times in the same verses ."

J.R. Dole in his book "Old Bibles" said that in the 1611 KJV there were 43 words in italics in the book of Matthew . In the Cambridge edition of 1762 there were 352 words in italics .

The use of italics is overblown . If ANY version of Scripture were to use italics on every occasion where there was not a corresponding word in the original it would be a visual nightmare .

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I find it very interesting that often when some one offers a reason to adore a particular Bible version, that reason given is not a solid one at all. I will give a couple of brief examples here. First, the AV does not always use italics for words they have injected into the text. Notice Mark 2:15 in the KJV --
    And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him.​
    In the first occurrence of the name "Jesus" in this verse the 1611 revisors have placed His proper name where the Textus Receptus clearly has the Greek word autos (a pronoun meaning "he", "she", or "it" depending upon the context). So, the Greek word Iesous is not present in TR, but the substituted KJV word is not italicized or otherwise indicated to the reader.

Second, it is inevitable in translation that some Greek words be rendered by several English words in order to convey the full meaning; and that the English reader cannot possibly know which Greek words are represented (and occassionally some words go untranslated). Notice Titus 2:4 in the KJV --
    That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children​
    It seems that at least "they may teach" and the distant "sober" are all the result in English from the translating of a single form of the Greek word sophronizo (which can be defined in several ways: restore one to his senses; to moderate, control, curb, disciple; to hold one to his duty; to admonish, to exhort earnestly). I have no quarrel with the KJV rendering here; but now notice the word "sober" just two verse prior --
    That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.​
    The Greek word underlying this "sober" is a form of nephaleos. Two completely different Greek words in the same passage translated in English with the same English word. I am NOT suggesting that the same Greek word always be translated with the same English word, but I am suggesting that it matters little that a few scattered words are italicized because the English reader knows almost nothing at all of what is behind any of the text.

#63 franklinmonroe, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2007
  4. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Dear Rippon and Franklin,

your posts have helped dispel some ignorance on my part.

I'd like to hear from all the people reading this thread - what do you think of the use of italics to show where a translator has inserted a word not found in the Received Text?

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It should be done consistently or not at all. But as Rippon opined, if it were done consistently it would be a visual nightmare. The reader might be saying to himself, "So what did God REALLY say here?"

No such animal as a perfect translation- unless you are a perfect man. You just have to make your choices carefully and prayerfully and stick to them- as well as be prepared to defend them.

6. franklinmonroe

There is no translation without interpretation, but in some places it is more explicit than others.
    First, notice the KJV interpretation of 2 Samuel 21:18-20 --
    And it came to pass after this, that there was again a battle with the Philistines at Gob: then Sibbechai the Hushathite slew Saph, which [was] of the sons of the giant.
    And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite, slew [the brother of] Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear [was] like a weaver's beam.
    And there was yet a battle in Gath, where was a man of [great] stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant.​
    Without Hebrew support of this verse the AV men have placed "the brother of", evidently to avoid confusion with David's victim of the same name and to harmonize it to 1 Chronicles 20:4-6 --
    And it came to pass after this, that there arose war at Gezer with the Philistines; at which time Sibbechai the Hushathite slew Sippai, [that was] of the children of the giant: and they were subdued.
    And there was war again with the Philistines; and Elhanan the son of Jair slew Lahmi the brother of Goliath the Gittite, whose spear staff [was] like a weaver's beam.
    And yet again there was war at Gath, where was a man of [great] stature, whose fingers and toes [were] four and twenty, six [on each hand], and six [on each foot]: and he also was the son of the giant.​
    However, upon close examination there are enough differences in the two passages to suggest that they may not be parallel accounts after all. This was not just an effort by the revisors to insert words to allow a phrase to read, but a particular interpretation of the event recorded (despite the availability of other plausible explanations then).

As recently as two years ago Prof. Aren Maeir, Chairman of Bar-Ilan University's Martin (Szusz) Department of Land of Israel Studies and Archaeology has been directing excavations at Tell es-Safi ongoing since 1996 has found about two meters under earth a small ceramic shard (possibly part of a bowl) which contains the earliest known Philistine inscription ever to be discovered and it mentions two names that are remarkably similar to the word "goliath". Tell es-Safi is one of Israel's largest tells (ancient ruin mounds) and presumed to be the ancient site of Gath of the Philistines (which is located in the southern coastal plain of Israel, approximately halfway between Ashkelon and Jerusalem). The shard is dated to about 100 years after the time of David (http://faculty.biu.ac.il/~maeira/Goliath/Goliath Inscription.html). In addition, it has been suggested that the term "goliath" may not be a proper name but could be a military designation for an elite warrior (like 'ranger' or 'navy seal').

