1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Birth control and Christian colleges.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul33, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Since we were snipped by Dr. Bob, let me start a new forum to discuss this issue.

Why do Christian colleges, Bible colleges, seminaries, and fundamental churches avoid speaking out against the unbiblical use of birth control?

The Bible clearly teaches that children are a heritage from the Lord. The OT teaches that children are a blessing. We are also taught to trust the Lord in everything.

So why have so many Christians bought into the world's view of children? We seem to avoid them just as much as the world does. We seem to view them as burdens and financial baggage. Why is this?

When was the last time you heard a college professor or pastor speak out against birth control?

2. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Amen Paul!

The whole philosophy is just totally apart from the Bible and God. We have 4 children and even Christians look at us like "Good grief, don't they know when to stop that?" I am dead serious and it is repulsive to me. What is wrong with people for thinking this?

From what I remember, the whole philosophy started when some "Dr. Highbrows" wrote a book back in the late 60's or early 70's promoting the idea that we were overpopulating the world and we were going to run out of food. Nuts! That is a philosophy of humanism, isn't it? They say, "No deity will save us, we must save ourselves."

Right. Yet as you say, were is the trust today for the Lord to provide?

When we had our 4th, our "Dr." wanted my wife to have her tubes tied! He was a professing Christian. What a shame and disgrace to refuse the "Fruit of the womb - is HIS REWARD!"

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

We have been blessed with eight children! I am so glad that I discovered what the Bible said about children despite a lack of teaching from all of the "Christian" schools I attended!

Notice how silent this topic is?

4. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Sure is. Then again, maybe folks got the message. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. foxrev

foxrev New Member

That is fantastic Paul! I often say that we will have our "Other 8" in the Millenium! Now, please don't anyone get off on that tangent of children in the Millenium! We need more NOW!

6. foxrev

foxrev New Member

By the way Paul. John R. Rice held that contraception was unscriptural.

One argument is that if God does give you another child, you have it and raise it, who would EVER send it back? No one in their right mind would! How amazing that God gives us the blessing of having more people around us that love us, laugh with us and support us and we them of course, all of our lives!

7. mioque

mioque New Member

"Why do Christian colleges, Bible colleges, seminaries, and fundamental churches avoid speaking out against the unbiblical use of birth control?"
    "
    Among other reasons. Because the RCC already does that, you would be surprised how often one side adopts a position because the other side has adopted the opposite position.

Personally I'm rather gratefull for the invention of the birthcontrol pill (come to think of it so is probably everybody around me). 5 days of being grouchy and miserable less each month.

8. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

I don't mean to start an argument here and I'm not even sure if I can say this here b/c I don't mean for it to be a debate, but did you know that the birthcontrol pill often acts as an abortificiant rather than just as a contraceptive? It will kill a baby that has been conceived by making the lining of the uterus inhospitable and flushes out the new baby, therefore killing it!!! I'm not trying to be condemning here b/c I myself used birth control pills until I realized how bad it was. If you can, visit this link http://www.prolife.com/BIRTHCNT.html to see what the prolife website has to say about it. Also, Randy Alcorn wrote an excellent pamphlet/book about it called "Does the Birth Control Pill cause Abortions?" and you can find this at www.epm.org Once again, I'm not trying to sound mean, but I just thought that you should know as this is something that most doctors and pharmacicists won't tell us! Regardless of your stand on birth control, I think you would agree with me that any birth control that costs the life of a family member is not acceptable!

Anyway, all that said to say that I too am shocked at Christian's general attitude towards children as something that needs to be prevented. Since God makes each and every child, why would we want to prevent him from giving us another blessing!!!!! I found a verse tonight that I especially like in Hebrews 2:13 "And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hat given me." The people in Bible times certainly understood what many christians refuse to admit - that God is the giver of life and that without him, a child cannot be conceived. So, why should we be concerned about having too many children?? Maybe too many according to the world's standards, but not according to God's??? Jacob stated it so plainly in Genesis chapter 30 verse 2. Rachel has just demanded that Jacob give her a baby or she will die. Jacob's response is this "Am I in God's stead, who hat withheld from thee the fruit of the womb?" God is in control of children, we should not be taking this control away from God!!!!!

I like the saying that goes something like this. In the Bible, God calls children and blessing and debt a curse. But in America we apply for a curse and try to prevent blessings!!!"

9. aefting

aefting New Member

FYI, back in 2001 the BJU seminary hosted a Biomedical Ethics conference in which one of the speakers, a medical doctor and BJU graduate, spoke out very strongly against birth control. His was not the only viewpoint promoted but it certainly was not silenced.

Andy

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Maybe the reason many don't speak out against it is because they are committed to speak what God actually says. Since God says nothing about birth control, it would be very difficult to maintain allegiance to HIm and His word while at the same time using his name to speak about something he does not speak about. That is a violation of hte third commandment.

A debate about the wisdom of birth control is certainly merited. A dogmatic position against it is a violation of Scripture.

11. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

We do not practice the use of birth control any longer, but we have tried to "plan" ( I use this word loosely because you can never plan around God) to space our children alittle more evenly. I want many, my wife wants 4, that is what we would prefer, but again God will decide. I agree with Pastor Larry. The scripture is silent on the use of birth control. There are principles that would show us that the use of a morning after pill is the same as abortion, and that the pill itself is questionable as joyfulkeeperathome has pointed out ( that is why we quit using it), but I can see no fault in planning according to cycles, or even the use of a condom. I will not use the pulpit as a soap box to tell everyone what I don't like. The Church today needs to be trained in the Word of God. Many Fundamentalists today don't even preach the fundamentals. There I said it.Don't take offense if it does not apply to you.

