1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bishop Would Deny Communion to Giuliani

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Oct 4, 2007.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

OK, I know this story will generate threads on the news or political side but I want to ask a different question here. Here is a link to the story:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071004/D8S24K980.html

In this story Raymond Burke, a catholic bishop in St. Louis, says he would refuse to give communion to Rudy Giuliani.

Let's save the political debate for the other forums, and let me ask the pastors and former pastors this:

Under what circumstances, if ever, would you deny someone communion?

Now I know that we as Baptists do not believe there is actual saving power in the elements like the Catholics do. And some of us celebrate closed communion and limit participation to our church members. I have always practiced what I called 'close communion' meaning that I would allow any professing Christian to participate but asked non Christians to refrain. Also I always talk about self inspection and encourage the congregation to either prepare themselves for communion or refrain from participating. (using I Cor 11:28-30 as my basis for this)

But if a man came into your church professing to be a Christian. For you closed communion guys lets say he is a member of your church. Yet he was involved in some sin that you had knowledge of (In Giuliani's case it is his support of abortion rights that upsets bishop Burke) would you deny him participation in the Lord's Supper?

#1 North Carolina Tentmaker, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2007
  2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just for the mix in the Corinthians passage where Paul discusses the Lord's table, he does not say to forbid those that take it wrongly but the warning is clear that some sleep and some are dead because they do. Sooooo why bother limiting, let the Lord deal with it directly.

:thumbs:

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I would deny the Lord's supper to any one or group who was taking it irreverently as is commanded in scripture.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree...and the priest has no business taking it either.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the Democratic Party pay off that Catholic bishop to say that?

6. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Actually, the bishop in John Kerry's diocese said the same thing in 2004 as a result of his support of abortion on demand, and i guess if he wanted to really split hairs he could have used Kerry's divorce as a reason also.

What we need to remember is that for a roman catholic being denied the eucharist is something life or death since their salvation hinges on being baptized into the church (christened) and partaking of the "body and blood" on a regular basis.

7. strykero1

strykero1 New Member

I don't think that Guiliani cares. In my opinion he is not a Christian. He is a known adulterer, among other things. How he plans to square that with the right is beyond me. His own sons want nothing to do with him, which should tell you something about his character. I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that Guiliani made a fool of their mother in public?