Second, notice John 8:24 from the KJV --
    I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins.​
    Jesus is making an explicit claim of Deity by His statement of "I AM" (which is in the Greek manuscripts), which is obscured by the addition of the word "he" (which is not in the underlying text). I assure you the Pharisees did not misundertand what Jesus said (see Exodus 3:14), but unfortunately many English readers have missed the important emphasis on just those two words "I am".

#66 franklinmonroe, Nov 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2007
  7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember when I was a little boy and learned the meaning of italics in school to be for emphasis. So the next time we had family devotions and it was my time to read, I read the italicized words with emphasis. :laugh: And the whole family laughed at me! Ever since then I've thought the italics to be confusing.

8. readmore

readmore New Member

John, after slogging through that DE thread I understand why you would be reluctant to rehash the same argument over and over. I did learn a lot from that thread, and I don't really feel like I have anything new to add, but on the other hand I didn't see that this specific question was addressed. I'm not a raving advocate for either side, I just was wondering about this...

Nigel, thanks for taking the time to address my question! Just a quick clarification, I don't really mean trying to interpret the thoughts of the original writers so much as I mean translating the historically understood thought patterns of the writers from two or more centuries ago.

I'll give you an example... The Hebrew word ratsach is translated as "kill" in the KJV, but it could also be translated as "murder", and in fact, many people would prefer that rendering. But the KJV translators decided on the word "kill", and so that is how many people have understood this verse, which can yield quite different doctrines on things like self defense, death penalty, war, etc. all because some translators decided to go with one word over another.

Now, contrast that with Amos 4:6, which in a formally translated text would say, "And I also have given you cleanness of teeth". An uninformed reader from today would almost inevitably think of some supernatural dental work. But a dynamic equivalent translation would say, "I gave you an empty stomach" with possibly a footnote that gave the more literal translation. In cases like this I would trust the translators, with their knowledge of the meanings of ancient languages, much more than my own. The people of that day understood this to mean "hunger"--shouldn't we understand it that way?

So with the two given examples, I ask, as long as we are already trusting the translators to use their judgment to translate individual words (or even idioms) that might have ambiguous meaning in our language, why not phrases or thoughts?

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You actually have two questions here. You have written about two different translation problems.

Here the problem is interpretation. The translator must do an exegesis of the passage, look at the context and decide on an interpretation, after which he will do his translation. It is possible then to translate as "kill." However, this then ignores the wider context of the five books of Moses, in which various types of killing are allowed, but murder is punished by death. After looking at the wider context the translator will translate with "murder."
    In this case we are dealing with an idiom. Here is one definition of an idiom: "Any expression peculiar to a language, conveying a distinct meaning, not necessarily explicable by, occasionally even contrary to, the general accepted grammatical rules" (Dictionary of Linguistics, by Mario Pei and Frank Gaynor, p. 95)

In dynamic equivalence, "It has been traditional in D-E translations to render classical idioms by corresponding idioms in modern languages" (Toward a Science of Translating, by Eugene Nida, p. 238). So the first thing a DE translator looks for is an equivalent idiom. In my method though, I take several steps. (1) Is there a directly equivalent idiom in the receptor language? In other words, is the idiom the same in the two languages? (2) If not, can the idiom be translated literally and retain the meaning? (3) If not, what idiom or phrase in the receptor language gives the same optimal meaning?
    In DE translation, since he is not looking for direct equivalents but for dynamic ones, the translator has to make more personal judgements as to what grammar and vocabulary and syntax of the receptor language to use. DE is thus more subjective, and the translator is more liable to give his own interpretation. However, with optimal equivalance we seek the closest equivalent in grammar, syntax and vocabulary, and prefer to let the reader interpret for his or her own self.

10. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Re ITALICS

Thanks for your thoughts on this, also to John and others. The first time I read the Authorised Version as a young child (I was not raised by Bible-believing parents) I too thought the italics were for emphasis. I can now see how confusing this can be to a young Christian.

I've been chewing over this issue, and praying about it. Now I have decided to remove all italics from the translation work I've done so far, and seek where possible to avoid inserting words into the English translation except where it is not possible to do so.

This has been a bit of a wrench for me - but the translation is not for my benefit.

In Christ Jesus,

[email protected]

Nigel Dixon.

11. Nigel

Nigel New Member

removing interpretation from translation

John has defined the approach that I wish to take in translation - optimal equivalence in seeking the best grammatical fit and allowing the reader to interpret for themselves the underlying thought.

With Nida's concept of dynamic equivalence, I personally see 2 major problems -
    1. the concept treats the Bible like any other literary work, whereas this supernatural book, ultimately authored by Jesus Christ the Word of God, cannot either be added to or taken away from - indeed the actual words carry the supernatural life of God, and the hearing of these words brings about faith
    2. we do not know, in any situation, what double meaning or underlying idomatic meaning a phrase may carry - therefore we need to stick to a literal translation

I think Franklin has made a very strong case here for avoiding textual insertions -
    1. by removing the inserted words the brother of out of 1 Samuel 21.19 and 1 Chronicles 20.5, there is scope for the reader to infer a second man by the name of Goliath

2. by removing the inserted word he out of John 8.24, as Franklin says, what remains is a strong 'I-Am' statement from Jesus making clear his explicit claim of Deity.

