1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blasphemy Against Holy Spirit?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by hsmom3, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Whoops! My most humble apology. The quote that I provided for Acts 2 in my posts above was from the NKJV, NOT the NASB, 1995. The NASB, 1995, reads,

12. And they all continued in amazement and great perplexity, saying to one another, "What does this mean?"
    13. But others were mocking and saying, "They are full of sweet wine."

[​IMG]

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I believe it includes all of them. The people in vs 13 mocked, therefore they needed to repent and did...

3. Craigbythesea

Rom. 3:23. for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (NASB, 1995)

The people in verse 12, like all of us, had sinned and needed to repent—and they did so, and they were forgiven. The people in verse 13 blasphemed against the Holy Spirit and were beyond forgiveness.

Matt. 12:32. "Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

[​IMG]

4. I Am Blessed 24

I disagree. The people in vs 12 did not sin, therefore there was no need for repentance.

The people in vs 13 did sin and Peter told them they needed to repent, as in the scriptures I posted above.

5. Craigbythesea

Your interpretation contradicts Matt. 12:32, mine does not. And most certainly EVERYONE has sinned and must repent in order to be forgiven.

Acts 2:38. Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (NASB, 1995)

[​IMG]

6. I Am Blessed 24

I was talking about the fact that they sinned in laughing. They were ignorant and did not know they were mocking God, so it was not 'willful' sinning. They had never seen anything like that before...

How do you know Peter was just talking to the people in vs 13? He made no such distinction. Peter did not say "all of you who did not laugh" repent...

7. Craigbythesea

In verse 38 Peter wasn’t just talking to the people in verse 13—he wasn’t talking to them at all. Peter knew and had just shown publicly by quoting from the Old Testament that they had committed the unforgivable sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, and telling them to repent would be futile. He was speaking to the people in verse 37, who were the same people as in verse 12 who stood there “in amazement and great perplexity, saying to one another, ‘What does this mean?’”

Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? (NASB, 1995)

To those who mock and otherwise blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, the word of the Lord says,

Prov. 1:26. I will also laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your dread comes,
    27. When your dread comes like a storm And your calamity comes like a whirlwind, When distress and anguish come upon you. (NASB, 1995)

[​IMG]

8. I Am Blessed 24

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one Craig. ;)

9. Link

Link New Member

Aaron,

You haven't proven your point from scripture. You referred to a scripture and then made some arguments that contradicted the verses of scripture in question.

Jesus said that WHOEVER blasphemed against the Spirit would not be forgiven. He did not make exceptions for the ignorant.

the passage does not say that the Pharisees believed Jesus was the Messiah and denied his miracles anyway. It is clear from the Gospels that the Pharisees who opposed Jesus did NOT believe in Him.