1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Theology of work

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Oct 16, 2011.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am peaching tonight at a nursing home and I am confused by a passage eph 2:10. Does this mean secular work or work done in the body of Christ? Not all of us have jobs we are passionate about or in areas where we are most skilled due to the economy and other factors. Should we just quit a job we hate and fine one we love? Thats the way many contemporary authors put it, however Piper, MacArthur, Stanley, Lutzer, Hughes, and others say e are missionaries in a fallen world and our secular jobs are not exactly about us being fulfilled. Thanks if anyone can shed light on this topic.

John

2. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

personally I don't see how "good works" can be secular work.

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Good works certainly can be from our employment within the secular world, in proper behavior toward our employer.

Titus 2:9; 1 Peter 2:18; 1 Timothy 6

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

This passage is not primarily speaking of employment, but of the fact that when god saved us, one product of that is that we are now able to do good works for others. this can be simple service, work in the church, helping your neighbor, or work you do at your job that helps people. For those in a nursing home, it can apply to an enouraging word to another resident...etc.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This topic is very large and since I am only limited to 10-15M I cant go into really any depth, but just scratch the surface. I am defining what work is Biblically, what work is not (thanks to self help christian authors who tell us that work is about self fulfillment, making money, paying back debts, etc..) and I use application on how people can apply what I have said and be workers for Christ in a fallen world.

Here are some good quotes from some good authors on this subject.

Piper Quotes from Don’t Waste your Life

“You don’t waste your life by where you work, but how and why.”

“We make much of Christ by working to keep us from being
    dependant on others, while focusing on the helpfulfness of our work rather than the financial rewards.”

Kent Hughes from Disciplines of a Godly Man

“The Way we work will reveal how much we have allowed the image of God to develop in us. There is immense dignity in work and in being workers.

Erwin Lutzer from Making the Best of a Bad decision

“God has put you in that difficult place to be his witness.”

The Lutzer quote brings defeat to self help Christian authors who encourage their readers to quit their jobs when they are not fulfilled, satisfied, or when things are not going well. Granted it would be great if God allowed all of us to work in great environments, around great people, and doing what we are most passionate about. However there is no guarantee of this.

#5 evangelist6589, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
  6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like Ephesians 2:8-10. I used it alot when I taught at a Christian school for a few years in leading children to the Lord.

I would always tell the students that God has work for us to do every single day that we are alive on this earth and because we are saved by the gift of His grace.

It might be hard work that involves a 9-5 job or it might be going out of your way to show kindness to someone who needs it. It does include the concept of a work ethic and selfless living, but extends far beyond the secular work place.

It could be paying someone's utility bills for them or doing your homework with diligence or reading your Bible daily or leading someone to Christ or cleaning your house or visiting the sick in the hospital or anything that God's places in your life that day.

It will rarely be acknowledged by others, but that doesn't matter. It will most likely be small things but will include some big things.

It's about doing what Paul says - doing everything that we do for the glory of God.

And it's ALWAYS about obeying God in whatever he tells you to do. Period. Everyday.

It's about living in obedience.

#6 Scarlett O., Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This will be a topical study instead of a verse by verse exposition which take far more time to preach, research, and are not always necessary. I will use these verses.

Eph 2:10- For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

1 Cor 10:31-Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Col 3:17-And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Ecc 9:10-Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

9. joey

joey Member

I always thought good works referred to "good deeds", which could be doing any good thing AS A RESULT of faith to bring glory to God.

10. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

True.

“It is not what a man does that determines whether his work is sacred or secular; it is why he does it.” A. W. Tozer

“And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” (Colossians 3:17)