1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Bibles with Old Scofield 1917 Notes

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by kathleenmariekg, Nov 22, 2020.

1. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like my OS1917 not because of the notes (they can be problematic) but because of the concordence.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know the dates are controversial, but I have not found another dating system that as a WHOLE is better. The dates at the top of the pages ground me.

The headings break up the text. The only Bible that made it across the country with me, is my McGee Thru the Bible, and all the notes are in outlines at the front and the outlines don't pop. Flipping back and forth is not working for me. I feel lost in the text.

The text in my Scofield was too small, but still it was sometimes the one I took to bed with me. I need one with larger text.

4. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Scofield that I had was the regular text Oxford University Press.

5. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also have a copy of the Thru the Bible Special Edition with the notes and outlines in the front of the Bible. I added a set of regular size Bible Book Tabbies to the notes and outlines section. Makes it easier to turn to the correct place in the 500-plus pages of notes and outline.

Wish you the best in your search for a new Bible.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    That might be enough to get me by!

I'm not seeing a Scofield with the combination of text-size, price, and availability I need.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think what I am going to do is buy 3 packages of the rainbow tabbies, and use two packages to mark the outlines and Bible text, and a third package to mark a resource book.

https://www.amazon.com/Testaments-I...XW8MMY6QPXGA&refRID=7EFTA7VQXW8MMY6QPXGA&th=1

If you have to pick ONE resource book to supplement and complement Thru the Bible, what would it be? Out-of-print is fine, as long as it is a title that is possible to find used.

9. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes these outlines are so poorly formatted, but I have spent a couple hours problem-solving. I just need to pencil the start of the chapters into the margins, and gradually add the Scofield dates (from an ebook) under the chapter numbers, as I get a chance.

I just bought 3 packs of Rainbow tabs. I have a 1965 Halley's that I am going to divide with the 3rd set of Tabs. With the tabs, I should be able to access the outlines and use the handbook more easily.

I think I am going to like this even better than a new Bible. I will be able to keep the Bible text nice and clean, but still have quick access to the notes I need.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  11. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the reasons I got this older Halley's was it had more dates that newer editions. I am looking through it more thoroughly: there are more dates tucked into it than I realized, but I have to look for them.

I strongly believe that the Lord provides what we need most for the moment, and that lack of access to something else is often to force us to look more closely at what is right in our face.

I am going to spend some time with just my McGee Bible and my Halley's and see how far I get with that. Halley and Scofield conflict, but I have Halley, so I am going to run with it, for better and for worse.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Their Bibles are beautiful. They have been out of stock of their largest text Scofield for awhile. I am going to wait and see if they reprint it in the future and will sit tight for now.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I carry my old Scofield to the pulpit each week, since it is "friendly" to me - ease/familiarity to me over the years. Got my first Old Scofield as a baptismal gift in 1958, new "old" one for college/seminary 1965, new "old" one after 25 years preaching and present new "old" Scofield for the past 25 years. Know where the verse is located on a page, even if I've forgotten the exact "zip code", so I can page thru and find it quickly.

I use a great variety of translations for personal reading, but when speaking I need the crutch of familiarity. Oxford 1769 is superior to Cambridge 1762 if one is using the AV family of translations, too.

• Like Like x 2
  15. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I had to buy a Bible from what is available today, I would get the Oxford Scofield from whoever had it cheapest with free shipping, but I heard these particular ones have a poor binding and that pages are falling out almost immediately.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are making me weaken. LOL.

I'm going to sit tight until after Christmas, though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob, did your college use this Bible or did you just choose this one?

18. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where can I learn more about this? When anyone had discussed this issue, I have always been pointed to Cambridge.

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thought best Kjv was the Cambridge 1873?

20. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist