1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bivocational?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by uhdum, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

You would need one.

I found it kept me seeing the problems of the members better as well as the other folks. My wife has said, that I ask less out of the members than when I was full time.

I had a professor in school who said professors and preachers lose touch with so many of their members and the lost because they aren't in the hog pen working, but in their ivory towers. I've heard the same thing worded a little different from W. A. Criswell and Adrian Rogers as well.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Really? I've lived in the North, Midwest, flat South and Appalachian South, and heard tons of it all around from various circles.

And of course, not all bivo guys drive $50,000 cars.

I've heard this. However, it depends on the job and to an extent, the person. Some jobs I've had, I never see another soul. And the extra job has kept me from being involved in the community where I can make inroads with people like I did as a FT pastor. If you're going to be building witnessing relationships, FT ministry won't keep you from it if it's vital to you.

3. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

Has anyone had any experience with more than one bi-vo pastor at a time? Maybe they would work different schedules on their secular jobs and share the pastor duties. Even "take turns" in the pulpit.
    I have thought about this. The church can't afford any more salary so I would devide my "salary" with him (I could do this in nickles :rolleyes:). I am tired and could use a break every now and then.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Used to be several churches shared a pastor- I think they were called "circuit riders". I don't see how what you propose could be much different, except to say that someone has to be the official pastor, IMHO.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A friend and I did something like this in my early years. He was in Seminary, I in undergraduate. He took a small church and was getting buried, he asked if I would consider teaching the SS class for him and assist in other items.

It ended up he was the pastor and I the assist. He did the message and I the SS. When he wanted a break I would fill the pulpit.

All worked quite well thought we both had to retreat at times to save friction. Worked well for three years or so.

I would think the idea of an official pastor would be wise so people know where to go for questions etc. We both had some people that associated with the other more than ourselves but it never was a problem to my knowledge.

Probably depends on the two men and how bad the other wants your place :smilewinkgrin:

6. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I work midnight shift. security guard... had a couple of issues arise when folks were in hospital. i serve in a rural area so if you are serious,y ill you get sent to the big city hospital 100 miles away. last winter this happened twice. i did male phone visits but as the state was hit with 10 inch plus snowstorms it was unwise if not dangerous to make the trip. a member of the trutstee board was livid that i did not make the drive. i asked him how much driving he did during the storms and he stayed home. he did not thjnk it was a good idea to risk getting stuck in the woods in his 4 wheel drive. i asked how prudent it wiuld be for me to attempt it in rear wheel drive. his response was "i am not the pastor and you are." if driving 10 miles in a 4 wheel drive is not prudent then how about 100 in a rear wheel drive van? he repeated that i am the pastor and should have attempted it anyways. i guess pastors dont get stuck. anyways, all pastors deal with unrealistic expectations. it is part of ministry to point out when the member is being unrealistic. however we need to try making our point gently.

7. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I have actually spent the past two years working with another bi-vo pastor. It has allowed us to attend diffeent events and we rotate in the pulpit/sunday school. Next week I preach and he teaches.

He is the pastor and I assistant. My pay is a wopping $0 and I think he may get something like $50/month:thumbsup:

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I am a full-time public school music teacher and a part-time interim music director.

I would love a full-time church job, but that's not the way the market or the Church (capital "C") is heading.

9. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems like the seminaries are primarily interested in training pastors/staff members for larger churches. Again, that's just my $0.02.

10. uhdum

uhdum New Member

I am glad to see that my thread is fairly popular, and I must say that you guys are my heroes in the ministry, serving the way you do. It encourages me in my ministry to continue bivocationally...