1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Qualifications for Evangelists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by OnfireforJesus, May 19, 2006.

1. OnfireforJesus

OnfireforJesus New Member

I would like to know does the Bible give qualifications for Evangelists as it does for deacons and Pastors?

2. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

I don't know of any verses that address requirements for an evangelist specifically. Though I would call an Evangelist a "travelling preacher" and as such I think that he should fulfill the same qualifications as one who fills the pulpit to preach God's truth...sounds like a Pastor to me!! ;) [​IMG]

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes: The banner headline over the BB opening page reads:

BECOME A LEGALLY ORDAINED MINISTER---FREE [LINK]

"The First International Church Of The Web is Non-Denominational, preferring to emphasize the Love of our Lord Jesus Christ rather than individual differences of interpretation."

WHO NEEDS EVANGELISTS?

You probably don't even need to own a Bible.

Rob

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

You probably don't even need to be human.

5. NateT

NateT Member

I would warn, with respect to the OP, that Paul lists evangelists as a gift that God has called. But he does so within the context of a local church. I don't think he's talking there about "lone ranger" evangelists, but rather those sent out by a church.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well here's a question then: Should there be evangelists that have not been sent out by a church?

7. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I think that the lack of specific requirements for the office of evangelist makes it distinct from pastor or deacon. The last two have a symbolic role in leading the church and, as such, might have specific requirements such as "husband of one wife" which did not apply to the evangelist.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

menageriekeeper said--asked:
    This question might be worth starting another thread, but it's a good question.

Nate, I think you can make a case for your position.

9. NateT

NateT Member

Well think of it this way, if you are an evangelist sent by FBC Whosville, and you start preaching that Jesus was just a good man and not God, then your church could discipline you. Yet, if you are out there on your own, you can say whatever you want, and the only "discipline" you might suffer is from some churches not calling you to lead a revival.