1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Billy Donovan to Coach Orlando Magic?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, May 31, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Reports are that the Orlando Magic have offered Florida head coach Billy Donovan the chance to be coach and possibly GM, at 6 million per year. Some reports even say he has already accepted.

Thoughts?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think he is crazy and should have learned from the lessons of Pitino and Calipari. I suspect he will hang around the NBA for 3-4 years and eventually end up back in the college game.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I think he's nuts to leave Florida, but I guess he felt like he had nothing left to prove. I went searching and found a piece at espn.com where Andy Katz wrote the following a week after Donovan turned down UK:

Apparently, this isn't about the money.

Here's a quote from Bill Donovan, Sr.

I don't know how a grueling November to April-May-June NBA season (whenever they lose in the playoffs) translates to spending more time with family, but that's great if it does.

While I still think he's nuts, at least he picked the right conference. As weak as the East is, he should be able to have some moderate success. The Magic have some good players and while they finished 40-42, it was good enough for a first-round playoff exit. Hope it works out for him.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Spend more time with his family? That's not Donovan. Besides, NBA coaches are on the road constantly. They go from city to city and have back to back games frequently. The season is extraordinarily long. And as the GM, he'll be on the clock 24-7-365.

Three side notes. Kentucky fans , and even UK AD Mitch Barnhart, are now spinning this as exoneration. "See, he didn't want our job, he wanted an NBA job." Maybe. But this may prove to justify those who were saying that Donovan did court UK a little bit. He denied talking to UK just like he denied talking to Orlando at the SEC meetings this week, just 36 hours before taking the Orlando job. Also, UK fans feel that their job is more prestigious than any NBA job or any basketball job, so this is pure claptrap.

Second, I heard someone say elsewhere that Tennessee fans must be glad to see Donovan go. Not really a concern. Bruce Pearl was 3-1 against Donovan's Gators, and the 1 loss was with an injury decimated Vols' team. :)

Third, who will FLA get? Jeremy Foley is under pressure. UF fans believe he should've had Donovan signed to the deal he made after Donovan turned down KY.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

3.5 - 5 mill. a year does kind of make UK's offer of only a couple mill., seem a bit paltry by comparison.

Ed

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

UK may or may not be the "most prestigious" in BB, but big money still talks!

And loudly, I add!

Ed

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Apparently, I had bad information about how much Donovan would get paid by Orlando, which is $27.5 mill over 5 years. I briefly watched ESPN and saw him talk about what a hard decision it was to leave Florida. While I think it probably was, I think the extra $2 mill per year he's getting from Orlando over UF will provide enough of a green salve to soothe him.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Tubby was getting 2 mil. I heard offers of near 3 mil for Donovan from UK.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

A report I heard said the UK offer was around $2.5 mill a year to Billy D. $5 M is double that "chicken feed". :rolleyes:

FTR, only one year at $2.5 Mill. and neither my wife nor I would never need to turn another hand, being able to live exceptionally well on only the interest of that much invested "pocket change", at a mere 5% or so.

Not to mention, the investment guys would really love us! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Anyone heard the rumors that Billy D. wants to get out of Orlando and return back to Gainesville, before even getting started?

:rolleyes:

IMO, Florida should tell him to stay gone!

Enough, already, with coaches loudly proclaiming honesty and virtue, and themselves playing job and money games off the court!

"You asked for it; you got it! Orlando!!" (Florida, not Smith!)

Ed

#10 EdSutton, Jun 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2007
  11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well, here it is. Billy D. wants to return to Fla. And Orlando says OK.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6883162

Now if Fla would just say "You made your bed; you lie in it. We don't want you back, either." But we all know that ain't gonna' happen. Frankly, I'm tired of coaches talking out of both sides of their mouth.

"I want another job! Oh!, you'll give me a big salary increase to stay?? OK, I'll stay!" ("And I'll do this all over again in a couple of years, but I just won't say this out loud!")

You want out?; just go., as did 'Tubby' Smith and Vicki DeMoss at UK. No fanfare, no deception! I do hope there was no problem we don't know about with DeMoss, personal or health related.

Ed

12. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

He was getting a salary increase from Florida anyway. The bigger increase was coming from Orlando.

13. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The word is that the job is now going to Van Gundy. He turned down the Pacers job, reportedly due to family reasons (he & family still live in Miami). However, this would be a much easier move for him.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Word here is Vicki just got burnt out. Life is different in Lexington than in Knoxville, in more ways than one. She had more support for the program and the way of life was just easier in Knoxville.

15. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I am very content on how everything ended up. BG will bring UK back to elite status and I much prefer him to Donovan. BG is already doing amazing things at UK. He is single so he is married to basketball so he puts all of his time and effort into the team. This is the most excited I have ever been before a basketball season.

And yes, Donovan has been caught in another lie, but I am glad that the Billy vs Billy rivalry will begin and be an intense one. UK will be much better than FL this upcoming season and I predict a sweep.

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Another lie? I'm not sure where you're going with that comment, AF. Could you elaborate?

17. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He told everyone specifically that he was not courting or talking to Orlando while he was. I think he also said the same thing about the Memphis job. Even his biggest supporters admitted this fact and that he was wrong in what he did. Jay Bilas had a nice article on this entire ordeal and ended it by describing Donovan as "Unprofessional".

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Ahh, ok. I had forgotten about that.