1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Chastening

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by James_Newman, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Scripture please?

Yeah IF YOU ENDURE.

I notice that you simply chose not to deal with that particular bit of the text. What happens to those that don't endure?

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

And then you provide none.

Where is the scripture?

Again no scripture

Again you continue to provide no scripture.

Yet again no scripture.

No one has suggested such and you still have no scripture

No sir they are calling heresy heresy and it is those who suppport this heresy that seem to be comfortable in their sin. But as usual you still provide no scipture.

Scripture please.

And you have no scripture to put your heresy to the test as has been evidenced in this post.

And they are lost as the day is long.

1Jo 3:8 - He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

I do know maybe in your world being of the devil just means they have been bad little Christians.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

This is just downright comical.

II Timothy did you rip Hebrews 12 out of your Bible? Last time I checked the book of Hebrews was Scripture. I'm sure you will correct me on that one though.

Since you obviously missed the Scripture here it is again:

If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? cripture?

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Alot of gall asking for scripture when yu yourself provide none.

Let me answer that for you.

2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

7. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Sorry Amy, but your lack of understanding of how something can happen does not a doctrine make. The text says IF YOU ENDURE. That means that you can not endure.

So once again what happens to those that do not endure?

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Sorry but that doesn't say you are going to be sorrowful for all your sins that you commit. Try again. That says godly sorrow does some things, but what is DOES NOT say is that everyone possess this godly sorrow.

Care to try again?

9. 2 Timothy2:1-4

What is comical is your attempt at slight of hand in a forum. this single passage does not cover the entire post nor does it apply to your assertion. Try again.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Ok, you guys are using the KJV. Sorry, but I use the NASB. So we're not on the same page.

11. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Does not the word "if" tell us that there is a condition? If you endure . . .

I looked at nine different translations and the only one that didn't look obvious that endurance was something could or could not be done was the NASB. All the others made it a matter condition.

12. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

How is posting Scripture slight of hand. First you accuse me (and falsely I might add) of not posting Scripture and then you are proven wrong and this is all you can come up with?

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"If you (a believer) endure chastening..."
    How is it possible that a believer not endure chastening? It is not a condition that is put on the believer. You are taking it wrong J.Jump.
    For example:
    If my daughter endure a spanking...
    How can she not endure the spanking? If I spank her will she endure the pain? She has no choice but to endure the pain. He fanny is not made of stainless steel. It will hurt and she must endure the pain. "If she endure..."
    It is a surety. The believer will endure.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

. NIV/TNIV; RSV,NRSV,ESV; HCSB and the ASV do not have "If." What are those nine versions that you looked up?

15. 2 Timothy2:1-4

You made multiple assertions in that one post (8 or 9)with no scriptual backing. Maybe you should go back and reread your psot.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I need to get acquainted with the KJV.

2. But for someone who does know it and use it, this makes a lot of sense.

17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Seven editions of the KJV, the NKJV and Youngs Literal? Just kidding...

18. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well let's just refresh our memories of what exactly I was talking about shall we:

Well once again it still stands that you were incorrect. Because not only did I provide Scripture, but I provided Scripture in the very quote that you questioned.

Yes I made more assertions, but let's just deal with what's on the table shall we. You falsely accused me of not posting Scripture when you even quoted the Scripture that I posted. That's false accusation no matter how you draw it up.

And I can just feel your sorrow for falsely accusing me.

19. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

KJV, NKJV, Amplified, NIV, NASB, NLT, CEV, RSV, YLT, HCSB I guess there were 10.

20. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Again your lack of understanding how something is or might be does not a doctrine make. You can't simply say well I can't see how a saved person can't endure chastening so that means they can't.

The same way I have a friend that says he can't understand how a person can understand the gift of everlasting life and walk away from it and that is one of his biggest arguments as to why he is a calvinist.

You simply can't make doctrines stand on what you can understand and what you can't.

What does the Bible say? If you endure. That means you can endure and that means that there is a possibility you won't endure.

As to your child example there are children that grew up in homes where they received discipline and it did not stop their rebellion, so while they endured the pain of chastening they didn't actually endure the chastening, because the chastening didn't have it's desired impact on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.