1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bobby Petrino Leaves Falcons for Hogs!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, Dec 11, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]Bobby Petrino resigned as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday and will become the head coach of the University of Arkansas, the NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.

This is on www.nfl.com.

Provided that this really works out this time for the Hogs it will be like being down 0-7 in the bottom of the 9th inning and hitting two grand slams.

WPS!

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just keep posting any report of the new coach at Ark, and you'll get it right eventually. Maybe even this time.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bobby Petrino >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Houston Nutt

BIG TIME UPGRADE!

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word is that the press conference will be at 10:30 p.m. tonight.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Smart move on his part. The Falcons are a mess, and not what he signed up for.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Based on what? What has Petrino won or done at the college level? He had a couple good teams with Louisville, but thats about it. What makes him such a big time upgrade?

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a couple of good teams? BP's record at Louisville:

2003 9-4
    2004 11-1
    2005 9-3
    2006 12-1

Total - 41-9

8. PastorSBC1303

Pretty good four year run no doubt. But again what did he win with those teams? Would Louisville had those records in the SEC?

I actually think this is a good hire for Arkansas, and as web pointed out it is a great move for Petrino based on the mess of the Falcons. But let's not make this out to be the hiring of a coach with some National Titles under his belt or something. If I recall Nutt had a pretty good track record coming to Arkansas too.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He had coached one year in Division I and had a losing record at Boise State.

I think it is clear that Petrino is a major upgrade from Houston Nutt, just as I think that Nutt is a major upgrade from Orgeron for Mississippi.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I have been telling friends for weeks I believe that Petrino would head back to the college ranks. I am surprised he would go to ARK. I figured he'd land at Michigan or UCLA.

I don't want to hear any UT fans gripe about Fulmer getting a raise at TENN. He has a national title, two SEC titles, and several SEC East titles, and the winningest active coach in America. And he makes 1/3 to 1/2 what coaches who haven't won anything earn.

And by the way, don't count Miles out at Michigan. Michigan is tired of getting turned down, and Miles is going to be courted very strongly. It's still going on, and Miles could have his cake and eat it too by coaching the title game and then going to Michigan right after. Stay tuned.

#10 TomVols, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2007
  11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A BCS bowl game? A conference championship?

For all those who were enamored by Nutt... he did absolutely NOTHING of significance. The attitude I've heard most often is "Arkansas should be satisfied with 8-4," or something like that. With the financial backing that Arkansas has, with the facilities Arkansas has, with the athletic monopoly Arkansas has...etc., etc., Arkansas is in a position to compete on a national level.

What has plagued Arkansas under Nutt is recruiting. Nutt's 1965 offense and his off the field drama has undermined recruiting recently. Petrino brings the solution to both of those problems.

12. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I have to agree that Petrino is an upgrade from Nutt. He was rumored to be in LSU's sights after Saban left; but keep in mind he has a record of roaming like Saban also. When he left Louisville at the end of 2006 it was a huge relief to many of the Card faithful because it seemed like every year he seemed to be scouting for the next stop.

And as for Miles and LSU; while i know nothing in modern college football is certain, he said he was in discussions with Michigan as of late as a concerned alum helping them in their coaching search and he has no intention of leaving LSU: http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=1351311&DB_OEM_ID=5200
    And i will add that Miles is not Saban, which means he seems like a man of his word.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Phillip Fulmer may well be underpaid (at today's rates for top coaches), but I'm pretty sure that fans of John Gagliardi (453 wins in 59 years as a college head football coach, and counting), surpassing along the way, the two late greats Eddie Robinson in wins, and Amos Alonzo Stagg in years as a head coach;

Bobby Bowden (374W, 42Yrs);

Joe Paterno
    (371W, 42Yrs);

Frank Beamer (208W);

Jim Tressel
    (208W);

Dennis Erickson (198W);

Mack Brown
    (188W);

Chris Ault (177W);

and the just "run out of Dodge", Dennis Franchione (187W), who may or may not still coach again, to name but a few, might not agree that Philip Fulmer is exactly "the winningest active coach in America".

In fact, Phillip Fulmer, with 144W, is not even "the winningest active coach in the Southeastern Conference".

That distinction, I believe, currently belongs to Steve Spurrier, who has amassed 175 Wins as a head coach, with 163 as a college coach, and 12 as a pro coach, while prowling the sidelines.

Ed

#13 EdSutton, Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

OK, I fell asleep. Is this a really done deal?

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    yep really done... another guy who can't keep his word to his players or the clubs owner... and another university that pays him to break it.

He had talked to Blank and McKay on Monday afternoon before the game andf they thought he was staying... how silly of them. :tonofbricks:

16. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

The movement of coaches between teams is getting ridiculous. Hopefully, the NFL will stop hiring these wanna-be college coaches. None of them are ever successful in the NFL, except the very first one - Jimmy Johnson, and he already had experience at the professional level at U. of Miami. After several abject failures from college to pro, the NFL GM's will hopefully stop hiring these guys. The next NFL hire should be Mike Singletary, IMO.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Cute!

And pretty accurate as well, I add!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Maybe a bit of an overstatement??

I dunno about this. I seem to recall a couple more coaches who were at least "fair to middlin" in pro football after being college coaches. How about Don Coryell? Lou Saban?? Blanton Collier?? Paul Brown?? Weeb Ewbank?? Dick Vermeil?? George Allen?? Sid Gillman?? and George Seifert, just to name nine??
    I seem to recall all them winning a couple of games as pros, and all actually being considered more successful overall, as pro coaches, than they were as college coaches, with the possible exception of Don Coryell, who to this day, remains the only head coach to top 100 wins in both college (127W) and pros (111W ). In fact, a great deal of today's passing game, is a direct result of the work of Gillman and Coryell, two of the most astute and inventive minds to ever coach, with Coryell the effective inventor of both the "T" and "I" backfields.

But I do have to agree with another poster.

Bobby Petrino's 'word' doesn't mean "diddly-squat"!

He gives a whole new meaning to "looking out for #1", IMO!

And I'm guessing he keeps both Atlas Van Lines and Mayflower Moving Company on "speed-dial"!

Ed

#18 EdSutton, Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...just wait til Michigan hires Les Miles...

20. PastorSBC1303

Of what conference tho? You really think those Louisville teams woulda done anything in the SEC???? Come on now, thats just silly.

Time will tell here. Again, I think this is a good hire. I just think Arkansas fans are so desperate to try and compete in the SEC that they are making way too much out of this guy.

My prediction is that in few years after he has won a few big game, had a couple decent years, but still not challenging the likes of Florida, LSU, Auburn, Tenn that the Hog fans will all be complaining again "If we only had a good coach!" Yadda Yadda :tonofbricks: