1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Biblical Argument for Cessationism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    believe that passage is the main "proof text" used...

I personally don't have a problem with tongues so much as the other bagge of they see Modern day Apsotle/Prophets, and the gifts of healings/miracles etc as Apostles were gifted with!

Also had BIG problem with some seeing additional fuller revealtion still coming forth from God today!

Think those of us holding to 'ceasing: mainly refer to those Apostles/prophets offices, and gifts that are revelations from god for today!

have to deind

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

So you do not believe that the Holy Spirit will show things to come?
    I am not saying writing another chapter in the Bible!
    I am talking on a personal level..we have a personal relationship with God!

Isn't the title of an apostle "one sent?" Doesn't God send people today to start new churches etc.? I do not find the word missionary in the Bible, do you?

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit speaks thru the Bible to us today, and he will indeed bring us illumination on its meaning, as long as we apply sound ways to study it, and agree to apply it!

He does not give us the date/timing of the second coming, nor visions on who to marry etc!

Apostle can refer to modern missionaries, but problem is those in Charasmatic circles hold it to mean SAME as NT Apsotles, thus their 'revelation" knowledge and teachings!

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe that there are any biblical arguments for a current cessationism.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that the sign gifts as revelation from God ceased, as did the offices of NT Apostles/prophets, but tnaht the Sprit can still move/guide/direct us, prompting us today, but ALWAYS in agreement with the Bible!

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That may be but no where in scripture is there a declaration of a current cessationsism. But do not let my position on that confuse anyone about my stance on tongues. The common practice of tongues is not biblical and an abomination. It is fake, ungodly and everyone who practices it knows it.

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

I do not think the Holy Spirit will say anything that contradicts the Bible! And Jesus already said it was the Father to know the time and hour!

Just curious...how did you know that you were called to the ministry? What scripture and verse did you find that in? Not that some were called, but you were called?

8. awaken

awaken Active Member

So what is your definition on the common practice of tongues?

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not some gobbly gook jibberish no one understands. By the way when we speak jibberish and someone claims to interpret they are lying. That behavior in the church is heresy.

Tongues, as given as a supernatural gift by the HG, is for the single purpose of sharing the gospel in situations that God deems necessary and to show he is involved in a large way.

If someone comes to me and says I met a Chinamen and I shared the gospel with him and he was saved even though neither of us speak one anothers language, then I would say that is tongues.

This garbage that goes on in churches is only about feeding the emotional flesh and should be repudiated at every turn. To pretend you are worshiping God in this way is an abomination in worship and everyone who conducts themselves in this manner needs to repent.

10. awaken

awaken Active Member

I will agree jibberish is not biblical. But if someone speaks in a language that he does not know and it is interpreted with a powerful message/praise that brings God glory, how is that heresy?

Can you show me in scripture this is the purpose of this manifestation of the Holy Spirit?

Again, can you show me an example of this in scriptures?

Can't say what other churches are doing or how they are moving in the manifestations of the Spirit. As a matter of fact tongues is the least manifestation we see in our church...but when it is..it is very powerful. Several times after it happens and interpretation is given...someone is moved to respond to what God is trying to do in their lives.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not so long as it is a known language on this earth and is for the purpose of making the gospel known to someone who needs it.

I Cor 14:22

uh huh

12. awaken

awaken Active Member

The gifts listed in 1 Cor. 12 are manifestations of the Holy Spirit. They are only given to saved people.
    Can you explain how that in Acts 19 it was a sign to the unbeliever? Or in Acts 10...What unbelievers were present when they began to speak in tongues?
    I explained this in another thread..but will repost it again...

It turns out that "uninterpreted tongues" have been used in Israel's history as a sign to the unbelieving Israelites that God's judgment had come upon them. Paul was quoting a prophecy from Isaiah 28:11-12:

"Very well then, with foreign lips and strange tongues God will speak to this people, to whom he said, "This is the resting place, let the weary rest"; and, "This is the place of repose"-- but they would not listen." (Isaiah 28:11-12)
    This prophecy was fulfilled when the Assyrian army swooped down upon Israel speaking a foreign language (an uninterpreted tongue), carrying Israel off into captivity. Paul used an example from Israel's history to show that uninterpreted tongues are sometimes used as a "sign" for unbelievers that judgment has come upon them.

Then Paul pointed out that if an unbeliever enters a church where Christians seem to have lost their minds, the unbeliever wouldn't see this as a sign of impending judgment. This is why Paul said that prophecy is much more beneficial during a church service.

13. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The apostles had to have seen Christ and been eye witnesses of what they testified (John 15:27, Acts 1:21-22, 1 Cor. 9:1, 1 John 1:1, Gal. 1:11-12, Acts 10:39-43, 2 Peter 1:16-19). God bore witness to the inspiration of the words revealed to and recorded by the apostles and prophets by signs, wonders, and miracles (Heb. 2:3-4, 2 Cor. 12:12).

Has a sound, scriptural case been presented that demonstrates that believers are to seek the "sign" gifts after the end of the giving of new revelation and the finishing of the giving of the New Testament?

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pitchback

Sorry Awaken, but this post misses the mark. First rather than state my position, "sign and wonder gifts were for the purpose of authenticating Christ, the Apostles and the New Testament," you say the gifts were for the purpose of founding the church. Wide of the mark, sir, wide of the mark.

Next, I did not say or suggest the foundation was temporary, but that once laid, it did not need to be laid again with more authentication. Therefore, your arguments appear to be strawman, rather than an effort to understand my view.

1 Corinthians 3:9-11 does not mention of the sign and wonder gifts of Paul, but it does say he laid the foundation of God's building, which is Christ Jesus. And therefore, that work needed the authentication of the sign and wonder gifts. The passage goes on, i.e. verses 12-15 to teach we all now must build on the foundation of Christ with work that passes the test of fire to earn rewards.

In summary, I have posted the verses that I believe support my view that the sign and wonder gifts have ceased, and I see no need to address strawman arguments.

15. awaken

awaken Active Member

What of the 9 listed in 1 Cor. 12 do you believe have ceased?

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sign and Wonder gifts

Was Paul an apostle? I believe he was. The folks he taught thought he was. So what did he do to authenticate that he was indeed an apostle?

In John 4:48 we see that healing was a sign of Jesus being the Christ.

Tongues, meaning speaking in another known language without training. 1 Corinthians 14:21-22

Prophecy, meaning speaking the inspired word of God, i.e. adding to the Bible. John 14:26 suggests that those who had been directly taught by Jesus would "remember" (write the NT) all that He had taught. No need to add to that.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not just get to decide when this gift will come on us. God is nto at our beck and call in this manner.

18. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I am driven, perhaps predestined, to repeat this true story.

Thirty plus years ago when the charismatic movement was rampant in many churches I carpooled to work with a neighbor. A brilliant physicist, raised a Roman Catholic, converted at a full Gospel businessman's meeting, and at that time a member of a Presbyterian Church.

One Monday morning he shared the following experience. Over the weekend he and others had taken a young man to Spartanburg, SC. to learn to speak in tongues. Why Spartanburg I don't know. It did not work. The young man was unable to receive that particular gift of the Holy Spirit! What the impact this event had on my neighbor I really can't say. He is no longer a neighbor but it is my understanding that in time he abandoned his charismatic tendencies as did most folks around here!

19. awaken

awaken Active Member

So you are saying healing, tongues and prophecy has ceased, but not the other 6 listed?

20. awaken

awaken Active Member

Where did I mention He was at our beck and call?