1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Black Baptists

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by SaggyWoman, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is an organization called COEBA (Conference on Evangelizing Black America) started by Pastor Lou Baldwin. They plant IFB churches across America that reach the black communities.
    http://www.coeba.org/mserver/

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For several years I used to attend a Greater Zion Missionary Baptist Church on Wednesday nights . It was in the inner city ( duh ! ) .It was most certainly Arminian -- the pastor identified himself that way . I just needed to be outside an insular white envionment once in awhile . Several hundred attended a participatory Bible study . It got "interesting" in the book of Romans .

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends. Sometimes it means the church has made a major change - growth, new building, etc. Sometimes it means that a church has split, with one of them taking "Greater" to distinguish it from the original church while keeping the same basic name.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

The black churches I have attended have always been very warm and inclusive.:godisgood:

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The black churches that we correspond with are mixed, with both white and black. They have some black preachers, who seem to preach with some doctrine, but mostly exortation of their life experiences and their expectations in Heaven. Their singing, is great and on a whole, sing better than we do. We don't make any differences at all when they visit us and the same is true when we visit them. They live a distance from me, so I do not run into them as much as some of our other brethren. I did preach with one of their preachers last Sunday and He did good. He preached exactly what we preached, but with a lot of exortation, as many of the white preachers do. I personally like scripture preaching.

BBob,