1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Jones University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Pastor Shaun, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor Shaun

Pastor Shaun New Member

Hey guys,
    I talked with a guy that worked in admissions at Bob Jones University. It seems like a nice institution. I don't believe they are RA, anyone know why or a potential status of being RA?

What is the word on this school?
    Anyone with a comment about Bob Jones?

God Bless

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

BJU was non-accredited until 2005, when it received TRACS.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Shaun Response

Pastor Shaun,

Let me welcome you to the BB!:wavey:

It might save you some time to research this on the BB. It has been done and redone. But no one new like yourself would know that. That way you will get the lay of the land so to speak.

I look forward to having many delightful discussions together.

"That is all!":laugh:

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

Welcome Shaun.

I think you are going to find Bob Jones a polarizing school. What I mean is that people either love it or hate it without to much in the middle.

I am in the love category. I think it is a great school. As TCGreek pointed out they only recently received TRACS accreditation but there standards of academic excellence have always been way above your typical unaccredited Bible School. My wife is an alumni and we have spent lots of time on the campus. We know lots of other alumni and I have yet to find anyone who had trouble with transfer credits or graduate school acceptance. I went to a state college for my undergraduate work and the academics at BJ are as good as any I saw.

Now they are a fundamentalist type school and have some pretty strict conduct rules. I disagree with many of these on a personal level, but when you agree to become a student you agree to follow such standards whether they match your personal beliefs or not. I have no problem with that.

My oldest is a high school sophomore and is considering BJ as his top pick for his undergraduate work (yes he is already planning graduate school). While I don't want to force him to go anywhere specific I am very pleased with his choices so far.

Do a google on Bob Jones and read up on their history and controversies. I am still mad at John McCain over the 2000 campaign issues, but I also recognize that it helped fix a bad rule and move the school forward.

5. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

If you would prefer a mini-BJU I would recommend Maranatha!

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Value of a BJU education?

BJU degrees were generally well received even when they were unaccredited. BTW, they were non-accredited by choice. The claims of non-accreditation by conviction for many of the "less than wonderful" schools lack creditbility but BJU could have achieved RA if they had desired to do so.

BJU has a long list of well-known and successful alumni. Moise Silva, Robert Reymond, et. al. are among well respected Biblical scholars. A whole host of bright young scholars, such as Andy Naselli (assistant to D. A. Carson), are coming out of BJU.

BTW, I don't see BJU seeking RA status anytime soon.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having gone to BJU two years, and having my MA from Maranatha BBC, I beg to differ. Though they are both Fundamentalist, Maranatha is strongly Baptist, but BJU is interdenominational, having been founded by a Methodist evangelist. They are quite different schools.

8. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Good point! Yes, I agree completely with J of J. However, I would describe BJU as "nondenominational" as opposed to "interdenominational."

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always get those two mixed up! :confused:

10. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Quite different? Really? I guess I am just refering to the RULES :laugh: .

No seriosly, considering that a lot of the Maranatha faculty come from BJU, you don't think Maranatha could be deemed a mini-BJU? Even on BJ's "baptist" side of things?

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BJU Response

Hello J Of J et al,

Well, I have sat here just about as long as possible. I must speak.

BJU is just about one of the best in class schools to be found anywhere. If you are looking for an education. If you are looking for degrees that are transferable into the "real world" outside of those walls then you can nearly forget it.

I was reared in a semi-Fundamental SBC church with a "Bob Jones man" as pastor so I know of whom I speak. Education, culture, refinement, etc. are all top notch in my book. If anyone cares to read my book!:laugh:

But, there has been (I do not know about now) an air of snobbery, elitism, and/or Pharisee legalism that permeated all that I personally contacted for at least 20-30 years. It was like when young people from the church wanted to attend an SBC school the attitude was: "I guess you can get a good education there" or at a state university.

I am sure that that may have changed since some of the "old guard" that was once in charge has died and gone on to their final rewards. I would beg for someone to help scare away these stereotypes from me.

Please help this "recovering legalist" by clearing up these ideas in my head.

"That is all!"

12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

That pretty much sums it up.

Only an independent, fundamental Baptist could find a distinction between BJU and Maranatha. Quite different, really?

13. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I'm with you on this one. It all comes down to the whole IFB vs. SBC history; which I would argue, is dying and should not be emphasized anymore [insert smiley face opening can of worms]

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point taken about the faculty. However, MBBC is unashamedly, strongly Baptist. That means there are much different emphases in the classes, especially in the Bible department. That to me was a huge difference.

15. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    J of J Request

J of J,

I need a comment from you on my comment!:laugh:

"That is all!"

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okey dokey, Rhet. Here's my comment.

BJU in the past produced a kind of elitist loyalty from their grads. I think this harks back to Bob Jones Sr., probably. There is a leadership style in some churches, colleges and other institutions, as you know, that builds loyalty by building up themselves at the expense of others. That was my impression of some BJU grads in the past.

My impression nowadays is that they are reaching out and trying to outgrow that. Being out here in Japan, I don't speak authoritatively, you understand. But I think the TRACS thing shows this. Also, I did get to a BJU alumni banquet about 12 years ago, and was very impressed with Dr. Bob. III and his attitude at that time--though he is no longer president, I understand.

Another point. BJU appears to be impressing evangelicals nowadays with their product, some of whom are seeking higher degrees elsewhere. D. A. Carson of Trinity recently gave some excellent comments about the new breed of fundamentalism. And not coincidentally, his current top student in the Ph. D. program there (according to my son) is Andy Naselli, a Ph. D. grad from BJU. Check out his blog at: http://andynaselli.com/theology/. The comments on fundamentalism are around 40' of Carson's message on that site.

God bless, brother.

17. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

When I went to TEDS from BJU via Grace (Winona Lake), I was railed at by my independent, fundamental Baptists for being a new evangelical. I guess I was just 25 years too early. It would be nice to receive an apology. Oh well. Deep sigh. :laugh:

The problem with BJU and their cohorts is that they never apologize for all of the damage they have done to others in the name of fundamentalism.

They change their position but they don't apologize for the harm they have caused to those who were ahead of the curve.

Interracial marriage.
    Accreditation.
    Attending TEDS. :laugh:

BJU lacks integrity for not apologizing. It is their biggest blind spot and they will give an account to God someday for it.

Blessings! And I'm not bitter. At least not anymore.:godisgood:

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Paul, you are probably a very good man with the best of intentions but you obviously cannot give a fair and balanced view of BJU because of your negative experiences with them. When our personal experiences arouse feelings of such intensity, our views on the subject become skewed. You say, "[T]hey will give an account to God someday for it." Well, let God judge them, not us. I like the quote of old Judge Learned Hand: "Never judge another man until you have walked a day in his shoes."

Please accept my point in the spirit with which it was offered--friendly advice.

19. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

J of J, wouldn't you also agree that there has always been a soft, compassionate side to Fundamentalism but it was often overshadowed by the more belligerent, bombastic elements? In fact, the kindest, most compassionate people that I know are Fundamentalists. On the other hand, the most deplorable aspects of Fundamentalism are also found in all the other groups as well including Evangelicals, Roman Catholics, Neo-evangelicals, Liberals, Modernists, Postmodernists, etc. It's just that the label has been applied enough (and some Fundamentalists have given reason to make it credible) so it has stuck and we have a stereo-typed, pervasive (although inaccurate) view of Fundamentalism. What do you think?

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Naselli's site is an incredible resource ! I just spent the last 15 minutes skimming over a tiny fraction of it and was quite impressed .Thanks for that JoJ .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.