In Christ Jesus,

[email protected]

Nigel

12. Nigel

Nigel New Member

translating 'baptizo'

A while back I asked for responses to how to translate the word 'baptizo' (traditionally - 'I baptize).

The purpose of this translation is to put the Word of God into the hands of young people whose primary or secondary language is US spoken English, and who have never heard the Gospel or even the testimony of a Christian.

I came up with a few possibles -
    1. I dip
    2. I plunge
    3. I immerse.

Do we need the same word to be used throughout, or can we use 2?

How about a couple of words depending on context -
    John the Baptist - John the Plunger
    baptised of him - immersed by him
    baptism - plunging

The floor is open . . . Let me know your thoughts . . .

In Christ Jesus,

[email protected]

Nigel

13. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Dear Readmore,

Thanks for your post. I'd like to look at each of the examples you gave:

Thank you, John, for the response on ratzah (I spell all hebrew and greek words phonetically so the reader can pronounce them - but the spellings are not accurate). The Hebrew letters RSH or RZH (actually HZR). The passage Exodus 20.13 literally reads, without vowel inflections (spelt phonetically)

HSRT ()L and the letter I show as () is Aleph - a letter that simply takes on the vowel inflection put on it.

So, reading right to left, converting left to right it now reads

L() TRSH

Now adding the vowel inflections in lower case letters
    Lo TiR-SaHaa,
    Not Murder
    Murder not
    Do not Murder

Why does this translate as 'murder' and not 'kill'?
    The overwhelming majority of occasions in the Torah (Pentateuch/First Five Books - Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy) where SRT letters appear in that combination (we read them right to left), they convey clearly with the context an unlawful taking of a human life.

The Authorised Version translates Amos 4.6 in the following way -
    And I have also given you cleanness of teeth in all your cities, and want of bread in all your places: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD

So, where would a modern translator derive the underlying idomatic meaning of 'cleanness of teeth'? - from the text itself, in this instance. Clearly this example in Amos 4.6 demonstrates the lack of a need for 'dynamic equivalence' - immediately after the phrase 'cleanness of teeth' the reader is acquainted with its meaning - want of bread.

I believe the reader should not rely on a translator to do his interpretation for him. An extreme example of a sort of 'pre-interpreted' ready-meal kind of appraoch to the Word of God, is the sort of story 'bibles' that some of my unsaved relatives used to buy for our children. Some years ago, I used to read these to our children - but then it dawned on me - these do not feed my children the Word of God - there is no faith-imparting life in these story books.

3 years studying Theology and biblical languages at a liberal theology faculty many years ago - where I arrived, remained and left a Bible-believing Christian - left me with the impression that much of this dynamic-equivalence-free-translating-interpretative methodology leaves modern English-speaking Christians with something that is not a million miles removed from the kind of story 'bibles' my children used to get.

I want the reader to actually do some work - for the reader to ask the Holy Spirit to interpret the Word of God to him - not to rely on someone like me to spoon-feed and at the same time feed in my own perception of what the Word says.

That means I don't want a 'Nigel Dixon' bible with a whole set of 'Nigel Dixon' presuppositions, theories, interpretations, fantasies, fables and myths.

I just want Jesus to speak through his Word and impart life to people.

So, how does Amos 4.6 read in the hebrew?
    I'm going to transliterate word for word -

w'gam-ani naathati lakem nikyon shinayim b'kal-areykem w'hoser
    and'also-I have given you cleanness of teeth in'all-yourcities and lack

lehem b'kol m'komotheykem w'lo-shav'tem aaday n'um YHVH
    bread in'all your places and'not-youhavereturned to'me says the LORD.

In Christ Jesus,

[email protected]

Nigel

14. franklinmonroe

Let's look at each of these suggestions individually --

First, the emphasis of "dip" seems to be upon the brevity or shallowness of the action; also "dip" has the meaning of suddenly lowering or dropping. Idiomatically in the U.S. to be called a "dip" is an insult or mockery.

Second, the emphasis of "plunge" seems to be upon the forcefull, almost violent action; it can apply to non-liquid situations, and it does not insist upon complete submersion. In the U.S. "plunge" a the term closely associated with the unclogging of the bathroom fixture.

Third, the emphasis of "immerse" seems to be upon the completeness of the covering in liquid; it can also mean to be deeply or wholly engaged. In my opinion, "immerse" is the best choice of these three.

