1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bloody do-gooders

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by npetreley, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Southern

Southern New Member

I think most Arminians would agree that a person needs "assistance" or "wooing". The question is, does God intend to save each and every individual without distinction and give these same "assistance" and "wooing".

In Christ

2. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

The 'assistance, wooing, or calling' that you have spoken about is potent enough to lead all sinners to Christ. First the Word must be understood as to the meaning of His life, death, resurrection and ascension. God, of course, uses different forms of providence to guide the soul to Himself. At times God the Spirit repeatedly speaks to the human heart. After a certain period of time, unnamed by me, the sinner becomes even more callous against the Lord.

The Lord at times deals with both the saved and lost in this way. 'He,who being often reproved, hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy.' [Poverbs 29:1] Many passages in the Psalms deals with the Lord bringing judgment on the lost. :(

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes - He "convicts the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment".

John 16.

In Christ,

Bob

4. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Bob Ryan,

This is a wonderful verse from the Bible; do you have an exact rendering of this informative statement?

Here is an example of how the Totally Depraved soul can understanding the goodness of God. And we know that in some cases, it leads them to repentance and faith in Jesus. The Holy Spirit gently prods the lost toward His Cross and their forgiveness and inner peace.

Thanks for the reminder of the verse. It and you have blessed me today. Praise to the Lord!

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. It is proof that the Holy Spirit works with the World "convicting the WORLD of Sin and Righteousness and Judgment".

Calvinism has not yet been able to confine Him to a box.

In Christ,

Bob
    </font>[/QUOTE]Duh ? :confused: :rolleyes:

So those men and women who rushed in while everybody else was rushing out were convicted by the Holy Spirit to go in ?

The guy who kept passing on the life ring to others in the subzero waters of the Potomac River in that plane crash many years ago was convicted of the Holy Spirit and that was not personal courage and common decency ? He knew the longer he stayed in the water, the slimmer his chances were of surviving and as a matter of fact when the chopper came back for him as the last man in the water, he was gone.

C'mon, Bob, disagree if you will, but base your disagreement well, and not simply because it's Pinoy Baptist who said something.

6. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What about the sheep and the goats, people?

Yours in Christ

Matt

7. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Someone said,
    You get an A in history but an F in theology. You better study the theologians but more importanly, the Bible, the Word of God.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This someone asks:

"Which theologians, the ones you studied under ?
    Forget it." [​IMG]

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are missing the point. You arguing that this guy does this great deed out of his own inner goodness. I on the otherhand argue for total depravity and the fact that every good thing only comes from God. So "yes" that guy was acting at the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

Bob

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is a wonderful verse from the Bible; do you have an exact rendering of this informative statement?

Here is an example of how the Totally Depraved soul can understanding the goodness of God. And we know that in some cases, it leads them to repentance and faith in Jesus. The Holy Spirit gently prods the lost toward His Cross and their forgiveness and inner peace.

Thanks for the reminder of the verse. It and you have blessed me today. Praise to the Lord!
    </font>[/QUOTE]Ray -

Thank you for the kind words. I agree that the verse above in Romans 2 and the one in John 16 about this work being done for the whole world, brings Arminianism to light in the scriptures.

Bob

11. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Bob,

A correct and more Arminian view of this passage {Romans 2:4} indicates that God is a good God and not One Who betrays a mass of people allotted to become the unredeemed. He is also God of forbearance {merciful} and not predisposed to damn some and save the remnant. The true God is also one of longsuffering {long and patient endurance while being offended}. In other words, the Godhead is patient toward sinners and is not quick to damn souls. And the word 'longsuffering' reappears in II Peter 3:9 where it says, 'The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering (long in patience toward those who antagonize Him), not willing that any should perish, but that ALL should come to repentance.' This shows that God did not sit back in eternity and plan the salvation of some and damnation of the remainder of people.

It is most clear that the Holy Spirit calls sinners, but they must yield to Him in repentance and faith.

When the Great White Throne Judgment tribunal in the future [Revelation 20:11] is convened all sinners will be without excuse as to why they neglected or rejected Jesus.

