1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Birth control and Christian colleges.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul33, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Reproduction cannot be abused if the married couple trusts in God and does what humans have done since the beginning of time. I'm referring to mom's staying with the child until the child is weaned. Breastfeeding on demand is something most people can't even comprehend. Even after explaining it to others, they still don't get it.

No bottles, no pacifiers, no formula, no schedules. Just baby and mom together. If practiced, bf on demand results in the supression of ovulation on average 15 months.

The point of trusting God in the area of reproduction is to free oneself to live life to the fullest, without worrying about being pregnant or getting pregnant. Love God, trust him, enjoy your relationship to your spouse, and live!

If you have never lived this way, you can't comprehend how freeing it is!

2. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Johnv,

Politically correct nonsense.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Trusting in God does not equate to having God do everything for us. In trusting God, we must also be careful not to test God.

Certainly, I agree that spiritualy sound married couples should have as many children as they feel God is blessing them with. But that blessings is STRICTLY between them and the Lord. It is not the right of an outsider to tell a family how many or how few children they should have.

Indeed, reproduction can be abused. I years ago knew of a couple who had five children. The couple became unemployed with no income. They eventually were evicted from their apartment. They were homeless, and, get this, WHILE THEY WERE HOMELESS, they purposefully conceived another child. Two of their children had to be hospitalized for malnutrition since then. I think this qualifies as a reasonable example of abusing the gift of procreation.
    That's the best response you have in your repertoire????

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Come on, Johnv,

The world is not over-populated.

Illustrations of foolish people do not discredit the biblical principle that children are a blessing.

Spiritually mature couples don't have as many children they feel God is blessing them with, they have as many as God blesses them with. They don't make the decision. They don't worry about it. They enjoy life!

This WAS the practice of all protestant denominations before 1936!

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I never said it was overpopulated. My point is: the reason that "be fruitful and multiply" was written no longer exists, as we as a people have successfully multiplied to the point where we have dominion over the earth. It's part of the Old Covenant.

Didn't say otherwise. My point was that foolish people can abuse procreation, despite the fact that children are a blessing.

You imply that couples who regulate the times anf frequency of concieving are not trusting in God, and/or are worrying about it, and/or aren't enjoying life. That's a pretty unsupportable broadbrush.
    So was the use of the outhouse. That doesn't make use of the water closet a sin, nor does it mean that people who use flushable toilets are somehow not enjoying life.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Sorry Paul but that isn't always the case. I breast fed all 3 of my birth children. I got pregnant with Jon when Erin was only 6 months old. She'd never had a supplemental bottle of even water! I didn't feed her cereal or baby foods either. She sucked her thumb but all my children were fed on demand, day or night. NO crying it out periods, etc. I didn't have a cycle but knew something was going on... and stopped by the doctor's. I continued to nurse her until she was a year old but by then was 6 months pregnant and since my pre-baby weight was 90 lbs. I was getting pretty run down. I switched her to a cup.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A GREAT myth is that you can't get pregnant. Sadly, the doctrinal "giant" (tongue in cheek because he wouldn't know doctrine if it hit him) was John R Rice. MANY old school pastors were weaned on his books, like "Marriage and Family".

Full of really bad and hurtful misinformation. INcluding most of the stuff parrotted on this thread WITHOUT a Scripture basis.

I am fruitful. I multiplied. I was one. Then 3 kids. Now 8 grandkids. Better to keep the Griffin genes under control . . .

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting little study in answer to the question "what if we choose NOT to have children at all".

Where does God command BOB to have children - explicit or implicit

Gen 1:28 And God blessed ADAM/EVE, and God said unto ADAM/EVE, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Correct interpretation = commands to ADAM/EVE.

Application can be extended to all their descendants.

Same true in Genesis 9

What other verses would be explicit/implicit that I MUST have children?

9. foxrev

foxrev New Member

ORIGINAL POST BY PAUL33:
    "Most women who breastfeed on demand, meaning no schedules, bottles, pacifiers, on average will cease ovulating for about 15 months."

DISTORTED POST OF PAUL 33 BY DIANTAVEGIA:
    Originally posted by Paul33:
    "No bottles, no pacifiers, no formula, no schedules. Just baby and mom together. If practiced, bf on demand results in the supression of ovulation on average 15 months."

When you quote someone, PLEASE do not distort
    the FACTS and the TRUTH! In his defense, Paul 33 said: "MOST WOMEN . . . ON AVERAGE" not all women. And glad to hear everything went AOK with your pregnancy for your son Jon!

Bob says:
    "Full of really bad and hurtful misinformation. INcluding most of the stuff parrotted on this thread WITHOUT a Scripture basis."

"Mudslinging." Is that the way Truth marches on? NO ONE here has quoted Dr. Rice. Dr. Bob. I met him once, he was a sincere, God fearing man who was surely not proud of his acheivements. As to his book, I have never read it, just knew that he was opposed to BC.

10. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Bob says:

Come on Bob. You are smarter than that. Several times it has been stated that the amount of children should be up to God, NOT US. If God does not want you to have any, you won't. If God wants you to have 12, you will and HE will provide for them. Must be a week of classes/teaching is settling in! Trust you will have a great weekend.

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Yep, foxrev... My HUSBAND felt God led him to have a vasectomy after 3 and he did.

12. foxrev

foxrev New Member

In Response to Bob:

Malachi 2:14-15
    14. Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the Lord hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant.
    15. And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. . Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

[ October 22, 2004, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: foxrev ]

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

foxrev.... where does that say unlimited babies? I'm 54 in Dec. and still fertile!

14. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Dianetavegia:

You owe Paul an apology. Is that the least you could say for misstating his position and misquoting his words?

I trust your husband has no side effects from the vasectomy.

Tubal ligation has proved itself to be almost barbaric to women. The majority of tubal ligations lead to a hysterectomy which in turn, requires a woman to be on synthetic hormones, which are carcinogens. Which leads to more surgery for cancer. A "simple" tube tie, is not really that for our women and it greatly offends me that "Doctors" are indeed harming our ladies in this "simple" procedure. My wife will never have hers tied. Like many other "Procedures" that so-called "modern" medicine has, this appears to be a huge profit maker and all the while it is destroying a womans body.

15. foxrev

foxrev New Member

diantavegia:

Well great. You just said that your husband had a vasectomy. So, that means what???

The verses in Malachi are part of the purpose of marriage - to produce a GODLY SEED.

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Wow, Paul wrote Malachi??? News to me.

Jim has his vasectomy 28 years ago and no problems, thanks tho.

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Whoops.... Paul33!

I said: Sorry Paul but that isn't always the case. I did NOT misquote and I owe no one an apology.

I gave a true case and cut and pasted his words.

Diane

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

19. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Ok, some of this is getting really ugly, which does NOT glorify God. Maybe your marriage bed is glorifying to Him, but there are other things that are not. Let's be careful.
    I am another one who bf on demand and got pregnant while doing so. So, Paul33, glad it works for yall, but having both my children so close together has been pretty difficult. And I would like to see a source for the statistic that 60% of gals taking the pill still do ovulate therefore causing abortions.

20. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Dianatavega says:
    The point of trusting God in the area of reproduction is to free oneself to live life to the fullest, without worrying about being pregnant or getting pregnant.

This is purely self-indulgent. Being pregnant is not a confining thing. They are the best days of a womans life!