1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Body of Steelers Fan Viewed in Recliner

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by dianetavegia, Jul 7, 2005.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Body of Steelers Fan Viewed in Recliner

PITTSBURGH — James Henry Smith was a zealous Pittsburgh Steelers fan in life, and even death could not keep him from his favorite spot: in a recliner, in front of a TV showing his beloved team in action.

Smith, 55, of Pittsburgh, died of prostate cancer Thursday. Because his death wasn't unexpected, his family was able to plan for an unusual viewing Tuesday night.

The Samuel E. Coston Funeral Home erected a small stage in a viewing room, and arranged furniture on it much as it was in Smith's home on game day Sundays.

Smith's body was on the recliner, his feet crossed and a remote in his hand. He wore black and gold silk pajamas, slippers and a robe. A pack of cigarettes and a beer were at his side, while a high-definition TV played a continuous loop of Steelers highlights.

"I couldn't stop crying after looking at the Steeler blanket in his lap," said his sister, MaryAnn Nails, 58. "He loved football and nobody did (anything) until the game went off. It was just like he was at home."

Longtime friend Mary Jones called the viewing "a celebration."

"I saw it and I couldn't even cry," she said. "People will see him the way he was."

Smith's burial plans were more traditional — he'll be laid to rest in a casket.

___

July 6, 2005 - 1:44 p.m. EDT

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/General_Football_News/FBN_Fans_Farewell.html

Copyright 2005, The Associated Press.

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

[​IMG] As a Brown's fan, I would have to question his salvation ;)

4. west

west New Member

Now theirs a die hard fan !

5. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

This is definitly a point to ponder!

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

A can of beer, a pack of cigarettes, a Steeler's blanket on his lap and people are sobbing...

7. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is dedication to your team I suppose!