15. Nigel

Nigel New Member

translating 'baptizo'

Dear Franklin,

Your comments have helped to convince me to stick with John's suggestion of 'immerse'.

Your comments on 'dip' and 'plunge' are very helpful.

I am now fully persuaded of the need to use the word 'immerse' throughout.

In Christ Jesus,

Nigel Dixon

16. Nigel

Nigel New Member

reference material

Dear Franklin,

I've been reviewing the posts on this thread, and I came across this one by you early on.

Yes, it would be advantageous to refer to other translations based on the Received Text. My only concern would be to inadvertently incorporate some 'dynamic equivalence' into the work I'm doing, as I am looking for accuracy and faithfulness, with simple language.

Could you please point me in the direction of these TR-based New Testament translations?

Thank you.

The hebrew text is the Masoretic Text as published by the Trinitarian Bible Society, September 2000.

In Christ Jesus,

Nigel Dixon

17. franklinmonroe

Yes; a few were mentioned by Ed Sutton ("...including the MKJV, KJII, KJIII, UKJV, Literal Translation, KJ21, etc...").
    Some of the more recent TR based versions are--
    The Literal Translation of the GNT (Berry, 1897) with the AV in parallel
    Letchworth Version (Ford & Ford, 1948) hard to find
    Clarified KJV (McGinnis, 1958)
    Interlinear Bible aka King James 2 (Jay P. Green Sr., 1976/78/80/81/84)
    New King James Version (Farstad et al., 1982)
    King James Easy Reading Version (Turner, 1987)
    MKJV - Modern KJV (Green, 1962/1990)
    KJV21- 21st Century KJV (Prindle, 1994)
    TMB - Third Millenium Bible (1998)
    Last Days Bible (Johnson, 1999) this is actually only the NT
    People’s New Testament: A Literal Translation of the Textus Receptus (Chenault, 1996/2002)
    New Testament in its Original Order (Coulter, 2002) based upon Stephens 1550
    UKJV - Updated King James Version (2004) digital format only
    Corrected KJV (Carroll, 2004)
    AV7 - The New AV in Present-Day English (2005)
    KJVIII - King James 3 (Green, 2006) this is NT only​

______
    Majority Text versions:
    ALT - Analytical-Literal Translation (Zeolla, 2001) but based upon Young's Literal Version
    EMTV - English Majority Text Version (Esposito, 2002)​
    ______
    English translation based upon another Greek text (I happen to like this one):
    Concordant Literal NT (Knoch,1926) based upon Weymouth’s Resultant Greek Testament

#77 franklinmonroe, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2007
  18. Nigel

Nigel New Member

TR Reference Material

Dear Franklin and Ed

This is helpful. Thank you.

Do you happen to know if any of the Textus Receptus reference material you mention is available free of chagre in the public domain?

In Christ Jesus,

Nigel

19. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Proof-readers and editors required!

Hello friends,

I have found your encouragement on this bulletin board tremendously uplifting.

Some progress has been made so far, since I started on September 5 this year. I am now in regular contact with 2 translators, and additionally a bulletin board of translators.

So far, I have translated from the Received text into 21st century US spoken English a first draft of Genesis, the Gospel according to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, and the letters to the Ephesians and the Galatians. I am currently working on Acts.

A couple of translators have encouraged me not to be overly concerned about my inability to find a committee of translators - in their experience, translating on your own with the encouragement of other translators and making all drafts accountable to a wider field for proof-reading and editing is often advantageous. I wish to continue to abide by the methodology of translation advocated both by Deborah Anderson, hebrew editor at the Trinitarian Bible Society, and by John R. Himes. This methodology identifies a grammatical and lingustic accuracy at the expense of free translation - it allows the reader as much opportunity to interpret the scripture for himself rather than hand that interpretative opportunity to a translator. Many modern versions hand over the reader's responsibility to a translator - and in my opinion are elevating the translator from the rightly humble role of translation into a wrongly important intermediary/priestly role that is in my view inconsistent with a reformed Protestant theology of the Bible.

So, the translation seeks to be conservative, but using where possible language as spoken by Americans in the 21st century.

Please do not be deterred from proof-reading some or all of a portion of these drafts. The more proof-readers there are, the better protection from error. Proof-reading does not require you to be infallible - any error you pick up is good, and others will be proof-reading the same draft.

Even though I personally believe that the Received Text is inerrant and the Authorised Version is a faithful translation of the Received Text, I do not require you to hold this same view in order to proof-read, or even to offer suggestions for editing the draft where you find better ways of translating a word.

Editing is also important - finding the most appropriate word or pharse when translating a word.

I have started a new thread which you can see in the same Bible Translations section of this bulletin board, on the topic of proof readers.

If you wish to receive any of these drafts, whether or not you wish to assist in proof-reading or editing, please email me at

[email protected]

In Christ Jesus,

Nigel

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is relevant to a current thread.