1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Authority

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by MarciontheModerateBaptist, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Martian, I was not speaking of the mosaic law (incidentally, how do you know if it was fulfilled?), I was speaking of any law. The N.T. speaks of the law of faith and the law of Christ to which every believer is bound to. If you don't understand theology ask. But don't throw stuff around for the sake of posting something.

David, Jesus said that He is the way, truth, and the life. If Jesus is the personification of absolute truth, why would it interfere with our mission (which is alot more than you said) to find out what truth is? [​IMG] :eek:

2. MarciontheModerateBaptist

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The N.T. speaks of the law of faith and the law of Christ to which every believer is bound to. If you don't understand theology ask. But don't throw stuff around for the sake of posting something. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must be god-like in your omniscience to know the motives behind my posts.

The "law" of faith and the "law" of Christ are figurative. They are not literal. If you don't understand theology, ask.

Daniel

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Galatians 6:2
    Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the LAW OF CHRIST.

Does one also figuratively fulfill this law?

Romans 3:27
    Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the LAW OF FAITH.

Figurative??? No.

This is a rabbit trail off the subject. One is sactified the same way he is justified - by grace through faith. When you get saved, you will be bound to the law of Christ.

The point was that Scripture is absolutely authoritative (See Mt.4 and Lk.4). Mods and libs don't want it to be.

Just imagine an elementary student trying to understand trigonometry. In frustration they say that the don't understand or that the trigonometry is a waste of time and full of errors. All libs and mods do the same thing with God's word. Since it doesn't make sense to them, it must have errors. Nevermind that many have taken the so-called errors and contradictions and once again validated Scripture.

Just out of curiosity, David and Daniel, where did you guys go to school? [​IMG] :eek:

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: PreachtheWord ]

4. MarciontheModerateBaptist

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> When you get saved, you will be bound to the law of Christ.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is exactly what Paul preached against in Galatians - being bound by the law. I am not going to do this immature tit-for-tat posting anymore. If you have something of substance to write, then I will respond.

Daniel

5. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

This discussion is a lot like spitting in the wind - everything everyone says simply gets thrown back into their faces without having any impact on the other.

It's obvious that both sides hold that their own views are correct, and aren't about to bend.

The only redeeming value of this discussion is for those who are following along silently, and considering the arguments for themselves. I'm sure they can see the truth. But the "combatants" are just getting wet. :rolleyes:

Of course, I don't have any room to talk - I'm all wet too! :rolleyes: :D

I'm simply surprised that this has gotten to be 9 pages long! :eek:

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: Glory Bound ]

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarciontheModerateBaptist:
    God, Christ and the Holy Spirit are all inerrant - this is not a problem if you believe in the Trinity.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is not a problem for me but it should be for you ... unless you have not been saying what you mean. You have said that two different things cannot be inerrant. There is only one completely perfect person. Yet I have shown to you three completely different persons who are equally inerrant. Now if you meant what you said earlier (that there cannot be more than one thing that is inerrant or perfect), then you cannot assert that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit can all be perfect. However, if you assert that they can be, then it is obvious that more than one thing or person can be inerrant and your argument concerning Scripture is found to be moot.

7. David Cooke Jr

David Cooke Jr New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Just out of curiosity, David and Daniel, where did you guys go to school? [​IMG] :eek:

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: PreachtheWord ][/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
    Where did I go to school?
    I have a bachelors from Univ. of GA, and a law degree from Mercer. I went to McAfee for one semester before realizing that the courtroom was to be my pulpit and the jury my congregation.

[​IMG]
    Most of my "theological" education comes from reading different commentaries that I own or that my father-in-law owns.

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: David Cooke, Jr. ]

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All the fundamentalists on this board seem to have a problem with "experience." A faith is not a faith at all if it is not an experienced faith.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> By what standard should we judge whether our faith "experience" is of God, our own creation, or of Satan himself? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> There are two main sides to this issue: (1) The side which experiences their faith based on a book which is, if perfect, then by definition equal to Christ;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> False. We judge our experiences by the standard of scripture. Our faith is based on the revelation of God given through the inerrant, inspired scriptures.

God is perfect. Creation was once perfect. They have never been equal. The creation can never be equal to the Creator. The Word is God's "created" revelation of Himself. To say they are inerrant in the original is completely consistent with saying that God created a perfect world which was defiled by man's sin. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> (2) The side which experiences their faith based on Christ, who is alone perfect. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Once again, what is the standard outside of yourself by which you judge whether your experienced faith is "based on Christ" or something else?

How do you define Christ as your foundation? This is the defining question. Is He to be defined by scriptures or by experiences?

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The issue is this: You validate Christ by the Scriptures; I validate the Scriptures by Christ. I know the accounts of Jesus' life are based on truth because I know Christ. You say you know Christ because the accounts of his life are based on truth.

Daniel
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would phrase the issue a little differently. Your beliefs about Christ are your foundation for judging scripture. Scripture is my foundation for judging what I believe about Christ. The difference is much more than semantics.

Also, I do validate scripture by God. I believe it is perfectly consistent with His character that anything He directly inspires or creates will be without error and authoritative.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Answer this: can there be two perfect revelations,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> and, if so, which should we worship?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> The Creator, not the creation. The One who IS, not that which exists by inspiration from the One who IS. The God who is declared, not the inerrant declaration of Him.