1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bloomberg poised for third-party campaign

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JGrubbs, May 15, 2007.

1. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg is prepared to spend an unprecedented $1 billion of his own $5.5 billion personal fortune for a third-party presidential campaign, personal friends of the mayor tell The Washington Times.

"He has set aside $1 billion to go for it," confided a long-time business adviser to the Republican mayor. "The thinking about where it will come from and do we have it is over, and the answer is yes, we can do it."

Another personal friend and fellow Republican said in recent days that Mr. Bloomberg, who is a social liberal and fiscal conservative, has "lowered the bar" and upped the ante for a final decision on making a run.

The mayor has told close associates he will make a third-party run if he thinks he can influence the national debate and has said he will spend up to $1 billion. Earlier, he told friends he would make a run only if he thought he could win a plurality in a three-way race and would spend $500 million -- or less than 10 percent of his personal fortune.

A $1 billion campaign budget would wipe out many of the common obstacles faced by third-party candidates seeking the White House.

"Bloomberg is H. Ross Perot on steroids," said former Federal Election Commission Chairman Michael Toner. "He could turn the political landscape of this election upside down, spend as much money as he wanted and proceed directly to the general election. He would have resources to hire an army of petition-gatherers in those states where thousands of petitions are required to qualify a third-party presidential candidate to be on the ballot."

Senior Republican officials -- including those supporting declared Republican presidential nomination contenders -- and several top Democrats told The Times they take the possibility of a Bloomberg candidacy as a serious threat in November 2008.

Source: Washington Times

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope he does it - just for the fun of watching the Democrat and Republican Parties in hyper-panic mode.

3. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I would like to see if they are able to stick to their agreement they made, after the 1992 elections with Ross Perot, to never participate in a national debate with a third party candidate. I would like to see them try to keep a third-party candidate with a $1 billion dollar campaign out of the debates.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

He probably would be the spoiler that splits the Republican vote, giving the election hillary.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish he would use his billion dollars to back a real third party candidate instead of himself.:praying:

Just wishful thinking, I know.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This could be an interesting scenario: Hillary Clinton as the Democrat nominee, Rudy Giuliani as the Republican nominee, Michael Bloomberg as the major independent/minor party candidate - all three New York liberals.

I wonder what evangelical conservatives would do. Would they stick by their words from the past 27 years about the importance of the abortion issue and other social issues and refuse to vote for any of these three candidates? Or would they compromise on abortion and other social issues and tell the unborn children and those who support traditional marriage, "Sorry, but we have to try to keep Hillary Clinton out of the White House, so we are going to vote for Giuliani. Maybe we'll get back to trying to save you and traditional marriage in 2012."?

#6 KenH, May 16, 2007
    Last edited: May 16, 2007
  7. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

He wouldn't be allowed to, McCain campaing finance won't allow anyone to donate more than $2000 to a candidate.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :tonofbricks:I forgot about that little tidbit.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't even have to think about it.

Bloomberg and Giuliani would split the conservative/Republican vote and Clinton would become president by default, sort of like someone else named Clinton.

I'd sit this one out. Voting would be a waste of time.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard a Bush conservative talk show host on a late night talk show I was listening to(I don't know his name as it is not a show I regularly listen to at midnight) saying that he thought that Bloomberg would split the vote with Hillary Clinton and ensure a Giuliani victory.

You have to remember that Bloomberg was a life-long Democrat who joined the Republican Party simply to run for mayor of New York.

#10 KenH, May 16, 2007
    Last edited: May 16, 2007
  11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe it will matter.

There are too many "party" voters.

I'll stick with my probable scenario.