1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Biblicists and Pharisees

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Aug 1, 2020.

1. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the most obvious example that comes to mind is the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man. A "literal interpretation" would believe that Jesus was describing an actual person and a true picture of Hell. A "liberal interpretation" would believe that is is all a fictional tale intended to teach a lesson, like the stories about gathering sheep and goats and sorting them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So would be denying Jesus as God, that he died on the Cross for sinners, and was resurrected then?

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. "Letterism" is a faulty way of interpreting any text. But when it comes to Scripture I do believe that we are not to go beyond what is written if at all possible. When we do then we forfeit objectivity and anything we have to say becomes subjective. Either Scripture is the standard by which we judge doctrine or it is not. Too often people prefer tradition over Scripture. The difference is biblical understanding derived through theology versus theology verses through Scripture. I believe the latter appropriate (and even here there will be enough debate over interpretation).

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree:Thumbsup

5. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a conveniently cherry-picked example.
    The Pharisees believed in a literal resurrection and were right, whereas the Sadducees who spiritualized it were wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1