1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biden Received Five Student Draft Deferments During Vietnam War

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden received five student draft deferments during the Vietnam War, the same number of deferments received by Vice President Dick Cheney, and later was disqualified from service because of asthma as a teenager,

More Here

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So? What is your point?

3. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

The point is that he was an all-star athlete when he was in high school. He played physically demending sports but he could not serve in the military?:confused:

#3 Bible-boy, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  4. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

YOUTUBECANBESAVED New Member

CNS news need we look further

I do not trust anything coming out of CNS news they are a in the tank for anything right wing or Republican to support their P.O.V. they are up there with Faux news in extreme bias .

Cybercast News Service's leadership consists of president L. Brent Bozell III. Editor-in-chief David Thibault (deceased) became top editor in April 2005. He died on July 20, 2007.[2] CNS's editor from 1998-2005 was Scott Hogenson, who also worked as the chief of radio operations for the Republican National Committee in 2004. CNSNews has staff in Washington, D.C., London, Jerusalem and the Pacific Rim.

Terence P. Jeffrey became Editor-in-chief in September 2007. Jeffrey was and remains an editor-at-large for the conservative weekly newspaper Human Events. He wrote editorials for The Washington Times from 1987-1991 and was research director for the presidential campaign of Pat Robertson in 1992. Jeffrey was Robertson's national campaign manager in his 1996 campaign.

if you find another link to back your story then you would get more credibility.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Wow! Not only is Biden experienced, he is also smart!

6. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

The article linked in the OP was written by Associated Press reporter/author Randall Chase. The same article can be found:

http://williamamos.wordpress.com/2008/08/31/joe-biden-used-5-deferments-to-keep-out-of-vietnam/

http://www.courant.com/news/politics/ats-ap-cvn-biden-vietnamaug31,0,2934547.story

http://ap-135.newsvine.com/

So it looks like you railed against CNS as the source for nothing.:tonofbricks:

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I think we need to be careful throwing stuff like this around. It bites from both directions in both parties.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right. I had to bite my fingers before I started a reply. :laugh: [laugh please.]

What does this have to do with Biden's ability to be VP? Nothing.
    Of what importance is it now? None

Useless topic to post.

9. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

YOUTUBECANBESAVED New Member

CNS will find and use even the AP for its agenda

CNS will find and use even the AP for its agenda, and i am sure there are a few AP people who e-mail Karl Rove and tell him to keep up the good work.

This is a non story, He had Asthma, he did not want anyone to pity him , he kept it private.

End of Story

CNS is not mainstream it is biased but you can go there if you want:wavey:

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I never saw how the Vietnam War had anything to do with patriotism since the North Vietnamese never did anything to us until we started bombing their land.

I never really understood that war.

11. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

That's a true statement. He's also a good family man and spent a lot of time with his children. I suppose you'd call that having family values.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

It was a worse boondoggle than Iraq is and yes, I know it was a democrat who was involved; it was a mistake for him just as Iraq was a mistake for Bush, in my opinion.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

With all the myths that liberals have spread about Vietnam over the years, that is hardly a surprise.

Fortunately, your "understanding" isn't necessary.

14. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Anybody who did reasonably well in college, like me, received 4 college deferments. I also flunked the physical on a very real shoulder injury. RevM, I see you weren't around to face the Viet Nam draft but you could have enlisted in Iraq since theyt raised the age. Why didn't you do that?