1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible version poll

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Just a little poll to satisfy my curiosity.

When someone sat down with you and showed you Gods plan of salvation and you came to know Christ as your personal savior, which Bible was used?

With me it was a King James.

Which one was used to show you the Way?

KJV? NIV? ESB? NKJV? NWT? NASB? ASB? etc.

2. Mikayehu

Mikayehu New Member

3. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

4. Kellisa

Kellisa New Member

Authorized King James Version

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Ps104_33 said:

As I recall, it was a Good News Bible.

6. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ps104_33:
    Just a little poll to satisfy my curiosity.

When someone sat down with you and showed you Gods plan of salvation and you came to know Christ as your personal savior, which Bible was used?

With me it was a King James.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one ever sat down with me and showed me the gospel. Rather God called me, and regenerated me, and brought me to faith with one verse on a church sign: "For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Lk 2:11

I assume it was, however, KJV. :eek:

7. ddavis

ddavis New Member

chris:No one ever sat down with me and showed me the gospel. Rather God called me, and regenerated me, and brought me to faith with one verse on a church sign: "For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Lk 2:11

was just wondering how you knew is was God who called you? How you knew you need to be regenerated?

oh yes, my was the kjv

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: ddavis ]

8. DocCas

DocCas New Member

I was witnessed to by a teen aged boy, but nobody ever sat down with me and explained the bible. I was given some verses to check, and read for myself, and I did so. I originally read the verses so I could find all the "errors" and "contradictions" in the bible and throw them back in the boy's face the next time I saw him. The bible I read was an RSV I had received as a present in about 1952 (I still have it). As I looked up the verses, and read and pondered them, the Lord began to convict me of sin, righteousness, and judgment to come. The reading of His word brought about a new faith in Him (Romans 1`0:17), and as I sat there I, by faith (Ephesians 2:8-9), repented of my sin and believed on Him as my Saviour (Acts 16:31).

Now, please don't tell anyone it was an RSV. Some of my "friends" will tell me I couldn't possibly be saved reading that perversion! :D

9. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

I like the tone of Chris and Thomas. It is possible to be a believer without the exact procedure set out by the topic starter. I was saved as a child, and have no idea which version of the English Bible was integral in my conversion. I think that probably, it was just my Mom's paraphrasing. I do know that when I was seven, my Christian day school presented me with a TEV Good News Bible.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas Cassidy:
    Now, please don't tell anyone it was an RSV. Some of my "friends" will tell me I couldn't possibly be saved reading that perversion! :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This confirms what I have been thinking all along -- there is no way you can be saved ... [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Chick Daniels said:

I like the tone of Chris and Thomas. It is possible to be a believer without the exact procedure set out by the topic starter.

This is true, and strictly speaking I did not come to Christ as the result of someone sitting down with me and presenting the Gospel, but through hearing preaching and reading my Bible personally. However, since the main point of the original question was about the Bible version that was instrumental, I personally didn't feel it necessary to quibble about the means. [​IMG]

I do know that when I was seven, my Christian day school presented me with a TEV Good News Bible.

Same here, although in my case it was a Sunday School presentation when I was seven. The United Church of Canada where I grew up uses the Good News Bible as its standard pew Bible (and still does to this day; it was 1978 when I received mine), and my particular church presented all children in grade 1 with a copy.

I don't think too highly of this translation today, but admittedly as a child the line drawings in the text kept me interested in reading on, and the glossary and other helps made the text even more understandable.

12. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

No one sat down with me either. I grew up in the Church and I'm not even sure what translation was used most heavily by those who influenced me most. However, my own personal growth through Bible reading begin with the NIV. I don't care a whole lot for it now though.

13. Rosa

Rosa New Member

In my home we read the Authorized King James Version. I was grown before I realized that there were other versions. I am comfortable with the one that I grew up with and carried that version when I was babtzed, married and was in the hospital having my children. Now that was quite possible more information than you were looking for, but I just wanted to stress the importance of having scriputre to read in my times of greatest need. Did it matter that I did not know that other versions existed? Not to me. What do I read today KJV.

14. Sam

Sam New Member

I love the KJV Authorized version. [​IMG]

15. toolman

toolman New Member

King James 1611. And I even understood it, amazing! :cool:

16. VineyardGold

VineyardGold New Member

17. nam4christ

nam4christ New Member

I was witnessed to by a Petty Officer First Class aboard the USS Siapan in 1986. To the best of my knowledge he did not have a Bible
    on him but quoted the verses he used to me.

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

19. Alex Mullins

Alex Mullins New Member

The only pure "Word of God", the KJV, the 1611 and the inspired updates which followed.

I thank Him that He still works in spite of the way men have mutilated, weakened, perverted His precious word. He is still in the business of saving souls and using the perversions to do it.

I know that this is not a popular position
    Psalms 12: 6-7. It's Ok to disagree. No need for personal attacks though. Jesus wasn't popular in His day either.

Psalms 12: 6-7 and 2 Timothy: 3.

God bless

Alex

20. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex Mullins:
    The only pure "Word of God", the KJV, the 1611 and the inspired updates which followed.
    Alex
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean you believe in perpetual inspiration? Or just the RV, ASV, RSV, NASB, NKJV? :D