1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bobby Petrino Leaves Falcons for Hogs!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably won't happen, he'll have moved on by then. This is what coaches like him and Saban do. They go, win some and move on to higher and higher stacks of cash.

I do wonder where the responsibility of University Presidents lies in this. They complain that their players have no character and then pay a guy enough so he will break his contract.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Waa-yull, except for maybe the Louisville Cardinals roundballers, with a now suspended player who is a real Caracter. :rolleyes:

Ed

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Compare the winning percentages, not total number of wins.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Card nation was not relieved. However, they were not shocked. They knew they could not keep a hot coach. It's not impossible, but it could happen. Louisville has some great facilities and I don't think ARK is a huge step up (it is conference wise), but BP was lookin for the first train outta dodge. Friends told me that had Jurich not went after Kragthorpe (sp), an old friend, that Petrino would've loved his old job back not long after taking the Falcons job.

BP wants to be the main draw in town. That's the bottom line. You're not the main draw as the football coach in Louisville. Some guy named Pitino has a little more uumph there.

And Andy's right. We're probably not going to see a college coach jumping to the NFL for a while, barring a special circumstance an unusual pedigree.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Hopefully it will become such after Coach Petrino has been there for a few years. :)

2) At the University of Arkansas Coach Petrino has the opportunity to be the main draw in the entire state.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

That was not what you posted.

Ed

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well, it's been the accepted statement on every Vol telecast on every network for eeons. But let the record reflect that he is the winningest active coach by percentage. Or if you will, he has the highest winning pct of any active coach.

You're not bitter over the nation's longest winning streak being Tenn over the Cats are you? ;)

Speaking of Tennessee coaches, Cutcliffe (OC) has interviewed at Duke. I wouldn't see him taking that job, but you never know. Ole Miss was just stupid for firing him.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Me bitter? No, just wanting to be accurate.

And for that matter I did not know (or particularly care) that the nation's longest football winning streak was that of the Volunteers over the Mildcats, 'er I mean Wildcats.

Ed

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Looks like I was wrong. Cutcliffe may indeed take the Duke job. UT will be losing almost all it's offensive staff if Trooper Taylor takes the Baylor job and Kurt Roper & Matt Luke go with Cutcliffe.

10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Came across a great stat about petrino: in the last 16 months he's signed 20 years worth of contracts with 3 different groups.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Adolph Rupp coached BB at UK for 42 years and never had a contract; 'Red' Auerbach never had a contract with the Celtics as the coach; Just saw where the new head coach of the Tononto Arrgonauts of the CFL just signed his first contract, after never having a signed contract as a coach until he was 57 years old, John Wooden caoched most of his career on a one year Contract with a one-year option, and Eddie Robinson was first hired at Grambling for ten weeks. And I seriously doubt that Gen. Bob Neyland, Amos Alonzo Stagg, and John Gagliardi all put together ever had twenty years of contracts between them. But all the above had trust!

Kinda' puts some of it in perspective, doesn't it?

Ed

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am glad that he finally got it right. As the old saying goes: The third time's the charm. :)

13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Wow talk about Hog Spin

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You got that right!

I give this a guess of about three years. Four tops!

In 23 years as a college coach, he has seen exactly one senior class that started as freshmen with him.

Also probably why he departed Atlanta, when he did. The maximum number of college football games possible in one season, including a bowl game, for a school is normally 13, which he had reached.

And Coach Petrino will only keep one long-distance mover on speed-dial, as opposed to his current two! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

#34 EdSutton, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2007
  15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll gladly take those three or four years if that is how it works out. :thumbs: