1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Black Thursday?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by church mouse guy, Nov 24, 2015.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More and more stores are opening on Thursday in order to get the big spenders before they go broke on Friday.

Do you know how many stores will be open?

Walmart is advertising that they will begin Black Friday sales on Thursday at 6 PM. Sears and K-Mart are also opening on Thursday. Millions of people will be out shopping.

Maybe it is time to skip the food and just open the stores early Thursday morning so the merchants can get that extra buck on both a Black Thursday and a Black Friday--or has that already happened?

Please tell me other stores that will be open on Thursday as merchants gather around the cash registers to sing What a Friend We Have in Jesus.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why can't it be a white Thursday, or Hispanic Thursday? Sounds racist. Cool

• Like Like x 1
  3. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yahoo has published a list of some major stores that will be open. I think that everything should be open and the holiday downplayed so that people can make money, don't you?

"Companies that will be open on Thanksgiving include some of the nation’s largest retailers, including Target (TGT) and Macy’s (NYSE: M). Department stores such as Sears (SHLD), Kmart, J.C. Penney (JCP), and Kohl’s (KSS) will also be welcoming customers on Thanksgiving Day. Some specialty retailers will also be opening early, including The Gap (GPS) and Toys “R” Us. For Toys “R” Us, the holiday season is especially important. The fourth quarter, which includes holiday shopping, has accounted for 43%, 42%, and 40% of its annual sales in each of the last three fiscal years."

4. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having worked retail, which means having to work Black Friday, or even on Thanksgiving, I refuse to shop on those days. The worst for me was 2 years ago when I was working the overnight shift, Thursday from 5:30PM to 4:00 AM was the people coming in and telling me it was a shame that I had to be there. All I was thinking is I'm here because you are here.

Now I realize that stores are only responding to customers, its what they do in a capitalistic society, but why people thought it was ok to camp out in front of stores the night before Black Friday is beyond me. Customers are the reason they are open, and stores will always respond to what customers show that they want.

5. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you that it is no fun to shop those days. I have no intentions of buying anything on Thanksgiving. I think that it is Babylonian capitalism to exploit workers like that.

Perhaps you would agree that Black Friday and now perhaps Black Thursday have nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas? At any rate, you know that I have strong opinions so you can see how I deplore the trend towards a neo-barbarian society.

The American people need to shut down the stores as much as possible on national holidays.

I am not a pajama boy--I believe in the old World War II motto of use it up, make it do, or do without. I can make do without going to the store, and I have an idea that you can, too.

I used to listen to Lester Roloff on the radio. He told about one day witnessing to a cafeteria worker on a Sunday and inviting her to church. Needless to say, she told him that if he didn't go out to eat on Sunday, she could go to church. I reckon that he never went out to eat again after church on Sunday. I hate to shop on Sunday--always feel that I am getting cheated.