1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical wine -- alcoholic or juice

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by mcdirector, Sep 4, 2006.

?
  1. alcoholic

25 vote(s)
    86.2%
  2. juice

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

We've had a couple (mmmm well more than that) of thread debating whether the wine that Jesus drank was alcoholic or merely juice.

I don't say much on those threads because others state the case I would state so much better.

But I am curious as to how many feel that the wine of the Bible had alcoholic content or was just juice.

Please vote -- just to satisfy my curiosity.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Probably wasn't this . . .
    [​IMG]

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #3 Jerome, Sep 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
  4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some on this board must think it was this:

[​IMG]

5. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Wine in the Bible is both fermented and unfermented--depending on the context. God's Word does not contradict itself--wine cannot be a BLESSING and a MOCKER--it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Although some on this board want to justify their use of alcoholic beverages, so they claim that ALL wine in the Bible was fermented/alcholic.

6. His Blood Spoke My Name

I cannot answer the poll, for the true answer is not there. The true answer is, without a doubt, it was both alcoholic and non-alcoholic.

While we see figures like Noah, Lot, and others getting drunk on an alcoholic wine, we also see Scripture pointing to the fact that there was also a wine of a non-alcoholic nature.

The problem is people want to interpret wine as being alcoholic because
    1. If they can convince others it was alcoholic, then that justifies their own use of it.
    2. If they can convince others that Christ gave alcoholic wine to the wedding guests at Cana, then that justifies their own use of it.
    3. If they can convince others that Christ drank alcoholic wine, then that justifies their own use of it.

Apparently they have convinced others of the alcohol being ok to drink. But they have not convinced me.

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't drink alcohol of any nature. It's my choice....it's my body.

But I believe that when the bible says "wine", it means "wine"....a fermented beverage.

It don't believe that to "justify" anything.

Now, if you could explain to me using scripture that there is alcoholic wine and grape juice-wine in the bible and that when Jesus turned the water into wine that He was just making juice.......I will listen, open-minded to you.

8. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Wine most certainly can be both a blessing and a mocker. Many such chemicals can be, actually. Alcohol can be used as medicine (eg. most cold medications) or as an intoxicating beverage. One is a blessing, the other a curse. Ephedrine can be used for allergies, to clear the sinuses, or it can be used to make crystal meth. One use benneficial, and the other harmful.

I am not justifying my drinking, as I do not drink, but it is a great misunderstanding of a great many things to try to think that wine is anything other than wine.

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Guns can be a blessing and a curse, but they're not mentioned in the Bible.

How about silver? It's the symbol of redemption, yet Judas accepted it for betrayal.

How about knives? Fire? Governments?

10. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

But weaponry in general...

"But Jesus said to him, "Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword." Matthew 26:52, NKJV.

"Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Luke 22:36, NKJV.

As you have pointed out, a great many things can be both a blessing and a curse. It all has to do with what sinful humans do with what God has made.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'm with her...

12. His Blood Spoke My Name

It matters not whether you are with her or not, what matters is does this belief that Jesus made, drank and endorsed alcoholic wine line up with God's Word?

And the Biblical answer to that is a resounding No!

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm sorry, but I've seen no conclusive evidence that the biblical answer is a resounding no.

I have seen bibical and historic evidence put forth that the wine in the Bible was indeed alcoholic wine. I do not have to drink wine to see and understand this evidence. It is not a justification of sin. It is a simple fact.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

She voted for me by proxy... :thumbs: :laugh:

However, if I must speak, I'm with Bitsy, I find the conclusive evidence showing non-alchoholic wine was made in Bible days.

Jesus made = yes
    Jesus drank = yes
    Endorsed, I didn't hear him speak one way or the other. I'd hate to put words in the Lords mouth, I think he does a good job speaking for Himself...

15. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I could not vote because some of the Biblical wine was alcoholic and some was not.

There are two words for wine in the Greek and Hebrew texts. One meaning alcoholic and the other non-alcoholic.

16. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Even that doesn't get that clear cut, however. In the old testament, yes, but in the new, when Jesus made wine, the word oinos is used. According to Strongs this is derived of the hebrew yayin, alcoholic wine.

Yet, in Acts on the day of Pentecost, when people accuse the apostles of being drunk, they say they are full of new wine, gleukos, meaning grape juice.

I do not see where a word study resolves this issue.

17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

It doesn't. I was just explaining why I could not vote.

There were only two choices. There should have been a third choice - "both of the above".