1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bill Clinton calls for Baptist unity

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Feb 4, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

we contribute it to how many times he's committed adultery, after all there plenty in the news then.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

May I ask a question here?

In order to achieve the unity Mr. Clinton calls for, what exactly will we have to set aside as not important? Not worth dividing over?

And what will the NBC folks be willing to give up to achieve that same unity?

Hmm, let's see. How about conservatives drop inerrancy?

Um, maybe we can drop our insistence on receiving members who have been baptized by immersion.

Surely our pro-life position can be set aside for unity's sake.

Can anybody add to this list?

Oh, and we can drop our insistence that the NBC-CBF folks jettison any of their views. That ought to do it.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Mr. Clinton is speaking of "unity" only on his terms.

4. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Well, I have only know of him admitting to one instance.....

BTW, I actually got to see former President Bill Clinton this afternoon right here in Richmond. He is one of the best public speakers I have ever seen. Whether or not you agree with his politics, you should always jump at the chance to see a current or former POTUS.

Regards,
    BiR

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems you should get out more.

6. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it would better to consider the positive side of this. Here is the link to the New Baptist Covenant web site. I have talked to several people who attended the meetings in Atlanta. One of them, a retired SBC official, told me it was one of the greatest meetings he had ever attended. Also, we had an article in The Tennessean about a man who had planned to leave when Clinton spoke because he was convinced that it would turn political. He said Clinton did much better than he expected.

I would have loved attending this meeting, but my work schedule was too tight for me to get away. I understand the criticisms that have been levelled against Clinton, Gore, and Carter, because people on this forum don't like them nor their positions. However, if they're waiting for somebody who's perfect to step forward, nothing will ever get done. And, if you have known somebody who should have done something like this, why haven't they done something already? What have they been waiting for? You should beware of speaking against someone for taking an initiative that you are unwilling to take.

Tim Reynolds

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This thread is quite amusing. It started with Bill Clinton calling for Baptist unity. It changed to an argument which party's candidates are more ungodly (ie, abortion or torture, war).

My guess is, God looks down at both of our major parties, and Sodom and Gomorrah comes to His mind.

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

How many times was that? There was lots of inuendo, but nothing except his affair with Monica, which he apologized for.

9. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    a quote from an Aired February 18, 2001 CNN News interview with Kyra Phillips:

MILES O'BRIEN,CNN ANCHOR : Enough already.

WILLIAM SCHNEIDER, CNN SENIOR POLITICAL ANALYST: This guy -- this guy attracts controversy wherever he is. I mean, I can think of six controversies since the last week of his presidency. You had the pardons, the plea bargaining over the Monica Lewinsky affair, you had the plunder of the White House, the pranks that were supposedly done, speaking engagements, which have become controversial -- some of them have been canceled -- and now his office space. Here we see him in Harlem.
    He remains a very divisive figure. These are his fervent admirers among the people he's going to be working with in the Harlem area of New York. But you know, a "Newsweek" poll asks should this President -- former president be the target of criminal investigations, which the U.S. attorney has started. And take a look at this: You've got virtually an even split: 43 no, 42 yes, which indicates this president remains intensely divisive.

10. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The way this thread has played out has made Clinton's case for unity better than he did. :D

Tim Reynolds

11. southern_saint

southern_saint New Member

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

In a very real sense the SBC is a former American (Northern) Baptist denomination. They left the combined denomination for two reasons:

1) Slavery,

2) Perceived control by the Northern Baptists.

The second point is much like the reason the CBF left the SBC. The Fundamentalists controlled the convention and weren't willing to give up their power.

13. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hatred drips

The hatred I see dripping from some of the posts here is both very sad and very un-Christian.:tonofbricks:

14. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I think that the only view that needs to dropped by both sides is the "I'm right, and if you don't agree with me, you're going to Hell" view.

Tim Reynolds

15. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Have you ever looked at another woman with lust in your heart? If so then you've cheated on your wife.

16. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Being tempted is not sin. Even Jesus was tempeted by Satan. Carrying through by committing the act is sin.

Thinking about murdering someone is not sin, nor is it illegal. Actually committing murder is not only sin, it is illegal.

If a man cannot control his own lusts, he has no business trying to tell Christians what to do...