1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Billy Graham's True Denominational Preference

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I was wondering, as I know several Anglicans. Many of them left the Episcopal for the same reasons as was indicated from Salty's link.

I "suspect" that Dr. Grahams like of Evangelical Anglicanism might be in part due some aspects of liturgy, which can and SHOULD have deep meaning and significance. Much like some of the OT practices of the Hebrews.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church in Salty's link thought the Episcopal Church wasn't being liberal enough.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats not a picture of Martyn Lloyd Jones is it....he was a Calvinistic Methodist.

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure that Ringo Starr is an Evangelical Anglican.

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Point being, that despite the name or denomination, one must know what the tenets and core principles are. Even Baptist churches have many "outliars".

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Wiki site

8. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

In our state there are several churches that consider themselves "evangelical Anglicans". They come in various denominations.

What ones I've encountered tend to be very conservative, peopled with folks who like liturgy but no longer can stomach their local ELCA or ECUSA.

Some are very conservative Presbies with only a liberal church around.

And guess what? Some are stoutly conservative Baptists who got tired on the one hand of rock concerts passing for church, and for hyper fundamentalism on the other hand.

9. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It sure sounds like another daughter going back to her mother--Rome.

If Billy Graham had any connections with New Testament Baptists, he abandoned them long ago. He seems to have a certain affiliation with the papacy--which is probably consistent with his statement of faith. His type of evangelism has not shown to be very fruitful in the long haul. The world of Christendom is overrun with easy believe-ism and false professors. We have the unregenerate in high places--many still remember a warm and fuzzy religious feeling in the distant past, yet they are still conformed to the world.

Satan uses religion to devour the souls of men.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#29 Bro. James, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
  10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr Graham does see the Church of Rome as teaching the real Gospel, correct?

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they would be those holding to high view of scriptures, holding to the gospel, but want liturgy and traditional music services....
    main complaint to me would be infant baptism, and their view on church government

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Recently some health care providers came home from Africa with a truly deadly decease. Left out of course, was the love of God through the ministry of Dr. Billy Graham. I believe there is an Evangelical Anglican church in Kenya, doing a great work of ministry.

I can't tell you how many times I have sat next to a missionary, who held lets say "questionable views on some doctrines" but was pouring out every bit of his or her life for Christ. Some of them were Calvinists.

I know a lady who has lived a life of significant physical pain from an illness she caught on the missionary field when just a slip of a girl.

For each and every blowhard questioning Billy, you do not know anything about missionaries who give their lives every day for Christ.

13. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

For what it is worth, I do believe the Baptists in our region who opt for a reformed Anglican service would prefer a simple, more orderly, Christ centered rather than man centered, non manipulative Baptist service. If we had a reformed Anglican one in our town, I might choose to attend despite much I disagree with. Better than the strange bedfellows combination of Calvinist preaching (a plus) and Finneyesque shenanigans in the worship style (a negative.) Second choice to Baptist might be a simple styled, hymn singing Presbyterian service. We do have a good one on the surface, but the pastor is female (no!) and the denom is the one that started ordaining and blessing gays (NO!).

But we are not the Bible belt and do not have a plethora of churches from which to choose.

Just speaking for our region, the mega church mentality or entertainment church has palled on most folks. But, there continue to be churches planted in that vein, and churches transitioning to it. They boast good numbers for a while but when you really watch them, what they have are the same people constantly leaving one church for the newest hottest entertainment. Which leaves the one they left in the lurch and it often closes.

What we would give for an orderly service rather than a rock concert, with Christ centered hymns both old and new, and preaching that proclaims Christ instead of being all about the felt needs of the worshipper. What we would give for a service where your head and your ears didn't ache after the service.

And oh, to hear sin-penalty-repentance-faith-salvation preached again!

14. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as his zeal to have unity among the bethren also meant looking past heresies and mistakes in doctrines!