1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blogging Our Furlough

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by John of Japan, Aug 5, 2011.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After flying on 5 planes and being in 6 airports over 5 days, we arrived in Lansing, MI, on Friday evening the 9th. We slept pretty well--maybe dividing jetlag into two sessions is a good idea! While in Lansing we're staying with our niece Amy and her husband Albert, who we love. Interestingly, this is kind of returning the favor, since Amy lived with us last furlough while I was finishing my MA and she was in college. And Albert would come over to see Amy!

Early Saturday morning I was out front waiting for Prof. Milligan to pick me up and take me to the Ambassador Martial Arts Christian Fellowship annual meeting, where I was scheduled to be the guest instructor. I had never met this man, but we had a blast talking over the martial arts styles and people and history we knew on the way to Kalamazoo.

Now you may be wondering how I taught the martial arts what with what I've been saying about my knee problems. I chose to teach Saam Chien ("3 Wars"), a linear form from Fushan, Fukien, in southern China. This form is not only an excellent way to teach kung fu principles (breathing, energy, posture), it is a very historical form, being the Chinese basis for the famous Okinawan Karate form called Sanchin. And it requires almost no twisting and turning, so it caused no knee pain. I then taught the energy of striking (snap, shock, push), and finally the famous one inch punch, which is really a push.

I found the leader of the AMACF, Phil Lewis (7th black), and his Shinsei Kenpo style to be excellent, and the other instructors of the organization to top notch as well. Had a great time serving Christ in this unusual manner!

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

John, is your wife enjoying herself as much as you are? :D

Just kidding!

It sounds like you all are having a great time.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is she ever! Saturday while I was gone her best friend, sisters and nieces took her out and shopped all day at Macy's! Her best friend bought her a bunch of furlough clothes. At one point they had her in a dressing room for a couple of hours straight, bringing outfit after outfit for her to try on. As the young folk say, "Woohoo!"

4. menageriekeeper

She doesn't do karate with you?? I'd have rather gone to the seminar than shop, lol. Unfortunately my back/neck won't allow me to practice any longer. Seems to be a choice between surgery and karate or no surgery and no karate. I bet you can guess which combo I've chosen. :/

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She made it to green belt, and usually goes with me to events. When I run an event she makes a great karate secretary! But this time a girls day out was irresistable to her. :smilewinkgrin:

Sorry about your back. That's rough, but God understands of course.

6. menageriekeeper

LOL, John. I at least got my black belt before I had to give it up! :D

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I threw my back out once.

Never did find it again.

8. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Walsh Colorado is on the opposite side of the state from me :tear:

But it IS on Hwy 160!!! :tongue3:

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very cool. Ever think of trying Tai Chi? It might be a lot easier on your back, and does have self defense applications if you get the right teacher.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, how close do you need to be in Colorado, anyway?

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Baptist with no spine?? It cannot be! :smilewinkgrin:

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're in Chattanooga now staying with my sister Faith. Today we saw Mom for the frst time in 3 years for me, 6 for Patty. Mom's Parkinson's has taken its toll. This may be the hardest thing about being a missionary--being away from loved ones and friends for years at a time.

This eveining Faith had Dr. and Mrs. James Price over for supper. Dr. Price is a noted Hebrew scholar, an editor of the NKJV OT. He was my Hebrew teacher in seminary, and a fellow teacher at Temple with Faith, so they have have been friends for decades. He is a quiet, thoughtful type, and Mrs. Price is an outgoing, witty woman. We had wonderful conversations about how they met each other, how we met each other, a little about happenings, etc. At the end Dr. Price prayed a prayer of blessing for our travel, ministry and NT translation effort, which he is very interested in. Before leaving we said we'd have to get together to discuss the translation some time.

God has been wonderfully supplying our needs. We have a 2008 Chevy Impala from Dave Hall, Inc., a car dealer in Marlette, MI. Dave turns over the car for the furlough, then the missionary pays the difference in what it would have sold for, and what it actually sells for at the end of the furlough. There are always 30-35 cars out to missionaries from this missions-minded car dealer.

In the meantime, Patty's brother Phil gave us a nice new laptop for use on furlough and in Japan. And Faith just today took us down and got us cell phones on her family plan. God is so good! And I do believe that believers are more aware of the needs of missionaries than when I started deputation 33 1/2 years ago.

Next week--our son, finally!

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Please tell Faith that we said hello. I'm pretty sure she would remember us- I believe she also knows our oldest son (Jonathan) who graduated from TTU.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will do. :wavey:

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, you forgot to give us your phone # !:1_grouphug:

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, huh, right out there in the open on the Internet!! :eek: But of course if someone PMs me....:thumbs:

17. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Depends on the weather....Sometimes we drive to Denver, and it is
    a 7.5 hour drive, but if the weather is bad, it might take 10-11 hours.
    OF we don't go at all - those mountain passes can be a mess in the
    winter.

You would be about 6-7 hours driving time from me on Hwy 160
    in that town you mentioned.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! I forgot how big Colorado is.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had a great time with my sister and her kids in Chattanooga. It was nice to see Mom, but she's much less alert than the last time I saw her three years ago. The Parkinson's has taken its toll, and she has dementia now.

We're in Wake Forest NC now where our son is. Last night we three were together for the first time in 6 1/2 years, though I saw him 3 years ago and Patty saw him almost three years ago. It's so good to be here with him. This evening we'll have dinner with his mentor in the Ph. D. program, Dr. David Alan Black. We're looking forward to meeting him and hopefully his wife, though she may not be able to be there.

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It's puny compared to Texas. Now if you ironed out those big hills you might have something...:laugh: