1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Chastening

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by James_Newman, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

As said before, chastizement has to do with sanctification, not sin forgiveness.

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

We have established that sin forgiveness doesn't eliminate chastening. All you have to do is prove that chastisement is only for sancification and never for punishment. Does God punish believers for sins?

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I'll go back to my original post:

Leviticus 26:14-33
    14 But if ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments;
    15 And if ye shall despise my statutes, or if your soul abhor my judgments, so that ye will not do all my commandments, but that ye break my covenant:
    16 I also will do this unto you; I will even appoint over you terror, consumption, and the burning ague, that shall consume the eyes, and cause sorrow of heart: and ye shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it.
    17 And I will set my face against you, and ye shall be slain before your enemies: they that hate you shall reign over you; and ye shall flee when none pursueth you.
    18 And if ye will not yet for all this hearken unto me, then I will punish you seven times more for your sins.
    19 And I will break the pride of your power; and I will make your heaven as iron, and your earth as brass:
    20 And your strength shall be spent in vain: for your land shall not yield her increase, neither shall the trees of the land yield their fruits.
    21 And if ye walk contrary unto me, and will not hearken unto me; I will bring seven times more plagues upon you according to your sins.
    22 I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children, and destroy your cattle, and make you few in number; and your high ways shall be desolate.
    23 And if ye will not be reformed by me by these things, but will walk contrary unto me;
    24 Then will I also walk contrary unto you, and will punish you yet seven times for your sins.
    25 And I will bring a sword upon you, that shall avenge the quarrel of my covenant: and when ye are gathered together within your cities, I will send the pestilence among you; and ye shall be delivered into the hand of the enemy.
    26 And when I have broken the staff of your bread, ten women shall bake your bread in one oven, and they shall deliver you your bread again by weight: and ye shall eat, and not be satisfied.
    27 And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but walk contrary unto me;
    28 Then I will walk contrary unto you also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins.
    29 And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.
    30 And I will destroy your high places, and cut down your images, and cast your carcasses upon the carcasses of your idols, and my soul shall abhor you.
    31 And I will make your cities waste, and bring your sanctuaries unto desolation, and I will not smell the savor of your sweet odors.
    32 And I will bring the land into desolation: and your enemies which dwell therein shall be astonished at it.
    33 And I will scatter you among the heathen, and will draw out a sword after you: and your land shall be desolate, and your cities waste.

Punishment and chastisement are synonyms.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

So is discipline. You get an A- in Eng 101.

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Eh. I say let him go back to the law to try to earn salvation. There's a lesson in there somewhere. ;)

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

So God can 'punish', 'chasten', 'discipline' believers even though their sins are 'paid for'.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

an observation apart from the OP...wasn't more bandwidth used discussing bandwidth usage...than anybody's signature?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

legal atonement...yes. OJ was found not guilty criminally, but still had to pay civily for his crime.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, say its Brother Bob you want to Ignore, just click on my name and in the upper right hand corner it says; "do you want to add to your ignore list" click yes, if that is what you want.

BBob

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. How can a person believe in the full atonement of Christ and still believe that personal sins committed daily were not part of the atonement?

2. David was dealing with the consequences of his sins. Sins do have consequences in this life for the believer, even though their sins have been atoned, marking the seriousness of sin.

3. God disciplines/chastens his children as part of the process of sanctification (Heb 12:4-11).

4. Precisely because the blood of Christ not only covers our sins at the point of initial salvation but also daily sins, we can confess them to him and receive forgiveness.

5. If the Atonement doesn't take care of my personal sins, then I have a lot of sins piling up and 1000yrs in outer darkness is hardly enough time to pay for them.

