1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Birth Control is Abortion!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Trying2DoRight, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll agree with that and also add why his violation of natural law was so bad that God killed him for it.

(I'm repeating myself from another post)

I'm of the thinking that Onan did not impregnate Tamar because he knew that if she had a male child, it would be Er's and that child would receive the double portion and blessing from Judah. And Onan - who was now, with Er's death, the oldest male child - thought himself to be the inheriter of the double blessing and wanted it for himself. He enjoyed sex with Tamar but ejaculated on the ground so as to avoid losing his dead brother's inheritance that would go to him, if no son for Er was produced.

Onan was greeeeeedy little man. Greedy for sex on his terms and greed for his father's wealth.

The sin here wasn't one of making a decison to not have a child or birth control all by itself. The sin was [1] disobedience to God, [2] dishonoring the law of the levirate marriage, [3] dishonoring one's father (Judah told Onan to take Tamar in), and [4] dishonoring one's wife (Judah told Onan that he had a duty to her) and [5] the sin of keeping her a childless woman with no security - that would have put her in a bad place.

And, in my opinion, the overarching sin was the sin of greed - a selfish greed that would have and did cause disrespect and harm to others.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think you mean endometrium. :)

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope. Not at all!! I just seem to know a little more about conception and the Bible than you do. :)

Interesting because questions have been asked and we still don't see answers. We are allowed to ask but you won't answer?

What verse in the Bible says that preventing a pregnancy in couples is a sin?

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And I will disagree with you here. The sin was the clear disobedience of the law. It had nothing to do with the fact that he withdrew, it had to do with the fact that he would not fulfill the law and his duty.

Remember that we are not under the law.

5. Trying2DoRight

Trying2DoRight New Member

No, you do not. You just say you do. Saying it and doing it or 2 different things.

6. Trying2DoRight

Well, it may be because I just have not got around to it. Are you putting a time limit on me?

7. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Remember, the punishment for being disobedient to the law in this matter was simply public humiliation, not death. Onan’s actions evoked a much more serious response and he received death. Early Jewish and Christian commentators believed that by spilling his semen Onan had violated God’s natural law, the design he built into the human race, which led them to condemn the practice of birth control as being against God’s law.

8. Trying2DoRight

Here is the way I work this verse challenging deal...for example...When someone says to me....

"What verse in the Bible says that preventing a pregnancy in couples is a sin?"

I say...

"What verse in the Bible says that preventing
    a pregnancy in couples is not a sin?"

If it is good enough for you then it is good enough for me.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which means you are a troll. Thanks for making that clear.

10. Trying2DoRight

What did you see in me that persuaded you that I am a troll? I would like to know?

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's interesting because you've had time to post many posts since you were asked the question.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, it's interesting because when something is not mentioned in the Bible as sin, there are no verses for it OR against it as is the case here. If it's a sin, it's not mentioned in the Bible as such. So, if it's not mentioned in the Bible, is it sin?

13. Trying2DoRight

Genesis, Chapter 38
    8:And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.
    9:And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.
    10:And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    suspicions confirmed!!!!!​

15. Trying2DoRight

I want your opinion about something. If I came on your thread. And with no provocation or anything ever said to me and I posted this...

suspicions confirmed!!!!!​

How would you react?

Would you say...oh thank you...that makes me feel so wonderful. I love you my Christian brother!

Would you say...PRAISE THE LORD!

I just-noticed-this

just-want-peace

Now that is funny!

Thank you for making me laugh.

That felt good.

#55 Trying2DoRight, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do we see what the sin was here? It was not obeying in giving his brother a child. This is not directive in the issue of birth control.

17. Trying2DoRight

Abstaining from intercourse
    with the wife for the purpose of preventing a pregnancy
    is abortion.

Just like looking upon another women with lust is fornication.

If this is what you are understanding me
    to be saying...then you are understanding me correctly.

Do you have any more questions?

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please read post #41.

This passage is not about a couple practicing birth control.

It's about greed.

19. Trying2DoRight

You have been posting on my thread pretty much at will. And I really do not have a clear cut view of your belief concerning birth control. Please post exactly what you believe about birth control then I will tell you were I differ and we can debate them one by one.

20. Trying2DoRight

Thank you for bringing up the fact that they make money off birth control. Lots of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.