1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Birth Rates

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Shortandy, May 22, 2009.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well, Shortandy, go make yourself a whole gaggle of kids.

And let the Priesthood of the Believer thing work...and God will guide us as to what we should do.

Agreed?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

which is medically true, it's dangerous to keep having babies over and over, it nearly killed my daughter in law, 3 babies in 3 years. she was told if she did it again she wouldn't make it.

3. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Why so personal? Why not comment on the original question/comment? Our birth rates are lower than they have ever been. Why? Why are we having less children? And what will the outcome of this be?

4. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

How is my emphasis of the Priesthood of the Believer "personal?" And I said...if you wish to have a bunch of kids, by all means, go ahead.

A bit touchy, aren't we?

There are a multiplicity of reasons why "we" are having less children. There are some reasons (i.e., abortion) that are quite troubling; other reasons are completely between individuals and God, and are not for you or I to dissect.

Let's flip this over: let's say that every couple in the US has ten children. What will the outcome of that be?

Like I said...Priesthood of the believer. Why not leave it at that?

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the major factor in play is economics. Simply put, it is hard enough to make it on one income at present. If a family has several children, the cost of childcare often requires that the mother stay at home, but the father's income alone may not be enough to provide sufficient housing for a larger family. Another factor is transportation. Larger families require larger, less fuel efficient vehicles.

Sure, if the father is a physician or lawyer, then it may not be as big of a factor, but the average individual is not so fortunate.

Simply put, in the modern world, even for frugal families, having several children dramatically increases expenses without creating much income.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems to me that if God was/is in total control then a lot of people are buying birth controls for no reason. I believe there is a flaw in the logic there Donna. Also if you statement is correct then that makes abortion God's will also.

The same is true with medicine. If God is in total control we would not need medicines, surgeries, etc.

Are we interfereing with God's will with birth control, medicine, surgery, etc.?

8. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Not touchy at all. It just seemed that you where a little touchy in your statement. If I read something into that I am sorry....no big deal. All is well.Abortion is a reason for our lack in population.* But I wonder how much of this is our culture which seems to say, "a boy for me a girl for you praise the Lord we are finally through."* I can't tell you how sick I am of people coming to me and my wife when they find out our second child (due in August) is a boy and saying, "Yall are done now." And for the record I am not saying that we all need 10 kids. I am not saying that a womans health is not a factor. But the average is less than two in our country and based on these numbers a lone our culture will be dead in our kids life times. Im just asking why. If you feel its not my business then feel free not to share...but for those who are willing I would love to hear from them.

9. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

This is valid for sure. However, it can be challenged though. How many people who say they can't afford another child own boats or extra cars (all the big toys that most boys want)? Now I will admitt that some of what you are saying is true but for others the economic plea is a cover. Some could have one or even two more children....if they wanted them. But these are arguments in my former thread. So lets think of the video. Our birth rates are apporx. 1.6 in the U.S. for our Culture to maintain itself homes need at least two...three would be added insurance so to speak. Not 10 or 12...just 3. Yet in our culture it seems that one; maybe 2 kids are all that is needed. Can money be the only reason?

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder what the averages are in Utah and in the southern part of the U.S.?