1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blagojevich names Barack Obama's successor

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by LeBuick, Dec 30, 2008.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

2. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

This just gets better all the time....Focus shifts to DC.....

Yes, I like it when liberals act like liberals...

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Naw, this is to good to belong to one party, this is politics at its best. This is right up there with watergate and pardoning of Nixon.

Then there was the guy who said, "please seperate the appointee from the appointer". Like that's going to happen.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

This is no more to do with liberals than Larry Craig has to do with conservatives.

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

He had the authority to do it, he did, and the Supreme Court will uphold his appointment. The dems are in a quandary now. Fighting to keep a black man out of the Senate. Fun ain't it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Delay, delay, delay

Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:18 PM by Domenico Montanaro

From NBC’s Chuck Todd and Domenico Montanaro

One thing to keep in mind about the Senate Democrats' decision to fight the seating of Roland Burris, it's about buying time.

Should Burris decide to fight the U.S. Senate's decision not to seat him, it will go through the court system, just like what happened in the 1960s to Adam Clayton Powell. It took more than two years from when Powell was excluded from the House to when the Supreme Court eventually decided on his case.

Well, even if the Burris court case takes, say, three months to make its way to the Supreme Court, the landscape in Illinois will have changed dramatically. Blagojevich could be an officially indicted governor; he could also be impeached and then tossed out of office. The pressure on Burris to at least let the new governor make the appointment could become great.

Now, as for folks wondering why the Senate Democrats would feel so comfortable tossing away a Senate seat temporarily, remember that the Senate Dems now have numbers on their side.

With Al Franken looking more and more like a winner in the Minnesota recount, the Senate Democrats have seats to give for a while. And the Democratic leadership apparently has the long view on this seat; this isn't about getting a Democrat in place now to cast votes in 2009 and 2010 -- this is about making sure a Democrat can win in Nov. 2010.

- http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/12/30/1728197.aspx

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't think they'd reject him because of race, they reject him because of the taint his appointer has and because no one thinks he's re-electable in 2010. Sticking this guy in is like giving the seat to the GOP in 2010. He's tried and tried but never made it past the primaries.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree, the dems don't need anymore on the hill or they will have to accept all the blame for the next two years. The way it is now, the GOP has to support the agenda or it won't fly. Misery loves company and everyone loves a partner in crime.

9. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

It does not matter what they reject him for it will be seen a raciest because he is black. I love it the gov. knew what he was doing,

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I disagree that it will be viewed as racist but I see your point.

This guy just keeps screwing up and is ticking of the democratic leadership more everyday. I'm wondering if he has a screw loose, someone took a brick or is he really this arrogant. He is thumbing his nose at the Democratic leadership by saying, "I still have the power to appoint and if you take me to court I will win". In the meantime he picks a guy that's 71 years old and doesn't have a snowballs chance in boiling water of winning in 2010.

You think he's daring them to come after him hoping thy will make a mistake that will get him out of the impeachment? What else could he be thinking?

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are absolutely correct, LB. :thumbs:

12. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I'd hate to be the appointed right now.

13. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I've called things wrong before so this wont be a first.

Frankly, I think Blaglojevich.....oh, I'm tooo lazy to look up his correct spelling..........is a jerk, a rascal, and doesn't deserve the authority of his office or the respect that should be due it: He's crude and rude and has no ethics or morals it would appear: However, I believe the FBI broke this case too hastily and let it become public much too soon. If all they have is conversations hoping for a payback, a quid pro quo.... or whatever they call it... then its just an exercise in trying to prosecute like the thought police. Unless they really pull some smoking guns from the fire, he might could win with a good attorney and a jury which requires evidential proof.

In which case, his appointment, not only might stand..... but he might be able to pull some more shannanigans between now and 2010 to position himself into a run for that office. It wouldn't be the first time that the public rallied around a character considered to be unethical if not an indicted criminal. However, right now, his dirt is competing with the Democrats attempt to appear as the whitewashed party of morality and vision.

This whole case is a sad joke upon the people of Illinois and the country as a whole!

14. billwald

billwald New Member

It was a smart move - nominating the only black and honest politician in the state.

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Dumb move on Blagovich's part for a lot of reasons. In the end, Blagovich will be forced to resign or be removed from office, and the next governor will get the appointment.

The courts will stay out of it I imagine. They will recognize both the governor's right to appoint and the Senate's right to reject. The Republicans will have nothing to do with it, so the race card won't be able to be invoked because few if any will call the Dems racist in spite of their history of policy making.

16. OldRegular

If I am not mistaken he promised not to run in 2010!

17. OldRegular

If any group ever deserved a gutter mouthed slime bag like Al Franken as a colleague it is the Senate Democrats. Can't you just see them addressing him as the honorable gentleman from Minnesota.

18. OldRegular

I believe the black caucus in the house is already making noise.

19. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You can't see a difference? My oh my....

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well, they are making racial claims. At least, one buffoon is. But, keep in mind...the Blago folks recruited this idiot to speak on their behalf. The talk show circuit had rep. Bobby Rush on, who kept justifying the appointment, made brilliant statements on national TV such as, "Ya'll just needs to take a chill pill," and used the term "lynching" on several occasions. (That guy was a total idiot...the governor must be desparate to put such a buffoon on as a spokesman)

However, I seriously doubt this tactic will go anywhere. It certainly shouldn't.

I disagree. I think that the opposition to Blago's moves are not organized and not together. They'll get him out of office--I think--but they won't ever be in agreement enough to negate this appointment.