1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Timeline of Creation

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by rlvaughn, Feb 17, 2005.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the OEC vs. YEC thread, I mentioned this, but didn't get any response. Well it was a little off topic anyway, but I'm going to ask a question here.

This is concerning Tony Warren's "Biblical Timeline of Creation". Using his method of interpreting the Biblical chronology, he had dated the creation to 1996 as 13008 years - much older than most young earth people think, while still much younger that old earth people would think. I would like you to take a look at his article and give me your response. It is found here:

The Biblical Timeline of Creation

I am not so much looking for a critique of his date, though that can hardly help from entering into your thoughts. But I am asking more from the standpoint of his methodology. Is there any validity to his method of counting the Biblical chronologies? Have you ever seen this method before (it was a first for me)? Any other related info will be appreciated, but try to stay on topic. Thanks.

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I know this may not be what you are looking for, but most YEC scientists I know date it between 12K and 14K years, putting this right in the middle.

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting, Phillip. I would have thought that the common belief would have been around 6000 years. Since you brought this up, how do most of those who believe 12k to 14k arrive at this age - scientific data, Bible chronology, or a combination of both? Just curious, I hope this thread won't get off to an argument between the two. The "Ussher way" of figuring the chronologies puts creation at circa 4004 B.C.. I'm sure most are familiar with that.

I think Tony's argument is based solely on Bible chronology. If you get a chance, consider how he interprets the chronologies and tell me what you think of his method. It was a little mind boggling to me, until I finally saw what he was getting at. Still not sure that I agree, but he does carefully stay with Scripture (but whether his original premise of how to count the chronologies is scriptural may be questionable to a lot of people).

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I honestly do not know. I will be talking to one of them next week. I will ask. Let me be clear that these are scientists that I am familiar with personally, and may not be mainstream YEC.

They work in different fields and happen to be Christian and they also believe Genesis to be literal. I have heard them talk about this before, but I do not know how they determined the approximate time that they use.

It will be interesting to find out what their thoughts are about this.

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Did you read the article linked above? It is interesting and although I did not have time to digest it, it may hold some answers. I will try to read it in a day or two in detail.

6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I've read it, but that was about 5 or 6 years ago. I look forward to hearing what you have to say after you read it.

Here's a couple of quotes that might peak someone's interest:

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't see him explain why the Bible says that each of these patriarchs lived a certian number of years, begat another, then lived so many years after. ie:

"9And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan:

10And Enos lived after he begat Cainan eight hundred and fifteen years, and begat sons and daughters: "

This doesn't seem to jive with his contention that Cainan was born in the year Enos died.

Perhaps there is a problem with the English translations here?