1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Jones vs. Pensacola vs. Maranthana

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jacob Gastrich, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Jacob Gastrich

Jacob Gastrich New Member

Although I will be attending Southern next year, I know of a friend that is looking to attend Bob Jones, Maranthana or PCC. Has anyone been to any of these and what are your views? This guy is not KJVO, and he has a heart for the word of God.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My son graduated from Maranatha in 2004, and we both got our M. A. in Biblical Studies there last year. The wife and I were extremely pleased with how they handled a young MK fresh off the mission field who talked in Japanese in his sleep. It is Fundamentalist, fairly small (about 900) in student body, not strictly KJVO but generally using the KJV. It is also much more specifically Baptist than BJU or PCC. Both of those schools are non-denominational, though their student bodies draw mostly from IFB circles. If your friend wants to be a Baptist preacher, it's Maranatha all the way.

Maranatha also has pretty good programs in music and education. However, if he wants a Christian education in another field such as medical, pre-law, etc, then I recommend BJU, which mellowed somewhat under Bob III. From all I hear, PCC has mellowed not at all.

Hope this helps!

God bless from Japan

P. S. Pensacola is strongly TR only, but not KJV only in the strictest sense of the word. BJU is not KJV only at all, and I'm sure uses other versions in the classroom. The Greek profs are generally for the UBS Greek text, and not the TR.

#2 John of Japan, Aug 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2006
  3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I would generally agree with John's assessment and my daughter is a PCC grad.

I have another personal favourite if your friend wants to be a Baptist preacher though.

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    vs. vs. vs.

To all who have an ear:

I know of the academic prowess of PCC and BJU. Don't know about the other school.

And here I goeth beating the drum again and again and again!!!!!

The primary education would be great at those schools no doubt. But if the young person ever, and I mean ever, wants "to go out into the cold cruel world" of "real academics" (read RA accreditation) then it will be hard to take that degree and get in some where other!

As grand pappy McCoy use to say; "No brag just fact!"

Thinkaboutit!:thumbs:

sdg!

rd

#4 Rhetorician, Aug 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2006
  5. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

No to PCC.

MBBC is "not strictly KJVO?" When schools dictate what translation you are allowed to use,I think that is a "red' flag. I don't know what MBBC's policy is, but it was implied in a previous post.

BJU - It would seem to be the best choice of the three. I hope Steve Jones changes the school a lot!

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rhet, Maranatha is accredited in the cruel world of real academics. :thumbs:

God bless.

John

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, they do require the KJV for classroom use, but they used the UBS in my sons's Greek class. :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin:

8. MatthewDiscipleOfGod

My brother and sister in law both graduated from Maranthana. My brother in law is currently a youth pastor. As far as I know he was very pleased with Maranthana. He is KJV only but he did recommend using the UBS Greek bible for learning Greek.

9. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

If MBBC is producing graduates who are KJVO, then I would not recommend it to anyone.

Question: What percentage of the professors are KJVO?

What percertange of the students are KJVO?

If this position is being tolerated at MBBC, then that is truly disappointing.

10. MatthewDiscipleOfGod

I wouldn't have any idea what the percentage is. So if a graduate comes out of a seminary and still believes in KJV only then that seminary is automaticlly not to be recommended? Are you sure you have your priorities right? Of course I admit if a seminary teaches anything but a young earth I don't recommend them. ;) Of course the real question is does the seminary teach KJV onlyism or does it just not discourage it? There is a big difference.

11. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I doubt any professors are KJVO. Dr. Larry Oats, the chairman of the Bible department, is an opponent of the KJVO camp. Though the KJV is used in the classroom, students wouldn't get stoned for carrying other versions with them.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a second witness on this.

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Whew! That's good to hear.

Thumbs up for MBBC.

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Granted. That' why I wanted to know the percentage.

However, I don't buy the argument that independent fundamental schools can remain neutral on this issue. If MBBC, NBBC, BJU, et. al don't want to take a stand against KJVO, then they won't be on my recommend list.

These schools need to discourage this faulty position, and they can start doing that by allowing their professors to teach and preach from other translations than the KJV.

15. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

Umm....BJU is accredited.

It is not KJVO. Some teachers reference other versions in class. They preach from the KJV but I think that is mainly to keep things uniform.

16. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ophelia Observation

Ophelia,

I have been called an educational "Prude" and "Snob" on the BB before.

I say that to say this: "Regional Accreditation" such as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (or one of its sister organizations) or the Association of Theological Schools are the two "big boys on the block!"

Let me hasten to say this: TRACS IS an accrediting body. But as of yet, it does not have the stature of the two mentioned above. BJU I believe is trying to become a TRACS' school. So, on one hand it is accredited to a measure; but, on the other hand it is still not "full-fledged."

I apologize if this is offensive to you or anyone else.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

17. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

No it's not offensive to me at all.

I just know of many people that have gotten into prestigious post grad schools with a degree from BJU. But at the same time I don't think everyone should go to BJU. Some secular school are better when it comes to certain fields....

18. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

I have a friend who sent her two daughters to BJ. One graduated and wanted to get into officers training. The military wouldn't accept her credits, so she went to Clearwater and took another load of classes and technically graduated from there--then the military took her credits. I think she had to go two years. Her other daughter, after graduating from BJ tried to get into a Master's program at Ohio State and they wouldn't take her credits either.

My friend said that they got a GOOD education at BJ, it just didn't do them any GOOD. She feels like she threw away $100,000 on their education. She was glad that we chose the Maranatha route. I would caution to check out grad schools and their acceptance of BJ credits before going there. I would also ask about their accreditation that they are trying to get--that is supposed to come through in November--if it will be acceptable.

It seems that it takes someone to "break through" to get the Master's programs to open up to BJ at many universities. I know that University of Illinois now takes BJ students into their grad music program and I'm sure that many other places do too. Just do your homework! There is no doubt that one will get a great education at BJ.

19. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I understand it, BJU's lack of accreditation only became a problem in the last ten years or so. Before that its grads had minimal problems in transferring to other schools and programs.

20. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

I've heard of BJU and Pensacola. Maranatha? Where is it?