1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boaz's Other Wives?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by drfuss, Dec 5, 2006.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

In the 4th chapter of Ruth, Boaz marries Ruth. Boaz was a rich man. In those days, a man could have more than one wife, i.e. Samuel's father, David,and Solomon. I think a man could have as many wives as he wanted and could afford.

Since Boaz was a landowner with many servants and therefore wealthy, he probably had many wives. I think Boaz had other wives, but it was not necessary to mention them. Also, Boaz was acting as the kinsman redeemer. What do you think?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kind of like boats, cars, baseball cards, or other material objects, eh?

If it's not necessary to mention, then why are you mentioning it? :laugh:

3. drfuss

drfuss New Member

It was not necessary to mention the other wives because Ruth was the only wife in the lineage of David. I was wondering if anyone had any information on Boaz's other wives, if any.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think if the Bible does not say he had other wives, then maybe he didn't. Not all men necessarily had more than one wife, and it was not a practice instituted by God. I don't think it was ever okay for men to have more than one wife - it's just that some men did it.

#4 Marcia, Dec 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2006
  5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    .....:thumbs: .....

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Have ya ever noticed these guys with multiple wives always had trouble on their hands? lol

7. drfuss

drfuss New Member

If a man died and had no children, his brother was obligated to marry the dead man's wife and raise up children for him. The Kinsmen Redeemer. It does not say the brother could not have other wives; He was probably already married. At least in this case, having more than one wife was instituted by God through the law.

8. w_fortenberry

w_fortenberry New Member

Read The Context

This is incorrect. If you will read Ruth 4:1-6, you will find that there was a nearer kinsman redeemer than Boaz who chose not to take Ruth as his wife lest he "mar [his] own inheritance." In other words, since he already had one wife, he could not take another. This provision for the nearest kinsman to pass his responsibility to another kinsman is the only reason that Boaz was ever able to marry Ruth. Thus, having more than one wife was not instituted by God.

9. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I disagree.

The fact that he said "might endanger my own estate" does not say he did not have already have a wife. He may mean he would have trouble with his existing wife or wives. Who knows? If the near kinsman took his dead brother's wife without having another wife, he would only raise up seed for his brother and his own inheritance would be lost. The purpose was that all inheritances would be continued.

The requirement in the law is in Duet. 25: 5-10. There is no mention of the surviving brother not to have his own wife. This requirement would be of little or no effect if the surviving brother could not be married. In most cases, the brothers would be already married.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The Deut 25 passage does not indicate that the brother must marry if he is already married. It indicates he is to father her child so that the child of the dead brother can carry on the brother's name.

Do you believe polygamy is biblical and approved of by God even today?

11. w_fortenberry

w_fortenberry New Member

You will notice that in Deuteronomy 25:7-10 provision was made for the brother-in-law to choose against marrying his brother's wife. Please notice also that the nearer kinsman in Ruth 4 followed the exact prcedure outlined in Deuteronomy.

The statement that I am debating against is your claim that "having more than one wife was instituted by God through the law." This claim is incorrect. There is no law in the Bible which requires that a man have more than one wife.

12. drfuss

drfuss New Member

True, the man is not required to perform his responsibility. But he is shamed and publically disgraced if he doesn't. I didn't say it was required by God. I said it was instituted by God through the law. The brother was not required to marry his dead brother's wife, But he was obligated to and publically disgraced if he didn't.

Duet. 25:8-10 - Then the elders of this town shall summon him and talk to him. If he persists in saying "I don't want to marry her," His brother's widow shall go up to him in the presence of the elder, take off one of his sandals, spit in his face and say, This is what is done to the man who will not build up his brother's family line." That man's line shall be known in Israel as the family of the unsandaled.

Marcia writes:
    "The Deut 25 passage does not indicate that the brother must marry if he is already married. It indicates he is to father her child so that the child of the dead brother can carry on the brother's name."

See Duet. 25:8-10 above. The issue was marrying her. It says nothing about just fathering children.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So you are saying God approves of polygamy?

Amazing! I am almost astounded (only almost as I've been on the BB long enough to see some strange views) that a Baptist thinks God approves of polygamy.

Hmm, maybe time to start a thread on it.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I posted this on the new thread and I'll post this here:

God's original design was a man and a woman - Genesis 2:24 says "Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh." It's not the two becoming one - but one flesh - the word being "basar" which is a physical word. It's not a spiritual becoming one but a physical one. I don't think you can become one flesh with many people.

God also forbade the kings of Israel to be polygamous (Deut. 17:17). Look at the trouble when they disobeyed, including deadly sibling rivalry between David’s sons from his different wives; and Solomon’s hundreds of wives helped lead Solomon to idolatry (1 Kings 11:1–3). Also, Hannah, Samuel’s mother, was humiliated by her husband Elkanah’s other wife Peninnah (1 Sam. 1:1–7). When Abraham took another woman, he started an entire rivalry and divide between people that is still going on today!

I think God allowed polygamy for a time due to the hardness of their hearts (much like He did divorce). When it WAS practiced, nothing good came out of it. In the New Testament, there are descriptions of what kind of man should be the leaders of the church - and one requirement is that he be the husband of one wife. If this is a quality that is honorable along with the other qualities of being sober-minded, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, etc., then I think it's a quality that all Christians should strive for.

BTW - 009NY - I see that you said in your profile that you are Presbyterian but go to Shelter Rock Church - which is a Baptist church, not a Presbyterian church. I know because I'm great friends with Steve and Michel Tomlinson (and have been for over 25 years now. Is that the church you go to? If so, good church!