1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bliss

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pete Richert, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

So I have always conveted the MacArthur study Bible but never laid my hands on it as I am a broke and have a hard time convincing my wife that I NEED more books (or Bibles for that matter, I got a handful) but I got a 50$ gift certificate from buy.com from my parents. So I go zipping over there with plans on my mind for a MacArthur Study Bible as well as the Reformation study bible, figuring I can pull that out with 50$ if I go for the hardcovers. I was shocked, depressed, outraged, saddened, and flaborgasted that buy.com DID NOT CARRY MacArthur's study Bible, nope, not at all, not that I could find, zero. They had the Reformation Study Bible but I didn't just want it and . . . well, out of frustration I didn't buy anything for a couple of months. Then a new xbox game was coming out that I was interested in. Now I only have four games and only buy them in the give away rack of the bargin bassment shelf in the very used store, but this game I really wanted and I thought, why not, birthday gift, splurge on yourself big dog. So I then planned on getting the game (which is about fifty bucks). Well, I kind of stalled on that too because it wasn't coming out to the end of August, and my wife was to be gone Aug 20 - Sept 8 and that is when I would have the most time to play it. But after shipping it probably wouldn't arrive til Sept 8 and then it might not be worth it. I could always try to rent it and get ALL my gaming in and then it would cost me 5$. So I stalled on that too.

But then, just now, I went back to buy.com and decided to put in MacArthur again to see what would happen and wouldn't you know it, THERE IT WAS! For twenty five bucks MacArhtur study Bible was available, and another $25 put the Reformation Study Bible in my basket, and yippidy ying yang I am on my way!

I AM SOOOO excited. It will be my first NKJV (I have just about everything else) and previously the only Study Bible I have ever had was Ryrie (a terrific study bible but let's get some other view points).

2. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Pete, are you saved?

The only version to use is the slimline ESV.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I LOVE my Mac study Bible. Still not comfortable with the NKJV to use it as my main pulpit bible (although I have a $9 GIANT print NKJV and breaking it in.

I LOVE my New Geneva (now Reformer's) study Bible. Print is excruciatingly small, but worth reading.

YOU ARE BLESSED, friend, to get one instead of a st-pid game! Think eternity! [​IMG]

4. DCK

DCK New Member

He can't be saved. He admits that he covets. [​IMG]

5. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Are you interested in buying MacArthur Study Bible? If so, are you a Calvinist?

6. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

D-Bob, I am thinking eternity here. I will be able to fellowship with Jesus and the real John MacArthur for billions of years but I only have another sixty or so to get all my xbox playing in!

Yea, I am comfertable with that label. I am not so hard line as some in that I don't try to make every passage fit the five points. I accept some tension in the scriptures over the issue, perhaps another theological paradox. At sometime we all become confterable with Jesus being FULLY HUMAN and FULLY DIVINE and that doesn't bother us anymore so why not this.

How about you?

7. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Originally posted by Askjo:

If so, are you a Calvinist?

Why, is that a prerequisite?

8. Bugman

Bugman New Member

Askjo are you still on this MacArthur is heritical thing?

If a person is going to buy a study bible they are going to buy on that they agree with.

Bryan
    SDG

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have had as my "basic" study Bible an old Scofield (actually four of them since 1957). I do not agree with his position of the "Gap", of the "church ages in Rev 2-3" and of the "Universal Church".

Still use it and enjoy it. Make no never mind.

But will admit that if you are not "reformed" you won't enjoy MacArthurs or the New Geneva very much.

10. Askjo

Askjo New Member

No, I am not a calvinist. I understand you are interested in calvinism. I respect your freedom of religion . I use the John Rice Reference Bible, but I disagree with his belief in *dictated* inspiration.