1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Barr offers an alternative to Senator John Sidney McCain III

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, May 18, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob Barr offers an alternative to McCain

Posted by Paul Mulshine May 17, 2008 11:59AM

I don't usually support third-party candidates for the simple reason that they have no chance to win and often spoil the chances of the candidate whose views are the most like their own.

George W. Bush has changed my view on that.

My biggest regret as both a political pundit and a voter is that I didn't push the Pat Buchanan candidacy back in 2000. If I had, I could have spent the last seven years saying "I told you so" as regards the horrendous left-wing presidency of Bush.

By left-wing, I allude to Bush's insistence on increasing the size and power of the federal government at every turn while also ignoring its real responsibilities, such as border security.

As for foreign policy, many people believe Bush's approach has been right-wing.

I regard this as nothing more than a liberal plot to discredit conservatives. The neoconservative foreign policy endorsed by Bush comes directly out of left-wing ideas of internationalism.

So who should get the support of conservatives in the 2008 election? I'm looking at Bob Barr. Barr, a former Georgia congressman, is running on the Libertarian Party ticket. Check out this interview with Barr on National Review Online. Asked about why he's running for the Libertarian nomination, Barr said:

"I think the continued deterioration of the rule of law and separation of powers by the current administration really has driven home the point to me that we need to do something dramatic to reverse that trend, and simply working on the outside -- not as a candidate -- would not accomplish what really needs to be done to highlight these deteriorations in civil liberties, the rule of law, and the separation of powers by this administration."

Barr goes on to give a solid explanation of traditional conservative values. That those values have migrated out of their former home in the Republican Party is good reason to consider voting for Barr.

- rest at http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine/2008/05/bob_barr_offers_an_alternative.html

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Barr can potentially appeal to disgruntled conservatives who see the choice of McCain or the Democrats as analogous to picking between being punched in the stomach or kneed in the groin. This includes both the enthusiastic -- and generous -- grassroots activists who powered libertarian Congressman Ron Paul's GOP presidential campaign and many more conventional Republicans in whom McCain inspires dyspepsia. No less a mainstream conservative than Rush Limbaugh has argued that McCain's election would lead to a revival of Rockefeller Republicanism. To some on the right, that's as bad as extending the Clinton dynasty."

- www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=13009

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Been saying this all along but when Rightie hears it? He keeps waving his flag and telling me it's conservative and patriotic to be an internationalist. Go figure.

#3 poncho, May 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2008