1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Confusion

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Baptist4life, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the other thread was closed before anyone responded to this post, I'd like your thoughts to the following:
    Example:
    Two people are reading two different versions of the Bible. One version has a particular passage in it. The other version does not. They're comparing Scripture when one of them says, "hey, what are you reading? That's not in my Bible." They start comparing and sure enough, the passage is in one version and yet missing from the other. So, naturally they start checking that out. Then they find that some people think it is supposed to be in there, and must have been taken out from the other version. Other people say it's a mistake, and was added. OK, so naturally, they start to wonder, is that the Word of God or not? And if it isn't supposed to be in there, what else was added that isn't the Word of God? ..or........what else has been left out that is the Word of God? If they can't believe, or know for sure, that what they're reading is, or isn't, supposed to be in there, DOUBT creeps in. Simple as that. I've seen it happen.

But, yet, there are Christians who will say that they BOTH are correct, and equally the Word of God. To me, that's just impossible. One of them is right, the other is wrong. I'm not saying which one is right, only that they both cannot be.

BTW, this is NOT a KJV vs. everything else post! I didn't mention ANY versions in my example.

#1 Baptist4life, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011
  2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

No translation is perfectly correct. What I can say is that if one is missing/added in a translation, what it is teaching will be in the Bible. The debate isn't over the subject but if the original writer put that statement there.

Example. Col 1:14 and Ephesians 1:7

Colossians 1:14
    ESV: in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
    KJV:In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Ephesians 1:7
    ESV:In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,
    KJV: In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Is redemption through the blood? Yes, it's all throughout the Bible. Are the words "through his blood" supposed to be included in Colossians 1? Well, first all it doesn't matter theologically. I John 1:9 doesn't mention anything about blood either, but that doesn't change anything. The question is it was originally part of the letter Paul wrote to the Colossians. In this particular example, the reading is a later reading. The older reading doesn't include it. In addition, it's also a minority reading. That's why most say it wasn't part of the Bible to begin with. Now, is what it saying wrong? Of course not! Are there places the KJV is right and the ESV or NASB is wrong. Of course! None are perfect translations. They are just that though, man made translations of the Word of God. You may say you believe it was part of the original, ok. That's fine. Doesn't make a difference as far as theology goes. Are there places the ESV is right and the NASB is wrong? of course! Are there places the NASB is right and the ESV is wrong? Of course!

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

BFL, I'm sorry that you are confused so you better stick to your one version and go to a church that only uses one. Myself, my church, and many others aren't confused. Now, just because you are confused and some of our brethren along with you doesn't mean that the rest of us have to acquiesce to it. When some have expressed a concern over the minor differences a little education about translations goes along away for most people and they no longer have a concern. For those who continue to doubt afterward, I will send them to you so that you can be confused together.

#3 sag38, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011
  4. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that your thinly veiled way of calling me stupid? I never said "I" had a problem with it, I only posted it because some of you have stated other people DON'T have a problem with all the different versions. I'm telling you that they do. That's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.