1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Chastening

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by James_Newman, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Read the life of David careflully. Many times he was chastized of the Lord, and sometimes quite severly so. David was a man after God's own heart, the only one in Scripture to be named as such. The difference between David and others is that when David sinned he repented of his sin. When he was corrected he accepted it.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I thought your sins were paid for at the cross, why the chastisement? Why the advocate if we do sin? Did all of a sudden you sins were not paid for?

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

According to ME, the only sins that are paid for are those you commit up until you're saved. After that, you either have to confess them or pay for them yourself in hell/outer darkness/lake of fire/insert ME theory here.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Psalm 51 is a particularly good example of repentance by David.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The purpose of chastizment is not to pay for sins. They are already paid for by the finished work of Jesus. The purpose of chastizement is for God to get your attention when one ignores the guidance of the Holy Spirit. I think (thank) chastizement is part of the sanctification process.

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Just curious -- if the cross only paid for the sins we commit before we're saved, isn't that a bizarre form of limited atonement?

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Limited atonement (if one believes that point) has to do with the number of individuals, not a time span.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Psalms 32:1-2
    1 A Psalm of David, Maschil. Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
    2 Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

Interesting thing about David is that even though his sins were forgiven, he still suffered chastening for them.

2 Samuel 12:13-14
    13 And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the LORD. And Nathan said unto David, The LORD also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die.
    14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.

Is this 'paying for' his sin?

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Or, you were never saved to start with, then you would go to hell except you repent and be born again.

Hbr 6:4For [it is] impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

Hbr 6:6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put [him] to an open shame.

#49 Brother Bob, Aug 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007
  10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. As someone who believes in Particular Atonement, you have given too narrow of a view of it.

2. Particular Atonement takes care of the sins sinners, past, present and future. That's the complete concept of it.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree with that statement. I didnt word it too well. There is no time element in this concept like there is no time element in Christ's forgiveness, as the so called ME crowd says.

Also, I agree with your view of limited attonement. (Particular). I absolutely refuse to get in a Calvin-free will debate. It produces nothing, changes no minds, and the rants go on forever.

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

This makes no sense in terms of ME. If you can pay for your sins by spending 1,000 years in hell, then you don't put Him to open shame, since you took care of the debt, yourself. Not that ME makes any sense, anyway, but that seems to contradict this passage in Hebrews.

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Would you go to a party and ignore the host? Why would you invade a thread started by someone you considered a 'heretic' and have them on ignore? Heretic or not, manners are always appreciated.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

How do you put someone on ignore?

15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Go to their profile, and you will see the option to put them on ignore. I believe it's in the bar on the right. I don't understand why it isn't easier than that. You get an option right on a post to REMOVE someone from ignore, but (unless I missed something) you have to go the profile to PLACE someone on ignore. Go figure.

#55 npetreley, Aug 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007
  16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

You'd have to ask npetreley, he uses it the most I think.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Like prayer, the Atonement as it applies to our sins must be viewed in the same matter. Before we pray, God already knows what we need before we ask, prayer shows our dependence on God and glorifies God (Ps 50:15).

2. When we sin and confess them, it shows our dependence on God and glorifies him, but those sins have already been paid for (1 John 2:12)

3. We need to believe that the Atonement of Christ accomplish something.

18. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Exactly. This is an excellent view of both prayer and atonement, IMO.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Excellent post. The ME whatever it is takes away from your third point.

20. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

What did the atonement of Christ accomplish? I think some would believe that every penalty for sin was wrapped up at the cross, but if that were so, how could God still chasten us for sin? How was David still chastened for his sin after God forgave him and put away his sin? I believe in the full atonement of Jesus Christ on the cross, and that those who are under the blood will not pay for their sins on the last day, but daily consequences were obviously not part of the atonement and there is no principle that denies God the right to chasten us after death either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.