6. By the way, is it fair for me to spend the same 1000yrs in outer darkness for committing less sins as someone else.

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I don't think you think that is what I am saying.
    Punishment is a consequence. One could hardly argue that this (the death of his child) was a natural consequence, this was a super-natural consequence from God and he was told as much.
    Hebrews 12:5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
    Can a believer despise the chastening of the Lord? Can a believer faint? What happens then?
    Or we can not confess them and not receive forgiveness?
    Shouldn't we all be concerned about sin in our lives? Why is it that when we expect a free pass at the judgment seat, all those sins piling up don't cause any concern?
    Is it fair for someone who sinned more to be saved in eternity and someone who sinned less to spend eternity in the lake of fire? Is it fair for Jesus Christ to pay for our sins? Nevertheless, I think there will be degrees of punishment during the millennium for those who do not enter the kingdom. Many stripes/few stripes, etc...

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The wages of sin is death, 1,000 years of torture, or what's behind curtain number 3!

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Well, tell me what you are saying.

2. I don't believe I objected to what is plain in Scripture.

3. Why not focus on v.11, which states the purpose for the chastening?

4. What is this nonsense?

5. You need to get your doctrine of hamartiology straight. Who champions free pass? Did you get that from my comments?

6. I don't know what you are really saying in that quote. My understanding of the sovereign grace of God in my life would not allow me to go where your comments lead. Sorry.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Curtain #3 is a good observation at this point.

15. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I'm saying that a believer is absolutely saved regardless of any sins they commit, don't confess, whatever. It's a free gift. But that free gift does not include reigning with Christ, that is a reward for faithful believers who will hear his word and do it. If missing that reign is a consequence of sin, how does that make us 'pay for our sin' if consequences in this life are not 'paying for our sin'?
    Hebrews 12:11
    11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Does it yield the peacable fruit of righteousness unto them which despise the chastening, or faint when they are rebuked? If not, what does it yield?
    You think confession is just to make you feel better? What about this verse-
    Matthew 6:14-15
    14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
    15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
    Do you think that we can be saved by forgiving men their trespasses? Or is there a sense in which we must be forgiven that was not automatically accomplished at the cross?

So then you believe that a believer has something to fear at the judgment seat of Christ? What is that something? And why does my answer cause you to regret sin more than your answer?
    I know.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly, and the loss suffered is the fact we will not REIGN with Christ...but we will still be in the MK regardless. If you have the opportunity to rule, but blow that opportunity, that is suffering great loss!

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Where does the Bible say that? What will happen to those believers who miss the reign?

2. BTW, does your concept of faithful believers mean that they will be sin free and therefore earn a right to reign with Christ? That must be, since missing the reign is a consequence of sin.

3. You are espousing a doctrine that you don't even believe, except theoritically.

4. Isn't the Scripture plain enough for you? Why the gymnastics?

5. What do you want me to say?

6. I believe you may have misunderstood me. Where did you get that from my comments?

#77 TCGreek, Aug 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007
  18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

That sin you are talking about is supposed to be "white as snow", so, did the Lord tell false when He said never to be remember against you anymore? If He chastises you for it, He remembered it, now didn't he. Its time for honesty!!

What you are saying is that Christ paid for your sins and you will pay for any sins committed after your salvation. If you give your body to be burned it would profit you nothing.

So, you pay for your own sins then after salvation. You do not have anything to pay with.

He said He wouldn't remember it, but He did remember it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does it accomplish? If the sin is already been cast to never be remember against you again and here He is remembering it. That makes about as much sense as falling off a log backwards.

#78 Brother Bob, Aug 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007
  19. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Wow here you have argued with us so much in the past and now you are in agreement with at least some of the proponents of the gospel of the kingdom.

Not all of those that believe in the gospel of the kingdom believe the saved will burn for the duration of the kingdom. They simply believe that they will miss out on the kingdom and receive their payment in outer darkness.

The guy that I studied the most from believes this way. And I would agree with you that this is a TREMENDOUS loss. But I don't think the suffering the loss of the opportunity to reign is where it stops. Because not only do you suffer loss, but you are also repayed a just wage for your works. So it goes beyond that.

So whether you want to say that you get beaten with stripes in the darkness outside or in the fire that was prepared for the Devil and his angels I don't think matters much. It's going to be a painful situation wherever it is don't you think?

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. That's what I'm led to believe somehow.

2. Something like that. The plot thickens, I say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.