1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Blackaby's Experencing God

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Deacon, Nov 5, 2014.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hard to take criticism of EY Mullins seriously if it comes from anyone associated with the current administration at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary...particularly when it tries to implicate that Princeton provides a better way.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree. Mullins has been the SBC's go to for all things "headed liberal" for a while now. If you were to actually read Mullins, you would find this conclusion confusing and unfair. The book "Axioms of Religion" is a must read classic for every Baptist.

3. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

4. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our children (spiritual and physical) are watched by parents so that they don't choke on bones. To them it all looks like food.

5. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Have you ever been bless by someone that had been comforted and shared that with you?

6. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, I have gone through it three times in our church. I have used the Movies and workbooks all three times. I have no major problems with it. The last time I went through it was 15 years ago.

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and I call that witnessing! I just don't like books that teach us how to be what the Holy Spirit and good Bible study can do! Now don't get me wrong, Jedi, I believe there are some folks in the herd who need help, and books like these are a way to see things from a perspective they may not find through pure Bible study!

But my church spent a year at home Bible studies on the Purpose Driven Life, and I found it a waste of my time, and even questionable in some of the ideas Warren presented. But, I saw evidence of it blessing others, so, all I can say is, it weren't fer me! But if that is where some want to be fed, let them eat!

#27 righteousdude2, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  8. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Experiencing God Review

In my opinion, EG is a horrible book which undermines Sola Scriptura, but saying that we can experience God outside of His written Word. It is borderline mystic. I know that I am new here and did not read the other responses, but I have personally witnessed this book destroy the spiritual level of a church from higher to lower.

Sorry if I offended anyone, that was not the purpose of the post

Bill

Romans 5:1

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't call it borderline - I think it crosses the line.

Rob

10. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That Church went from pretty solid to mushy gushy from that Book. It is now a marginalized church

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Mysticism is not a bad thing, so long as it is flavored by humility and given its appropriate confines by the text of Scripture.

Some of the most influential Christians in history have been mystics. Just because it doesn't fall into line with modernist empiricism doesn't mean its a bad thing.

12. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am too new here to respond to this statement, but I look forward to hearing from those who do address the statement