No one will be able to say, "Lord, you made me one of the non-elect." This, now and then will be a non-entity. This is merely the depraved imagination of religious persons in the past, present and will not serve the sinner well at the judgment when God convenes at His court of Divine justice.

Do you agree?
    [​IMG]

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed. When God convicts the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds - they will not be able to respond "Well of course I did not serve you - you are not the God of Love for me - only for the FEW. For me you have shown yourself only as the God of vengence and arbitrary selection. What on earth would ever have been an argument for me to serve the God who only hated me?".

They will not have that chance because it will be "shown" that nothing of the kind is true of God's ministry in their behalf. RATHER it will be shown that EVEN for them HE IS the God of Love. HE is the God who gives grace and blessings to the just and the unjust. He is the God that calls the WORLD to repentance, who is the light that coming into the world enlightens EVERY man.

You are soooooo right.

In Christ,

Bob

13. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

"Bloody Do-Gooders"

'The title seems to say that those who do 'good works' are to be looked down on for their efforts. Am I reading you wrong? Ephesians 2:10 indicates that because we are in Christ, we are to strive with the blessing of the Spirit to bless others and God Himself by our 'good works.' The Apostle Paul says that we should ' . . . walk in them.'

The Book of James reminds us that if our faith is genuine, then we will offer up also, to God, our 'good works.' In this way sinners will see that we are the sons and daughters of the living God. Are we not living epistles seen and read by all people? If we have faith in Jesus, surely we have to live obediently to God with a life of holiness before a lost world.

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "bloody xyz..." in general is a common term used in the UK and generally regarded as a form of swearing. (At least that is what someone from Newbold told me one time). They claimed that the "bloody" term is a reference to the cross.

Food for thought.

In Christ,

Bob

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

So why are we bloody swearing then??? That's how I read it too; the OP words are normally the opening line of a rant, usually by a white male in a bar, addressed to his friends (or anyone else in earshot)

And, for the third time, what about the non-bloody sheep and the goats?

Yours in Christ

Matt

16. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The title was just supposed to be funny and a bit ironic. As an aside, the phrase "bloody do-gooder" always reminds me of this ungrateful ex-leper scene in Monty Python's Life of Brian...

EX-LEPER:
    All right, sir. My final offer: half a shekel for an old ex-leper.

BRIAN:
    Did you say... 'ex-leper'?

EX-LEPER:
    That's right, sir. Sixteen years behind the bell, and proud of it, sir.

BRIAN:
    Well, what happened?

EX-LEPER:
    I was cured, sir.

BRIAN:
    Cured?

EX-LEPER:
    Yes, sir, a bloody miracle, sir. God bless you.

BRIAN:
    Who cured you?

EX-LEPER:
    Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business. All of a sudden, up he comes. Cures me. One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by your leave. 'You're cured mate.' Bloody do-gooder.

BRIAN:
    Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?

EX-LEPER:
    Ah, yeah. I could do that, sir. Yeah. Yeah, I could do that, I suppose. What I was thinking was, I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the arse, to be blunt. Excuse my French, sir, but, uh--

MANDY:
    Brian! Come and clean your room out.

BRIAN:
    There you are.

EX-LEPER:
    Thank you, sir. Thanks-- Half a denary for me bloody life story?

BRIAN:
    There's no pleasing some people.

EX-LEPER:
    That's just what Jesus said, sir.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Point.

18. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Very confusing! I think I need to go beddie-bye. Maybe my mind will be clearer in the morning! :confused: :confused:

19. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Who's been a Very Naughty Boy, then, Nick - watching LoB?

The LoB quote is a typical use of the phrase, as I said, more often than not used by white males in the pub eg: "Bleedin'-heart liberals - bloody do-gooders!"

Yours in Christ

Matt

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I first saw Life of Brian as an anti-Christian atheist (saw it dozens of times). As a Christian, I still think most of it is hilarious. I am deeply offended by the end, however, when they make fun of crucifixion.