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

One of the main reasons is that the majority of Christians don't believe birth control is abortion. I don't believe birth control is abortion. But I'm not going to get into that on this forum.

I've never heard of any college or university speaking against birth control. At my undergrad alma mater Dr. Jerry would beckon most of us to get married (which I avoided) and imply that birth control is okay. Because it is.

Interesting topic.

13. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

OK...I have a question.

I have to wait 2 years from the date of my kidney transplant to even start trying for a baby. Therefore we use the normal male barrier and I am on the BC pill by order of the dr.

Is this wrong for me to take the pill? It would not be a healthy pregnancy before the 2 years are up and I could possibly lose the new kidney that my coworker donated to me (don't think she would like it if I lost it either).

Please tell me your thoughts.

14. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Is this wrong for me to take the pill? It would not be a healthy pregnancy before the 2 years are up and I could possibly lose the new kidney that my coworker donated to me (don't think she would like it if I lost it either).

So your "Doctor" says. What do they really know? What about "THE GREAT PHYSICIAN?"

My Mother's Mom was ORDERED by her Doctor "NO MORE CHILDREN." My Grandmother already had FOUR children. After the birth of the 4th child Grandma was confined to bed for three months and almost did not survive the birth of this fourth child. Mind you, this was back in the days when we did not have "Modern Medicine." 1936 to be exact, and these folks lived in the sticks 60 miles from a city, and, all children were born at home because there were no hospitals in the area.

Three years later, my mother was born along with another girl two years after her and son two years after her! Grandma had 7 total - after she was forbidden by the doctor to have any more after the 4th child. She lived to the good old age of 74, 11 years after Grandpa's going home to Heaven.

Another account of a Dr's orders: A preacher friend of mine in the South who's wife found out she was expecting also found out at the same time she had "Non-Hodgkins Lymnphoma." The Dr ordered an abortion because she would have to start treatments for the cancer. Of course they refused the "Wisdom" of the Doc and prayed. The Lord, in His way, took the child. After the treatments and remission came, God blessed with another child. She ultimately had three children (living).

So much for "Doctors" orders!

Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in men!

15. foxrev

foxrev New Member

aefting says:
    a medical doctor and BJU graduate, spoke out very strongly against birth control

Great for him! However, the administration promotes BC. In their marital counseling they do this at the university. Faculty teach it as well -why? Because they have to that they do not go over the limit set of 3.

16. foxrev

foxrev New Member

God does not speak about Birth Control?

Hmmm. Well, he surely speaks of the one flesh relationship enough. God makes very clear that there is to be a continual close physical relationship between husband and wife. I Corinthians 7 is crystal clear about that.

Also, is Proverbs and the Song of Solomon. Psalm 126 is crystal clear that "The fruit of the womb is His reward!"

Ok, why would anyone not want a "Reward?" Doesn't make ANY sense! None! If God chooses to reward you, then you are BLESSED with a child! Simple as that. Does not God have His own "Birth Control" already? What are miscarriages? Why is it many couples will have 1 or and then they "Cannot" have more when they want them?

The bottom line is that God EXPECTS us to trust Him in the matter and go on and ENJOY the one flesh relationship in marriage without the interference of any device of man!

17. Karen

Karen Active Member

Dear foxrev,
    Sometime visit an old cemetery in which the stones are still legible. I am glad to live in this time period and place in which childbirth is not so dangerous.
    You bring a lot of presuppositions and prooftexts to your case, combined with some anecdotes.
    But many Christians thoughtfully and prayerfully believe that there can be legitimate methods of and reasons for family planning. Which is not the same as abortion.

I know nothing of your particular circumstances. Do you ensure that you time things for your wife's fertile period each month? Is there a duty to actively plan to hit the fertile period?

Dear FBCPastor's Wife,
    Doctors by the kindness of God know a great deal, and much more than even a few years ago.
    Please follow your doctor's instructions. Your co-worker gave you a wonderful gift. I don't think I could be that unselfish, except for a family member. Please don't jeopardize it.

Karen

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better take down my lightning rod on the barn. If God wants my barn to be hit by lightning, I would be trying to thwart His will by taking such a precaution.

Do you all really believe that? Common Puritan thought pre-Ben Franklin.

Medicine/science allow us to make preventive choices about polio, measles, nutrition, aging and, yes, pregnancy.

If you believe that you should just "trust God" and get pregnant as often as it happens, then you'd better "trust God" and never get a pre-natal checkup or vitamin or any of the like. You can't pick and choose.

Absurd.

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a pastor (24+ years) and Christian college professor (8+ years) and have ALWAYS spoken out on the subject. Openly. Privately. I was chair of the Counseling Dept and had to teach classes on marital counseling/family counseling.

Certain types of birth control are abortive and destroy human life. Those are wrong, of course. Other types prevent fertilization and life never occurs. Those become an individual choice as they do not violate principle one of the Bible.

(BTW, the "shell" of why schools do not teach blah blah blah is really deceptive. This topic SHOULD be in the Theology section and deal with Scriptural fact and not anecdotal stories about grandma . . . )

20. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Thank you Karen.

It is very hard for me to take the pill. I have only been married for a year and a half and I want to start having children so bad!!!! I'm not even certain I will even be able to have children after all the therapies I have been on, many of which cause infertility. I know if I am supposed to have children I will. It's just a scary thought that some pills can be abortive. How can you really find out as to what the pill really does? [​IMG]